Proposed Lakota Changes

I saw some wonderful ideas in the Discord I think should be looked at here. This is now or never for Lakota changes so I hope these get traction.

1. Hunts should allow gold to be generated from the Tribal Marketplace, increasing whenever a certain amount of hunts are killed.

2. The current Tribal Marketplace is boring and lame. And it’s awkward that they can only be built next to mines. It feels tacked on. The Tribal Marketplace should be used to boost hunting rates using an aura, be the actual building that generates the gold per second like a Kancha, and/or contain upgrades related to this mechanic.

3. The Tribal Marketplace should have zero connection to gold mines and Lakota will not utilize gold mines at all. An exception maybe that you cannot gather gold at a mine near a Tribal Marketplace.

4. Late game either:
    a. A building generates Bison automatically (Like the Rus landmark) allowing for the hunting mechanic to be used all game.
    b. Farms generate gold but at a much slower rate and are boosted also by the Tribal Marketplace. This would simulate crop sales.

5. Estates/plantations should be 100% removed for Lakota.

EDIT: I completely changed my mind below.

1 Like

Farms should be removed as well. The Lakota economy should be simple and inflexible, but powerful when the player makes the effort to make it work.

Streamlining food and gold to come from one method each should allow for each to be more heavily upgraded, but make them more inflexible and reliant on map control to sustain the economy.

My own mod combines the two - Tribal Marketplaces produce bison passively over time, and hunting cards and upgrades reduce this timer. Tribal Marketplaces also produce gold indefinitely, and increase the hunting rate of nearby villagers.

2 Likes

None of these are reasonable changes.

5 Likes

Exactly, so get rid of it! It’s entirely unnecessary and creates confusion with the actual market.

Luckily they have a building that now has a gathering boost aura that would be perfect for this role: Teepees. Teepees should allow a fraction of yield from hunts to generate gold (could be toggled like Mountain Monasteries). Only the Lakota had a taboo against mining so using their unique building should be fine. Haudenosaunee can just be reverted to mine normally.

A Buffalo Pound is the only thing that remotely makes sense. I think it should work like a Hacienda where villagers work to generate Bison. That way you could offset the super high gathering rates of late game hunting by needing to commit villagers to Bison creation. Combine this with Teepees allowing gold generating from hunts and you have a solid economy. Buffalo Pounds could also be a Cree building if they ever get added.

Why do you want to remove Estates specifically? They’re not any more or less accurate than Farms so if you’re going to have one you might as well have the other.

1 Like

Exactly, so get rid of it! It’s entirely unnecessary and creates confusion with the actual market.
Luckily they have a building that now has a gathering boost aura that would be perfect for this role: Teepees. Teepees should allow a fraction of yield from hunts to generate gold (could be toggled like Mountain Monasteries). Only the Lakota had a taboo against mining so using their unique building should be fine. Haudenosaunee can just be reverted to mine normally.

You’re right I was overthinking it. Teepees should be central to this system. My only qualm is I wanted Hauds to have a “Fur Trade” system of their own for flavor purposes. The teepee is exclusive to the Lakota so they would have to make a separate system for Hauds.

A Buffalo Pound is the only thing that remotely makes sense. I think it should work like a Hacienda where villagers work to generate Bison. That way you could offset the super high gathering rates of late game hunting by needing to commit villagers to Bison creation. Combine this with Teepees allowing gold generating from hunts and you have a solid economy. Buffalo Pounds could also be a Cree building if they ever get added.

After some thinking I think it should just be hunts which will run out over time just every other civ with gold mines. They shouldn’t be allowed to get more hunts after they are depleted as it would be imbalanced. Estates can fulfill the gold gathering role for late game play as you stated.

Why do you want to remove Estates specifically? They’re not any more or less accurate than Farms so if you’re going to have one you might as well have the other.

You’re right. I tend to overcomplicate things. Estates back in lol.

All in all: Buffalo Hunters (rename): Teepees now have a hunting speed aura and can choose the percentage of hunt gathered to convert to gold, and Lakota cannot mine gold whatsoever. Late game, estates are used similar to other civs.

1 Like