[PUP] Object Name ID is bugged for custom name strings

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

:point_down: These details are CRITICAL; DO NOT skip them or your issue may not be reviewed.

• GAME BUILD #: December PUP
  • GAME PLATFORM: Steam
  • OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

:point_down: DESCRIBE THE ISSUE IN DETAIL (below). LIMIT TO ONE BUG PER THREAD.

Running the PUP, the game cannot read the name of units that are renamed via custom strings IDs, using the Modify Attribute > Object Name ID.

It results in displaying the code name of each unit (the 5 cap letters code, like “UCATA”…), and fails to read the custom string linked to the custom ID.

I must add that the bug occurrs not only on loaded saved games (as of in the current build) but also on starting a new fresh game.

This is a PUP related issue, and should be corrected before the next official update.

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

:point_down: How often does the issue occur? CHOSE ONE; DELETE THE REST!

• 100% of the time / matches I play (ALWAYS)

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

:point_down: List CLEAR and DETAILED STEPS we can take to reproduce the issue ourselves… Be descriptive!

Here’s the steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Modify an Object’s name via the Modify Attribute > Object Name ID effect using a custom ID linked to a custom Name.
  2. Test the scenario.
  3. Observe that the game doesn’t read the custom string’s ID, and thus display the default “code” name of the unit in question (5 capital letters).

:arrow_forward: EXPECTED RESULT

:point_down: What was SUPPOSED to happen if the bug you encountered were not present?

The game should read the custom string’s ID and display the correct name on screen, like it does in the current version of the game, and all previous versions.

:arrow_forward: IMAGE

:point_down: ALWAYS attach a PICTURE (.jpg, .png, .gif) or VIDEO (.mp4, YouTube link) that highlights the problem.

:arrow_forward: GAME FILES (SAVE / RECORDING)

:point_down: Attach a SAVE GAME (.aoe2spgame) or GAME RECORDING (.aoe2record) of the match where you encountered the issue. Link it below if using an external file service.

I assume you are using a mod with the scenario to add the new strings. I was not able to reproduce this problem with or without a mod. This issue will happen if the mod is not loaded and thus the new string is not there for the game to read. Make sure that the mod is enabled (it can be disabled by the game when switching between normal and PUP builds) and that it’s working properly. Don’t forget to restart the game after enabling the mod (text mods still require this, which is a known issue).