(PUP topic) More access to Badass Mercs please <3

I have been noticing in the recent patches the rise of amazing mercenaries. Their custom skin, historical significance and usefulness in battle makes them appear prominent in 15minutes-1 hour+ games.
Though they become avaialable via RNG.

In the recent PUP here is list of units you can gain access to. They are often one time wonders unless RNG favors you.

Portugal-Tower Rider. 30% more melee attack and 15% more HP. It makes the age 1 Ranged Cav card good. But its too reliant on RNG.

Dutch- Red Lancer- a Badass Stradiot with Uhlan flare. 1.20x vs Infantry with x.90 Heavy

British- Highlanders- Super soldier that has HP regeneration and +1 more range than normal highlanders( They have an infinite card for mercs at age 4)

Spanish as of the current update gains access to the Irish Brigadier and the most amazing fusilier variant the Waloon Guard.

I was wondering why Ports and Dutch cant get access to their units via trainable from Tavern…
Brits…I can completely understand why they shouldnt because Red Coats should appear more stronger as the Heavies of Brits.

8 Likes

The more mercenary they add in game, the more units native americans can’t make. It is unfair. Also please give asian civs option to upgrade the mercenary units. All europeans have mercenary contractor age up and cards. Asians have nothing. And native americans completely can’t get mercenary

7 Likes

Portuguese and Dutch also have the problem that they can’t get access to a card that can give them more Order Knight Black Riders and Red Lancer Stradiots respectivelly, while British can get more Black Watch Highlanders from the age III merc card and the "Hire Highland Mercenary Army"card.

Imo Native Americans should get mercs through the native embassy.

1 Like

I agree, Ports in particular should be able to make Order of the Sword Black Riders when they send the church card and pay for the age IV tech. I don’t think Dutch should get lancers though, enough civs already have lancers.

Dutch already have Elmeti if you think about it. But the 3 pop of Red Lancers advantage is nothing to scoff at for a 135 pop army on Treaty.

Yep, I’ve suggested as such - makes sense and gives all civs a little more equal footing.

1 Like

Meanwhile there are civs like India etc, that dont have any or near negligible ANTI merc-spam capabilities

1 Like

I will never understand why Asian civs were completely left out of the DE mercenary rework that gave only Euros infinite mercenary shipments, unique age up focusing on mercs and access to imperial age mercenaries.

1 Like

The simple answer is japan and what happens when japanese buffs are applied to imperial mercs

u get stuff like 3k hp mamlukes

150 atk highlanders

52 atk irontroops

72 atk jaegers

and ofcourse if they ever get anything close to an infinite ronin shipment then the daimyo can just run into bases shit these out of their asses (set ur shrines to xp and you have enough to shit them out till the end of time)

Its the same reason why native civs dont haves access to imperial mercs (or mercs for the most part)
You can still get them to some pretty ludicrous numbers

for comparison this is a maxed out soon to be nerfed swede jaeger

they are careful enough to not start introducing this stuff unless they rework those civs fundamentally.

7 Likes

Dutch already have access to variety of mercs, including Elmetti and Royal Horseman which are strong anti inf heavy cavs. Port already have a very strong dragon. So balance wouldn’t be broken if those two civs have access to these new units, it will only add some variety for them.

Asians could only be allowed to upgrade (or shadow tech) their native mercs they get through “Atonement” card (Yojimbo/Jat Lancer/Iron Troop) like Europeans able to do with the Imperial age up. Even though China sends its card which makes their Iron Troops fire faster the European Iron Troops are still stronger. Maybe they can make Manchus become more accessible to China after age 4 too.

The simple answer is japan and what happens when japanese buffs are applied to imperial mercs u get stuff like 3k hp mamlukes

Agreed so even if that’s allowed it should be limited to particular merchs which Asians have access to, like it shouldn’t be allowed for Hatamotos.

Also natives could get some particular merch cards through shipments which are accurate for their civs and doesn’t break the balance.

Its the same reason why native civs dont haves access to imperial mercs (or mercs for the most part)
You can still get them to some pretty ludicrous numbers

they are careful enough to not start introducing this stuff unless they rework those civs fundamentally.

I agree with what’s been said there. I totaly support adding more variety while not breaking the balance.

2 Likes

In the last comparison i think sweden is stronger because hp is much higher.

there needs to be a way to either exempt mercs from auras or to nerf the aura specifically for mercs.

3 Likes

Yes, it is that easy. You can currently have imperial mercs with a strong aura with Spain as well by the way.

This could also be a good opportunity to stop daymios from being a shipping point. I am way more scared of 10 imperial mortars that can be insta spammed in my base without any xp than 4,5k ronin

Also regarding the examples… talk about cherry picking and disregarding context

1 Like

I think there is a compromise position here. Brits should definitely be given “re-trainable” access to highlanders as they were and still are a staple of the British army, more so than the other mercenaries listed above to their respective countries. (they are quintessentially British!!!)

My suggestion is - give Highlanders an addition wood cost after the Black Watch tech has been researched. Maybe change their cost to 150 coin + 100 wood. This will prevent the massing of Highlanders by brits as wood becomes scarce in the later ages. To compensate for this, highlanders should receive a few extra buffs with the Black Watch tech. (maybe allow the three musk HC cards to affect highlanders too, now that they’re officially part of the British army).

As for where they should be trainable from I’m not too fussed - Tavern / Fort / Barracks / Town Centre ???

Tavern is probably the best choice but I think Forts would be a fair call too.

3 Likes

Absolutely agree with this. Scottish units were an intrinsic part of the British army so it was always loopy that they didn’t have them as ‘normal’ units.

It should always be the case that Redcoats are your bread-and-butter unit for the British with their efficient pop and resource requirements, though it would be nice to sprinkle in some Black watch.

Also not quite Mercs, but Euro civs should have better access to their native civs. Not to the level of Germany and their ability to pick a house from a few German ones, but at least a shipment for their closest. I’d love to be able to use Hannover Drummers on tap!

The last point to bring it back to Mercs is the Theaters card - I’d love that to change to some more Euro centric for the Europeans instead of the out of place Ronin.

3 Likes

What if we adapt the Church new unique techs to Basilica-like unit shipments? Add a big cost, queue them in shipments queue, and make them infinite.

5 Likes

You can get Blackwatch from the “Highland Mercenary card” at age 4. The devs are aware of this too. It just gives it a slight buff but nothing too broken. You can still get highlanders via RNG.

Though getting them from taverns and forts doesnt sound so bad. But due to the health Regen and +1 range and LOS i would make them 10% more expensive than normal Highlanders.

1 Like

The new Church unique units should be a new unit: why not? The most difficult part is already made: the artistic design. Now, what is keeping us from make Basilica-style new units for all european civs? Even with Ranges it may work, so we don’t forget Longbowmen