Queue Dodging Timeout Feedback

Have you, or have you ever met someone who actually evaded maps by dropping from a lobby?

I don’t know a single person that does that, I know plenty who regularly (as in 50% of the time) get unfriendly error messages during matchmaking, now followed by cooldown.

If you don’t have problem with matchmaking, my bet is that you are not playing TG, something is seriously wrong with the matchmaking, especially in unranked TG… And it really can’t be only me. I just managed to get a TG started… Took like 4 tries where it found a match and then it unexpectedly went back to searching… Took 10 minutes to find a game (Finally not “my” fault or cooldown, but i can’t help but wonder if 4 other players just received a bogus error and cooldown like me). Played till feudal and a team member dropped. Still won the 2v3 though. Game ran buttery smooth and I havent had any problems with my connection at all really. Only the damn matchmaking giving me random hexcodes every day.

About 50% of the game’s ranked ladder player base wants to play 1v1 Arabia and is happy playing 1v1 Arabia.

Please, give players an 1v1 Arabia Only option, give most players what they want.

Can anyone please explain me how would this harm the other 50% who doesn’t care playing any other map? Or give any reason to not let 50% of the players do what they want?

3 Likes

Where do you get those estimations about 50% from? And why do you call 50% a “majority”?

Regardless if it is 50% want arabia only, 10% arena only, and 40% variety, or 40% arabia only, 20% arena only, and 40% variety the logic seems similar. a slight tweak to percentages doesn’t change the overall point of the message.

MatDaymond believes that there is a significant enough proportion of the aoe2 community that only wants to play arabia. It’s hard to know for sure since the ban system and alt F4 directly affect people who utilize those systems to overcount their votes on preferred map percentage, but I find it unlikely that those manipulations have driven the percentage off by a factor of double of triple on any given map preference output. So I’d guess it is at least Roughly in the right ballpark probably.

Btw, even if your population was 40 % A, 20 % B, 20 % C, 10% D, and 10% E,F,G combined, I don’t think it’s as strange to call A the “majority” as you make it seem with your response. while technically not true, it seems weird to call that out. especially so when it is only 1% off of being true majority in his hypothetical numberset.

2 Likes

Extremely naive. IF literally hours after the patch players already found a basic bug to dodge the penalty, and devs take 2 months to patch it, how much time do you think it will take until the penalty system works correctly? Hint: it took 1 year to fix the ranked Elo, and it’s still arguably not fixed.

TC delete was just one example I took to show how unaware of the situation you are, because I think anybody who has played since the patch must have seen it already (at least in TGs), but there are more elaborate ways to dodge the penalty, some will be difficult to fix for the devs, for example, people can desync the game instead of resigning, or just not play the game for 5 minutes and then resign, what is your solution to avoid these issues?

2 Likes

Well if they wait for 5 minutes before resigning they kinda still get a 5 minutes ban in a way. And lose ELO. The same goes to deleting TC. As far as im concerned, the current solution is better than no solution at all. Besides, never seen TC deleted yet. Neither in TG nor in 1v1. Ive seen it only as a part of a strat, persian(cough) douche(cough)

2 Likes

The difference is that everyone wastes 5 minutes now, not just the leaver. Besides leavers already get a ~ 5 minutes penalty currently because they have to requeue and wait for matchmaking. If they are already willing to wait 5 minutes they are most likely willing to wait 10.

Which is another aberration by itself. You should never lose Elo for leaving early. Elo is not supposed to be a reward/punishment, it’s supposed to be a tool for making fair matches. If you artificially decrease someone’s Elo for leaving, his real skill has not decreased, so he’ll be matched against against weaker players, creating unbalanced matches until he comes back to his Elo. It also makes it much easier to throw games. Besides it is possible to desync the game to not lose Elo.

That’s the thing, you’re not the only one concerned. I personally couldn’t care more about the Alt-f4 penalty either, I know how to dodge it. But I realize that it will just split the community and unfairly penalize certain people, for many people, the current solution is clearly worse.

But you also claimed playing several thousand games without a crash, which I don’t think many people can relate to.

1 Like

You can view stats here: https://www.ageofempires.com/stats/ageiide-global

Seems like the size dropdown box determines which maps appear in the Top 20 list on the ranked page. Arabia is played 54.70% of the time for Tiny maps (1v1s) and is the most played map for all map sizes except for Large, where it’s second to Arena.

If you switch from the Ranked tab to the Multiplayer tab, then Arabia is the most played 1v1 map at 40.03% and is the second most played 4v4 map (12.31% compared to Black Forest’s 27.75%).

And when looking at those percentages, consider that people who never want to play Arabia in ranked don’t have to play it (they can ban it), while people who do want to play Arabia still might get matched with someone who bans it.

3 Likes

So toggling through and just messing around here I’m getting the picture that:

Large Team Game Preference (like 4 v 4): Probably split evenly between Arena, Arabia, and BF. 4v4 Arena and 4v4 Arabia players use ranked and 4v4 BF use lobby.

Smaller Team Game Preference: Similar story for both ranked and lobby, but a little stronger preference towards Arabia.

1v1 preference: pretty large preference towards Arabia, but a decent showing of arena in ranked and lobby. And for some reason Coastal shows up with a weirdly strong signal here. Single player default???

Anyways, seems like a pretty good case for having an Arabia queue, an arena queue, and a BF queue, and then an “Random” queue with fair map selection (no bans to manipulate your preference, essentially a “I scratch your back you scratch mine” playing on maps). And Delete out Quickplay to reclaim those players so the overall wait time isn’t hurt.

PS> TWest, make a vid about how to Fix Fish Traps to have the same construction logic as farms! But only after they fix this.

3 Likes

Coastal is the default map selection in the lobby menu—anyone who doesn’t explicitly select a different map ends up playing it.

1 Like

As it stands there are still many issues to this day that kinda went forgotten(empire) on us

Im gonna try and eloborate my problems with the current system and of course try to wager a solition that is a) up to Interpretation and b) discustable in a mannered wqy

1. Elo inflation and problems with smurfs

The way i atleast interpretate this problem is that a steady inflation and cap of the max elo aswell as unfair team distribution is currently a major factor of unfair games. Yes the way games should be determinant is by map preferences bans and of course a feasable but not gapping difference in elo. So what is exactly the problem? I honestly think that people at 2k mostly are in a managble position after a break to come back to the game but loose their true elo (from how they perform) so smurfs are created as a suitable way to find their way in. Now is this fair? No because low elo people get humilatingly crushed by these players what of discourage plays in lower elo. Some people claim they should remove family share, but i have mixed Feelings about that because there is a certain type of player base who discourage play after all and in all way by dodging 70% of the players they are teamed with or grief a game to dodge the penality of a timeout by deleting their tc and wait the 5 minutes. Which is clearly a disruption and not healthy for the game. Also i think one reason they implemented the system of timeouts

Topic 2 will Cover these people next but i wanna know your opinion on the smurf elo inflation and help me and the community aswell as devs as they Listen to us to find a solutuon

Hi,

I was playing with a friend and his computer crashed (well the game crashed, not the computer itself) so we had a timeout because of that, is it possible to not being punished for crash ? As we didn’t dodge it was the map we wanted to play.

Thanks

So what’s with the MS server going down and getting penalized for that? Why is that a thing?

I remember they showcased that in a case of a crash that an file would be created that proves the crash and you can send that one to appeal the time out

They still haven’t fixed as well that you get punished when u leave after sb else already left…why would i need to play until minute 5 every game…especially with the gamecrashes coming from this patch…

Honestly after i found out that in my playing game time zone the activity is as low as less than 400 games being playing at that time, matchmaking can’t co-exist with such low numbers, so it forces awful matches most of the time, since the devs can’t add more players, then the most logic answer to that is to create a ranked lobby when simply there aren’t enough players available, so waiting longer is much more preferable rather than playing with 1k or 2k elo differences.

For now it seems they will stick with the punishment patch for more months as they are unable to understand their player base properly, they are investing time going around the punishments ignoring completely the reason behind it.

1 Like

Your assumption about game only matching opponents from the same time zone is wrong. I often get matched with opponents from the other end of the Planet if the server can`t find a closer opponent.

1 Like

He’s not saying he gets matched only with people in the same region/time zone. But rather that the time when he normally plays is not during peak hours for player counts. And that his preference would be to wait longer for a higher-quality match than quickly to be placed in a low-quality match.

@TWest6709 thing is that his numbers still dont add up and there is no prove for these

The number of ongoing matches at various times is probably available if someone wants to look for it. Didn’t see a simple number when I checked quickly at aoe2.net, but I’d be surprised if it couldn’t be figured out.

Steamcharts at least shows that the number of concurrent players drops significantly during the EU morning/US night timezones.

His main point that matchmaking is much worse during these timezones due to the smaller number of games seems right. It’s how we get slam repeatedly ending up matched with Hoang lol.