Realistic overhaul mod (Age of Noob video)

Also a fair point. There could be a bias in the sample for sure. We can’t quantify this unfortunately.

If it’s Single Player, you could use the Tuning Packs for your games. Not sure if they’ll allow Tuning Packs for Campaigns, but I don’t see why not.

1 Like

I’m okay with changes myself - but arrows right now are lower priority to other things, such as proper map generation, picking your color, hotkeys, and a plethora of other quality of life features currently missing.

3 Likes

One of them is single player , yes. I haven’t touched the campaign content yet because changes like these really broke the enjoyment that I used to have playing the game in a immersive perspective. I think in the future, then, I will probably be trying the campaigns with the mod.

It seems that way. On the AoE4 livestream when they were discussing balance changes - I believe it was one of the balance designers mentioning that they were trying to solve a balance issue with the game, and hoping that they can correct it without requiring any “dev support” (programming). To me this signs that the team is small, and they are allocating to something else. Maybe it’s the bigger patch that is coming?

The balance changes are appreciated, but what the community really wants to see is actual programming changes. Not just decimal number tweaks to an existing system.

Examples of this is the villager repairing a palisade wall and a knight glitching through and killing the villager. Another is Delhi’s Tower of Victory still not applying the attack speed bonus to Men at Arms.

If there was polling we could probably make some better assumptions. If we had a snapshot of the demographics (AOE2/SC/Other) at launch compared to demographics of the players that remain we could probably identify some trends. If I had to guess the percentage of the playerbase that came from AOE2 is much lower than we’d expect after seeing the feedback to your video.

I wouldn’t get your hopes up or draw any conclusion from that statement. The game team is separate from the engine team. I imagine it’s a process for the game team to request changes to the engine team.

Will elephants be more powerful in the realistic overhaul mod, especially with tower elephants receiving arrow upgrades?

Thank you for posting this, wanted to do it by myself today!

Love the look and physic how the arrow looks and flies + i hope it will get implement in a good way in the main game in the future.

1 Like

If this mod isnt added to the base game then its a fail for the DEVS.
At this point just hire this guy and make AOE4 great again. for real.
its very nice so far and looks great. I bet it even gets better over time

2 Likes

The point of mods is so that you can choose. I would not want this in the base game.

4 Likes

I can’t see what missing arrows brings to the table. I understand some people miss old mechanics, but I really, really don’t want to feel like rolling the dice with certain units. I just can’t understand this.

1. visual
  2. allow to run away (it’s important in feudal)
  3. TC arrows could be stronger, but miss. (i hate that it takes forever to kill militia)
  4. reduce over dmg… if arrow “misses” it can hit near target, so problem with “all arrows into one unit” - partly solved. even dps for archers can be better in large battles.

Mechanic with “ballistic project tiles” is not “rolling the dice”. It’s follow rules and can be predicted.

allow you to not like this mechanic. but i’ve tried to explain at best.

While it does look visually better than vanilla, I rather not deal with micronerds dodging arrows like crazy.

I would prefer the AOM solution. In the YT comments:

AoM handled this by having both accuracy and something called track rating for their ranged units. So, we can implement a similar system where Accuracy is the percentage chance to hit that increases as target gets closer while track rating is a variable that allows units to have 100% accuracy as long as target moves slower than the track rating. This way, infantry and archers can’t really dodge arrows in small skirmishes, and we all know that projectile dodging in large scale battles is detrimental anyway.

This way fast units can still dodge when fleeing the battlefield while there is no incentive to micromanage units to dodge arrows.

1 Like

It would seem most players disagree with you. Looking at the feedback on reddit and youtube an overwhelming amount of likes agree that they don’t want arrows to miss.

I haven’t found many players that wanted arrows to miss. I’m old and have missing arrows burnt into my brain at this point, but I wouldn’t put it on anybody that didn’t like it. My other favorite RTS games don’t have missing weapons, so it shouldn’t bug me.

I would love the visual of it for cinematics, and on that, does anybody know of any AoE4 montages that have been made since the editor was released?

The arrow does look smooth in travel, I dislike the look of the new arrow. Looks more like a bullet tracer than an arrow. Can’t even see the feathers, and the illusion of motion blur at the tip and butt of the arrow isn’t fitting. Looks like from something from Macromedia flash game using a semi-transparent alpha gradient.

2 Likes

Reduce the accuracy of buildings and ships to coincide mangonels and nest of bees. And i only thing arrows should get inaccuracy change. Springald damages need to continue to hit 100%.

An alpha gradient is by definition a transparency gradient. In your rush to make a Flash-related putdown, you’re trying too hard to sound technical.

Well, in the video I am seeing many comments in favor of homing arrows. Maybe it’s just a whim of AoE2 players.

Perhaps the game should focus more on basic units also having abilities (as in SC2).

1 Like

Yes units should have more special abilities. Like the wololo from monks and the palisades from the english longbows.

For my taste even every unit should have that.

Wrong. An alpha gradient is not transparent - hence transparency. I was being specific, but your reply sounds like ignorance on stack overflow.

I wasn’t even putting down Flash you knuckle head! I said it looked like it was created in Flash. You Flash devs get bent so easily. :laughing: