Release Date Speculation

I know only the announcement trailer was just announced, but it’s interesting to speculate when the game will actually be released. I’m guessing Summer 2018 … maybe Fall.

Usually a game announcement trailer (with no in-game content) is released 8-12 months away… at least from what I’ve seen with other game companies.

Any thoughts?

If its anything like Star Citizen way of doing things, then i would not hold your breath, They keep showing off and giving dates for it then when those dates come, nothing but also find a way to release more ships to get more money out of the fan base, so i would have to disagree, i would not even speculate with just a Announcement trailer, we need more info before a thread like this is even put up.

@Torgrimmer said:
If its anything like Star Citizen way of doing things, then i would not hold your breath, They keep showing off and giving dates for it then when those dates come, nothing but also find a way to release more ships to get more money out of the fan base, so i would have to disagree, i would not even speculate with just a Announcement trailer, we need more info before a thread like this is even put up.

Maybe, but its still fun to try and guess when it will be released. I am definitely a victim of Star Citizen, I’ve purchased almost 4 ships by now… and to your point … the dates come and go with no step forward.

As we already saw, there are going to be definitive editions of 2 AOE games, so if AOE DE is coming this year (19 October), I bet AOE IV will come on 2019 or 2020, giving the enough time to release atleast one definitive edition per year.

@KingDarBoja said:
As we already saw, there are going to be definitive editions of 2 AOE games, so if AOE DE is coming this year (19 October), I bet AOE IV will come on 2019 or 2020, giving the enough time to release atleast one definitive edition per year.

That makes sense… the definitive editions will hold us over until AOE 4 is released.

I am thinking summer/autumn 2019.

2019 at least. They have barely started working on it. Triple A games take 2-3 years to make at minimum

Ya I guess we just don’t know at what stage of development their at…but I agree likely very early.

@Torgrimmer said:

I think you are comparing and contrasting method is wrong. (I won’t take game’s name) One is a crowd funded game with a genre where in-game monetization in some way makes sense. Its community is responsible for where the game is headed, on top of that, the game which I won’t name, have a perhaps too ambitious designer with an all new studio, which is still growing despite of receding bank account. So how do they get extra income? Well the exciting and eager fan base is the answer. Anyways, for a crowd funded games release dates are ALWAYS an issue, hardly anything spot on comes out. Where as Age is already an established franchise where delays are probably 2 to 3 months. If we are getting betas for every Age game then delays are highly possible, but not with huge margin.

Now to answer the actual topic, there are total of three team working on four games. I believe that Forgotten Empires, the 10-20 guys who we should thank because they started all this movement, will be working with and getting support of MS Studios, which is so huge. DE versions for the 3 games are likely to come first because both team are still working on old code base. So they only need to update and rework certain aspects to make first 3 age games, modern. Then for AOE 4, which is an all new game, Relic which has a big team too and is a subdivision of Sega will be getting help of seasoned AGE devs of however many (probably 25%) MS Studio personals. Therefore here is my speculation:

1. AOE:DE, Oct-Dec 2017 (Since beta is underway, delay is ok but they aim for 20 anniv release)
  2. AOE II:DE, September 2018 (The month where original AOE II was released)
  3. AOE III: DE, October 2019 (The month where original AOE III was released)
  4. AGE IV, Sep-October 2020 (Because its a new game from a new team who have never in their life produced a classic-deep-historic-slow-RTS title. Since the expectations are so high, I think they would rather take their time than ruin or beloved game. I know Microsoft will be more carful because Age franchise is their only PC centric franchise want it to selling well and keep gamers like us involved in the PC platform, so they wouldn’t want to loose us)

It is hardly a guess.
It will be second half 2020.
Why? Because there is 0 gameplay and 0 artwork to show to us. And they are going to launch 3 versions of definitive editions before aoe 4 comes out. I can’t imagine them launching 2 definitive editions in 1 year, because people wouldn’t buy both probably. So 3 years is the minimum before aoe4 comes out!

@BAJOLI said:
It is hardly a guess.
It will be second half 2020.
Why? Because there is 0 gameplay and 0 artwork to show to us. And they are going to launch 3 versions of definitive editions before aoe 4 comes out. I can’t imagine them launching 2 definitive editions in 1 year, because people wouldn’t buy both probably. So 3 years is the minimum before aoe4 comes out!

Unless you have inside info, then it totally is a guess. There has been no leak on how far into development Relic is with AoE4.

Anyway going to put my hype on hold for a bit until we get some gameplay/solid info.

My guess is 2019.

It’d be logical if all of the announced products were released in a sort of chronological way, as in DEs first, AoE4 second. Which remake is closer to be finished is hard to tell, though my bet would be on AoE2’s, as it’s at least known that FE is going to handle it, whereas the development fate of AoE3 is yet unknown, according to Cysion. Seeing how long it took AoE: DE to be completed – less than 5 months – we could expect both of the DEs to be released by the end of 2018, leaving us awaiting for the fourth iteration of the main line of the franchise, most likely until Fall 2019. [Mod edit: do not discuss alleged leaks, regardless of how unsubstantiated they may be. We mods must draw bright lines and simply mod edit any supposed leak, regardless of its falsity.]

6 months for DE, so at end 2018 - early 2019

Hopefully it doesn’t do an Avatar 2 :wink:

@Penelinfi said:

If the hype around aoe4 is close to the hype of avatar then it will be ok :).

@BAJOLI said:

@Penelinfi said:

What, none?

@AAHale said:

@BAJOLI said:

@Penelinfi said:

What, none?

Avatar 2 to 5 are being made and the hype will be large when those movies get out:).

@BAJOLI said:

@AAHale said:

@BAJOLI said:

@Penelinfi said:

What, none?

Avatar 2 to 5 are being made and the hype will be large when those movies get out:).

It absolutely won’t.

Avatar 2… ehh, I mean, maybe? Not much. I doubt many people even remember the first movie, let alone have much interest in the sequel.

But 5? Come on. Dead horse time.