Relic& World's Edge talks about AOE IV (eSports, multiplayer, art direction, own identity, respecting feedbacks etc.)

So i was right. This is game for Pro-players not for Age of Empires fans (milions).
Most of players don’t play the competitive scene but campaigns and skirmish or coop matches.

4 Likes

AoE2 is balanced based on competitive players and it’s still good to play casual matches or against AI. AoE4 also has all of them so what’s the difference I don’t get.

5 Likes

Yes, age 2 balanced based on competitive I agree, but that was after game was finished, they made their game based on how they wanted to be not allowing people to change those decisions before game is released, I can see a downgrade compared to 2019 preview…

That is because they want to reach wide audience. None of the people outside relic or microsoft wanted that. They actually de-saturated game because of the fan complaints.

1 Like

Only person with sense.

4 Likes

Thanks for posting those videos, had no idea about their existence. So much interesting information and developer insight in there, really enjoyed listening and felt a bit more reassured after what I’ve heard.
Glad I can finally rest assured after hearing the devs mention as well that the maps will continue to be randomly generated, I was a bit afraid they wouldn’t keep that and it’s such an important AoE thing. Whew! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Beat you again :slight_smile: (I know you have got busy life, so please don’t take that personally)

2 Likes

Hello, I am currently extracting the notes from the videos… will update the thread once I am done. Sorry for the wait :frowning:

They justify it with balancing and making each play differently. They said they will add as they go. Even their past titles had factions that played differently. To be real honest, Age II, all the base units (and in fact for all the civs) plays the same… only stats makes the huge difference. There’s a lot of rehash in AOE 2. Quantity is not always a good thing. Let’s wait and see what happens I guess!

New interviews are added. Sorry, they’re in English though…

2 Likes

I share the same sentiment. Basically AoE IV would one day be implemented to mobile phones too based on the art style they chose. Thankfully, we still have the definitive editions.

1 Like

Here insight from a person who has play tested the game for over a year.

I found this interesting too.

5 Likes

I’m an Age fan and really enjoy the Esport aspect of it aswell, since aoe2 has so many ways to get better, which is why I still play it after so many years. Why do you assume all age fans detest the esport aspect of it and why can’t I be both?

Because competitive players are the Little% of a milion fan base. Developers shouldn’t take a graphic decision as artstyle, Low poly textures etc, only because they have received feedbacks from a Council of Esport players or competitive players.
The bad reactions from every communities, gaming sites and YouTube are right.

1 Like

aah yes another DOW 3, where relic thinks they can artificially create a userbase that does not exists.

1 Like

Oh wow, this video is great. Thank you for sharing.

1 Like

New links have been added for videos and article. Enjoy!

1 Like

Sorry, but these days I have some heavy work so I don’t think I can do the transcription or summary from the video :frowning: I am sorry.

That’s not what we see in the pictures/videos.

That’s just the plain old PR speech.

Really great video and a lot of good insight, but it keeps confirming that the game is unfocused.

They are trying to please all audiences and as a result, the game has no soul, no defining character. These are some things I interpret (but not necessarily mentioned in the video itself):

• It’s not a realistic representation of medieval warfare because realistic does not equal balanced or readable and therefore unsuitable for eSports.
  • It’s not graphically intensive because it should be accessible to people with low-spec systems.
  • It’s not trying to be a sequel of AOE I, II, III or Mythology, but it’s trying to keep as many features from those games as possible, so it’s trapped in a box and can’t develop its own personality.
  • The community council is too diverse which probably was done with the best intentions but everybody seems to be trying to pull in different directions.
  • They wanted to make the game instantly recognizable by previous AOE players so they took no risks with new mechanics and added the bare minimum to stay relevant compared to other modern strategy games.
  • It’s trying to be a game for all ages and all geographical markets, so it has to be fully aware of real world cultural aspects/sensibilities, also affecting the realism (e.g. blood)

I am now realizing how hard would it be to develop a game like Age of Mythology in this day and age, with the restrictions imposed (likely by Microsoft). AoM was the first AOE game to stray away from a semblance of historical accuracy, the first AOE game to use a 3D engine, the first game to give you different strategic choices (gods) when advancing through the ages, the first one to have significantly different civs in playstyle, etc.

8 Likes