Replacing Mill graphics

I want to replace the African Mills with the western Europe ones as the African ones look too much like houses.

I replaced
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\AoE2DE\resources_common\drs\graphics\b_afri_mill_age2_x1.smx

and 5 other similar files with renamed b_west… files and it worked, except the the mills kept disappearing in game (and reappearing). Any idea how to fix this?

The Mill is disappearing because SMX file you used to replace the original with has fewer frames in animation. The game is looking for those missing frames and since they don’t exist your mill disappears. You will need to edit the DAT file to correct frame count.

1 Like

Or he can duplicate frames in SMX files using SLX Studio to avoid extreme limitations of data mod.

1 Like

Yea, that’s another option. Although wouldnt adding/duplicating frames in an animation make it choppy since it alters the original flow of the frames. I have not tried this myself so curious what your experience has been.

1 Like

I also haven’t tried, but hopefully topic author can make it work properly for him

1 Like

Ok thanks guys, a little more complicated that I thought but I’ll hopefully give it a shot eventually.

It’s not that complicated, I have a working DAT file for all my little adjustments to personal game. Look up tutorials for AGE editor on YouTube and start playing around. (Just remember to back up the DAT file) before you make any changes so you can restore if you break anything. Have fun!

1 Like