Request: add a bigger map size option once new dlc arrives (bigger than luducruis)!

I think an even bigger map just won’t be fun. If the next jump up from Ludicrous will be on the same scale as from Giant to Ludicrous, it will take way too long for any unit to cross the map. Most of the gametime will be spent literally just watching your units march across a bunch of nothing. Even if everyone goes for something crazy like 5-6 TC booms, bases will still be stupidly far away from each other. I genuinely doubt that many people will enjoy it.

It would actually be a map big enough to have an “empire”, having multiple cities that all have their own garrison is fun imo.

3 Likes

Exactly, this is something people dont seem to realize.

1 Like

I think that is fun, I just don’t think the AoE2 Engine is the right one for this kind of play :slight_smile: It seems like you’d enjoy something like the HoMM series

Maybe not Aoe2 but if they don’t have a map bigger than ludakris in Aoe4 I am going to be bummed out, it is 2021, Aoe2 made the ludakris map almost a decade ago, there is no reason we can’t have something bigger than that.
Also, I think it would be possible, maybe not the jump like we have from Giant to Ludakris but something larger, I only get lag on ludakris if it is a 3v3 or 4v4, otherwise I get decent fps

2 Likes

Agreed, its 2021, the posibilites are bigger and more…luducruis

4 Likes

Nice one

Yeah, I think the problem is not (necessarily) the computer’s ability to handle things… it’s more that the game can’t keep up with that scale anymore. Meaning that focusing on such a big map for most people would be too taxing.

i dont think the players get taxed in game

It’s ludicrous. (char limit)

He means it would be a lot of work that doesn’t really pay off

would be something new than just only update civs

Reddit - Dive into anything also discusses this.

However, if you’re even more of a map size hardliner, perhaps you can come and belittle my even more ludicrous request:

“Bigger than ludicrous” would be big, but an intermediate size smaller than it (still bigger than very large) would be welcome too.

1 Like

What hardware do you have that you can think you can reliably run much larger maps with AIs on them?

I always felt like Ludicrous is way to large. I wish there were options between Ludicrous and Giant. Giant is so much smaller.

2 Likes

2x larger in one dimension so 4x more area, 4x heavier on the hardware.

Giant is 240, Ludi is 480. We need sizes of say 320 and 400 in between. Call them “Colossus” and “Titan”.

1 Like

2 new sizes with 2x and 3x the area of giant would ne nice. So about 340x340 and 415x415.
Having more then Ludi is pointless for me but if other people like it why not add it.

Not sure what the technical limitations are, random maps scripts might not support it or are there also AI issues.

In AoE3 you can just chose the hight and width of a map independently and you can take any number you want up to 1024x1024.
Same for AoM.

3 Likes

I perfer a more exponential progression on the surface rather than linear, the ones I proposed are 1.77x and 2.77x giant, a quadratic line. Plus, round numbers make it easier to plan the map layout. But it’s merely a personal preference.

I’d have to actually see the maps and try out what sizes feel good but your numbers look good too.

1 Like

It’s linear on the edge (so quadratic on the surface area), +80 on the edge of the map between each.

1 Like