Request: add a bigger map size option once new dlc arrives (bigger than luducruis)!

@Skadidesu, my hardware. It’s expensive – it doesn’t struggle with Ludicrous.

@DukeOfLorraine, if I could rewrite the relevant code, I’d have the user able to drag the map size to a size that they like, like one can to an application window, and vaguely similar to what

describes.

I would also change AoE to warn the user if they have designated the map to be too large for their hardware to reliably cope with (this would be fairly trivial to determine).

Add a box displaying the size of the map (length × width), if it exceeds 60k (a bit more than the size of giant) put a small warning. Let players judge themselves, accounting for hardware would be excessively complicated.

3 Likes

Hello. I am FANTACC, the original author of this map of East Asia.

I am a very busy person in real life, and occasionally make maps as a casual gamer for fun.
Originally, he didn’t touch my lightning point so he planned to turn a blind eye, but recently he has caused other people’s misunderstandings and caused disturbances, and I feel very troubled, especially here to clarify…

“My FANTACC has no formal relationship with Mr. Icarus DuCer. It is neither a friendship nor a cooperative partnership. Simply put, it is a stranger whose cooperation has not been negotiated.”

If you find that IcarusDuCer claims that I am his partner elsewhere or uses the map I made to bluff, please help me clarify, thank you.

The mod website with the updated map of East Asia is attached: https://www.ageofempires.com/mods/details/19716/
If you do not need to obtain it through external channels, please go to the mod option in the game to subscribe and download, thank you.

1 Like

@FANTACC78, nobody’s mentioned that, to my knowledge. I believe that @IcarusDuCer has merely participated in this thread. This seems unnecessarily preemptive.

There is just someone who has been misunderstood, so I have to clarify. I am not idle and making unreasonable troubles. :frowning:

1 Like

you could have 20 GHz cpu and it’d still bottleneck, adding frequency doesn’t linearly increase the performance, its closer to logaritmic increase, and cpu architecture will eventually not be able to add big IPC gains, then we’re capped, example, you could cap the i9 13900K, or new i9 14900K to 5 GHz max instead of 6 GHz and lose maybe 5 to 7% of the performance, with 20% clock speed drop

@KG19991380, all it needs is a rearchitecture so that it can take use of multiple threads though, right? After all, as long as only the visible (or acted upon) map is loaded at any given time, I don’t see why this could be reasonably performant.

i don’t think you understand how finicky multithreading is by its very nature, its extremely hard, requires basically from scratch rewrite of the engine itself, and in case of genie could cause it to no longer operate as we want or need it to, once this engine would work with proper multithreading, talking at least 8 cores at any point, its no longer genie, its smt else completely, could you multithread just 1 part, answer is yes, but that would take a long time to iron all the bugs that would come from parallel execution of code in an engine that executes all code linearly

one solution i can think of is, make each player use their own thread, that way you could still execute current single thread code and simply give each player 1 thread to use, its not a perfect solution, but its argueably the least bug prone and requires the least engine work

1 Like

also some parts of the engine are already multithreaded here and in 3 DE, the loading of assets being major part for instance, hence why its super quick while aoe4 that didn’t multithread this is slow af at loading

1 Like

@KG19991380, I did indeed envision a rewrite of the engine. Considering the popularity of AOE2:DE, it seems feasible, and considering the age of the current engine, probably necessary eventually. However, that’s out of the scope of this discussion – what you state is more feasible.

But why? What’s wrong with the size of the current maps? Like, I would understand if they were all like Haboob or Socotra, but the opposite extreme of enormous maps is even worse.

So Devs, please keep XL maps the hell away from the ranked ladder. Or at the very least, give us an optional tick box for “large map” which only activates if both players select it.

@NastyHigh, I like playing one map rather than replaying the game using different maps in different games. Obviously, I occasionally want to do the latter, but prefer to go back to the same game. To that end, I’d prefer the maps to be infinitely generated with new enemies appearing in those newly discovered areas, but unfortunately AOE isn’t quite geared for that yet.

There’s no way genie can infinitely generate a map.

I assume you’re just talking about single player, because there’s no way freeworld roaming / infinite generation would work for multiplayer.

Indeed, unless we were to also rewrite AOE to be server-based rather than P2P client (albeit still master and slave)-oriented lest we simply leave our PCs running and connected eternally XD