Return of Rome Discussion

Depends. DoI’s achievements were added last year in January and the DLC didn’t came until April. But since they both announced and apparently worked on Retrun of Rome since at least October, it seems like the waiting time is much shorter.

Edit: with 36, it’s twice as much as DoI which had “only” 18. The achievements were distributed as following:

• 3 for winning with every civ
  • 3 for doing civ specific stuff (e.g. make 10 Rathas as Bengalis)
  • 3 for completing the campaigns
  • 9 for doing certain things within a campaign
1 Like

AoE1DE has 44 achievements.
That means that RoR has 8 less if we assume that those are all RoR achievements that are only unlocked in the AoE1 mode.
Some achievements were probably not ported because they are to similar to AoE2 ones or too generic in general.
If they removed more then 8 then some of those could be new ones too.

But that’s good news anyway. That means an announcement might be soon.

3 Likes

Also look out for old news posts if they add puzzle pieces like they did last year with DoI.

:tired_face:

I thought we would get news this week.

1 Like

oh thats good news. for love of god pls give at least two civs, JUST 2 that can be played with aoe2 civs.

I’m still hoping for a special game mode where you can play with all AoE1 and AoE2 civilisations.

1 Like

From what I understand is a port, not a remake of AoE 1…that is, the 16 civs and the 10 campaigns as they are in AoE 1 DE…But I understand that they did not let you try the campaigns in the betas of the DLC a few months ago…It would be good to divide them by regional tabs as in AoE 2…

Europe:Glory of Greece (in Greece),The Rise of Rome (in the middle of Italy) and Ave Caesar (in France) (the first of AoE 1 “Dawn of Man” and the latter two of The Rise of Rome expansion)

Asia:Reign of the Hatti (in Turkey),Voices of Babylon (in Irak/Middle East) and Yamato, Empire of the Rising Sun (in Japan) (the first of AoE 1 DE and the latter two of AoE 1 “Dawn of Man”)

Africa:Ascent of Egypt (in Egypt),First Punic War (in Carthage,Tunisia) and Imperium Romanum (in Syria/Middle East) (the first of AoE 1 “Dawn of Man” and the latter two of AoE 1 DE and The Rise of Rome respectively)

And Enemies of Rome would serve as a tab of historical battles:

1. Crossing the Alps (218 BCE) (Carthaginians against Romans) (in the northwest of Italy)

2. Third Macedonian War (171 BCE) (Macedonians against Romans) (in Greece)

3. The Revolt of Spartacus (71 BCE) (Romans against Romans) (in the middle of Italy)

4. Odenathus,Lord of Palmyra (263 ACE) (Palmyrans against Romans) (in Syria/Middle East)

Yes, let’s see when they throw the puzzle…

Yes, it would be nice both…

2 Likes

Dividing by tabs was necessary for AOE2 due to the monstruous amount of campaigns, but 10 can fit on a single map. Except the Yamato campaign, all are centered on the classical world, you’d just need a map cutout like we see for several campaign menus

1 Like

as long as theres a way to play mix civ then all good

It had a lot of sense of waiting for the Xbox release to integrate the DLC with the console controls (I bet that it be possible to play it there)

Guys just wait a couple of months or less.

Yes, but what happens if they then put more expansions/dlcs in the future: India, Northern Europe and America…

Yes, in fact when this dlc comes out, technically AoE 1 DE can be played on Xbox…

1 Like

I’ve kind been waiting for this for 20 years.

Not sure if so many new civilisations, units and buildings runs into some engine limits.

It would be sad to have both games on the same engine, in the same installation but still not being able to access each others content.

2 Likes

Expansions in DE have their own tab instead of being added to the existing ones.

Yes, that’s why I say that the campaigns of 1 DE would have to start by separating them by continent or region as in 2 DE, and then go putting the following DLCs in their respective regions…now the campaigns of 1 DE are in descending row, then in 2 DE they will have to make a campaign menu with a map as in the 2 DE, since in fact technically it would become the same game…

I’m really not convinced we will have the exact same campains in RoR than we had in AoE1 DE. Not only are the missions quite outdated compared to AoE2’s, it would also be actually far more work to recreate all of them in the exact same format rather than create five new campaigns entirely (I say five because it’s the current number of building sets, although I hope some of them will be rearranged), possibly following characters or dynasties like those in AoE2, or maybe a city state during a short period of time, rather than the entire history of a civ.

5 Likes

For a game like AoE1 that covers such a long time period I think it is nice to have a campaign cover a longer time period.

I’m not sure if I’d like a remake of the old campaigns or new campaigns more.

There are some really good missions in AoE1(DE) that could be really nice to play with a few modernisations like a few triggers and some ingame narration.
Some missions are so legendary that it would be sad not to have them.

But on the other hand new content is new content. The old missions still exist in AoE1(DE).

3 Likes

I don’t know, I feel like most of the scenarios for the Greeks or Romans (aside from Caesar), and some of the Enemies of Rome, are frustrating because they could have been entire campaigns and feel a little bit empty as a result. Alexander for instance. Aside from the fact that it feels weird to still have him in a Greek campaign despite the Macedonians having been in the game for litteral decades now, his scenario doesn’t allow to go too in depth into his story.

Yes, maybe they do something like joining basic missions into more complex missions; example that Egypt has 5 missions like those of William Wallace…the issue is that the campaigns of AoE 1 have another approach different from those of AoE 2 and yes you want, AoM and AoE 3 also…

Yes, maybe some missions have in-game conversations like those of AoE 2…

But I know that the Return of Rome is a game interface that was transplanted from the age of empires:Definitive Edition to the age of empires 2:Definitive Edition version of the game interface. There may be three new campaigns: Pyrrhus (Greek campaign), ######## (Rome campaign), and Sargon (Mesopotamian campaigns), 36 new achievements (mobile phone images) and more new mechanisms (such as the formation of the army, the ringing of the alarm bell at the city gate and town center, and all villagers returning to work, new units, etc.) indicate that the new DLC is about to in coming
图片
图片
图片
图片

No one ever confirmed that. Due to the fact that the campaigns have to be recreated from scratch anyway, I believe that we will get a few, but high quality (intro/outro graphics, voice acting, triggers) new campaigns.

2 Likes