ROMAE AD BELLUM - (RAW:E) Rome at War Expansion Concept

Will you implement this huge structure in town centre fashion? So that units can walk in between the space of the buildings/pillars?

1 Like

@Juggernaut8704 that is great idea!! I will need to explore feasibility of doing so. I assume its doable with DAT mod and breaking the building into its core parts of Columns, and Roof, and Floor. Will be a tall task to accomplish but would be super amazing!

Originally the plan was for it be a Scenario editor only building: replacement for Cathedral and include a custom destruction animation that will take a lot of time to create.

However, seeing how much effort is already involved, I think it would be great to incorporate that TC affect and then think about functions of buildings. Any ideas there? Would anyone want to assist further with some of the work? If so please DM me.

Updated Version with reduced size colonnade and two inward facing porticos on Northern end.
Next will be to add two central porticos on Eastern and Western colonnade at midpoint. That should complete the structure.

Then will turn to eye candy, and other items to make it blend in game.

I like your mod a lot. And i have some suggestions.

Give caesar an olivegreen crown of laurel that fits better.

How about introducing the Zenturio as another special unit? But not as he can be seen in some campaigns here as a cavalryman, but as he was historically correct, namely as an infantryman.

I also thought about an introduction of a Decurio. This was also a Roman officer like the Zenturio, but he was on horseback.

1 Like

eye candy, means no destruction animation right?, still looks amazing.

1 Like

@thieftdp8498 thanks! I have decided that if I am going to make the effort to make a building, it will include a destruction animation of some sort.

I did that with Fort (Castle Replacement) for Romans and Greeks, and Town Center for Castle Age and Higher (same building). That doesn’t mean all the eye candy is there, but the main structures will collapse probably in 20-30 frames which is not far off from AOE graphical destructions. It just will take a long time for this building :wink: lol

My next release has an improved destruction for Town Center which was my original destruction animation.

1 Like

@Erasmus11585 Thanks! Can you tell me more about this unit??

I am happy to do that and try it.

Centurion, a roman officer:
Take a look to the Wiki, you will find very good information about the centurion, who moved in here.

The Centurion has been introduced in the Forgotten mod, next to the Legionary he belongs to a fragmented unit of the Late Roman Empire. They are the only two roman units, that found their way in Age of Empires 2, but against them, on can only fight in some scenarios. The roman centurion is grafically incorrectly represented. It was a heavy roman infantry unit and should look like it. That would be desirable for this mod, if you want to keep this mod as historically correct as possible.

He was the name of an officer of the Roman Empire who usually commanded a Centuria (“Hundred”) of the Roman legion or a comparable unit of the auxiliary troops (auxiliary troops). The name suggests “one hundred”, but a regular Centuria already consisted of around 80 legionnaires in the Early Republic.

The Decurion, is also a roman officer, but responsible for the cavalry:
He does not appear in the game and has never been introduced so far.

He was the leader of a group of ten legionaries (Decurie) in the Roman army in early Roman times. Later the smallest unit of a legion was the tent community Contubernium of eight men, in which there was no longer any senior rank. This designation for the leaders of a cavalry division remained when there was only one leader per tower in the alen of the imperial auxiliary cavalry, that are 30 to 40 men.

This Decurion of the cavalry was equated with a Centurion of the legion.

Building to be trained for both together:
Since both units are higher military ranks, it would make sense to have them trained in a suitable building. I am thinking with it of a roman legion camp.

Building to be trained for each individual unit:
Of course, it would also be possible to train the Decurion in the stable and the Centurion in the barrack.

For the other fragmented roman unit the Legionary, you can look also on the Wiki:

Another Roman style unit is the Heavy swordsman. He can only be clicked in the editor as a unit and can not be found in any campaign, battle or multiplayer card in the game.

Here is an updated version now with Eastern and Western Portico located in middle of each Colonnade.

3 Likes

They all try hard.

Are you satisfied with my comments on the roman officer units?

1 Like

@Erasmus11585 Yes, that was helpful.

I am familiar with the Centurion Unit and was exploring adding that unit to game as an elite infantry unit. I ended up going with the Praetorian over Centurion for now. Centurion would still be a cool unit to add but it is likely not high on the list since we already have several Legionary units now.

I do like the idea of a Decurion too.

Here is a current list of Units either already in the Mod, in progress, or proposed.
All original units require the help of a 3D Artist and can take 3-6 Weeks to complete from concept to release. So will need to prioritize next unit. I don’t think it is realistic to get all these completed. :slight_smile:

Units Completed

• Praetorian (Elite Infantry Unit)
  • Pilum (Spearman unit)
  • Swordsman Unit
    Looking to combine Pilum and Sword units using Konnick game mechanic
  • Praetorian Cavalry
  • Egyptian Chariots from AOE (Archer and Spear)

Units in progress:

• Caesar Unit

Additional Units to be ported in Next Release for Greeks

• Long Swordsman (to be a Spartan)
  • Hoplite (Spearman)

Proposed/Wish List Units

• Civ Unique Units for Egyptian & Persians (Likely Spearman) - 2 Units
  • Combined Pilum/Sword Legionary Units (rework of Death and Attack animations for Pilum Unit)
  • Numidian Cavalry
  • Equities (Roman Light Cavalry)
  • Velites (Roman Skirmisher unit)

If interest in the project grew, and others wanted to contribute time and money, I think we could theoretically start a larger 3D project on CG Trader and collaborate to make a larger Mod. However, I am currently a team of 1 + a 3D Artist who has graciously agreed to work with me on some of my ideas for a reasonable fee :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Oh yes, a bigger mod would have this game certainly deserved :smiley: Especially for the roman people, which so far only appears as a statists in the second part of the Age series.

For the romans i have yet other good ideas that could be implemented. I would also have the possibility, to make donations to make the mod bigger and stronger. We keep in touch.

1 Like

Screenshot of new Temple in Custom Campaign, Its massive but really shines in game and gives your city an epic feel! :slight_smile: Also shown is the Custom Town Center.

3 Likes

I was about to diss this by telling you to just play Age of Empires 1, but I’m actually impressed. This all looks really cool and well implemented, and I actually like how it’s being adapted to the AoE2 formula.

5 Likes

I would suggest using immortals for persians
 you can ask juggernaut for the graphix

2 Likes

I have determined that I need more help to create all the things that I want to bring to life in this mod. I have started a new project on CG Trader! Feel free to refer contacts who are talented in 3D Modeling and animation.

@StereoQuasar163 that’s a great suggestion. I have thought that the Immortal would be a great unique Elite Unit for the Persians.

2 Likes

Walking animations for Caesar have been completed and tested in game. Plan to replace Western King with this unit.

Caesar

5 Likes

A beautiful work. Can you make the laurel wreath olive green combined with gold or want to leave them just in gold?

I think also, that the beige color of the skirt, it looks too pale. A full white or silver color like the shirt or dark brown skirt would be more appropriate, as you have with the boots.