ROMAE AD BELLUM - (RAW:E) Rome at War Expansion Concept

Hi everyone. AoE2 DE has just released update 66692. We expect Rome at War to break with the new update, and we are searching the data files already to address any issues that may arise. This will likely take a few days, but we will try and get an update out as soon as possible. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause people.

2 Likes

Ok, early comparison of the data files suggests that the devs may not have done anything that breaks Rome at War badly, so hopefully we might not even need an update.

2 Likes

when I briefly tested the PUP, it seem to play fine and nothing that stopped working (i hope). the AI and UI however definitely chagned so just gotta fix that, at least for my mod

I checked everything manually, they barely changed anything, so R@W works fine.

1 Like

Updated version is now live on MODDB:

Romae ad Bellum Release 8.30.22 (Latest Version)

This consolidates all patches to date. We have changed the file structure going forward. Now All DRS Graphics are in a single folder and DAT is by itself. This should allow patches to be easier to install and make Multi Player support on MS faster.

Please delete and/or uninstall all prior versions of the Mod before installing new version. This is strongly recommended to make sure no legacy assets interfere with the mod.

This version updates many FX graphics anchor points (Fire, Snow, and Garrison Flags) on new Architecture sets. Romans and Greeks are nearly complete, we have started on Babylonian and hope to have them all fixed in the next few weeks. Will drop a DAT file patch once ready.

Some additional Goodies have been added to Scenario Editor, Roman Forum Buildings.
These work similar to houses as you can switch between models.

4 Likes

Another great screenshot from Mother on Discord.

6 Likes

Early renders of new Iberian unit:
Will be increasing the sword size to be showcase the design in game. Also, looking to do two attack animations to capture unit special ability.

5 Likes

Excited to share a NEW showcase of our Mod by Spirit of The Law! Amazingly well done spotlight of the project with a focus on Roman Empire. Thank you SOTL!

12 Likes

I could try it after I finish with the “dress up for the occasion” events… since I like antiquity more than medieval… it won’t beat AoEO, but it will be interesting to try…

P.S.:Although in ancient times they did not use trebuchets, they did use their predecessor, the palintonon…

With all the new members joining the Discord Server and the attention we have been getting on YouTube and elsewhere, I wanted to recognize the Mod Team that helped the project get to where it is today. Sapsan, a talented 3D artist and the first person to join the endeavor back in 2020 before I ever considered sharing the Romae ad Bellum idea with AOE 2 DE community. If you love staring at those beautiful custom units in game, you have him to thank. @TheConqueror753 joined when the Mod was a simple prototype that mainly reskinned a few base game civs. He jumped at the opportunity to take over civ design and added some much-needed depth. If you find yourself enjoying the expansive list of Civs, Unique Techs, Bonuses, and Balance decisions, you have him to thank. AbeJin, another talented 3D Artist, jumped in and started creating unique Wonders for all the custom civs, including the new naval unit the Quinquereme. AbeJin has many additional assets in the works as well, including custom walls, gates, and even some scenario editor goodies. @Mahazona has been a longtime collaborator from the mods early days. He has offered advice, direction, and support that helped keep the project going. Special thanks to @IronKaiser5 and of course @SpiritOfTheLaw1. Both took interest in our Mod and helped promote on their YouTube Channels. Forever grateful for the kind words and free marketing :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Those are amazing, in fact, I would love a separate graphical mod that replaced the Feudal Central European architecture with that one, since it still fits the AoE2 time period pretty well imo

If you give me permission I could do it myself (I think, haven’t looked much into it, I would try at least)

Edit: The mod works, the only problem is that I just remembered don’t use the enhanced graphics so it just doesn’t work unless I rename the file, but then it’s 2 times as big in-game, so I shrunk it with SLX studio, but it ends up being blurry (tried all the resize options) and having purple outlines, anyway, I’ll try again later after learning more about SLX, so sorry for the off-topic, I guess my question is:

Do you plan on making a version of the mod for non-Enhanced Graphics DLC users? my PC is a potato lol

2 Likes

@Julix3748 You can resize using SLX. Choose Bicupic method and resize to 50%. Make sure to turn pallet off and once complete you will need to recreate data graphic for player color, mask, and shadow. Use the presets of Dark Magenta for shadow and Blue for player color with 30% and 19% tolerance respectively. That should work for most buildings and AoE units that were ported over.

Custom units are trickier, they require more care with player color and shadows. We have a worksheet with the hex codes if you want to attempt.

Yes, we do intend to support non HD when all civs are completed and launched. However, at current pace this will be several months out.

In the interim, you could consider using UHD and if playing on smaller monitor set zoom out to max.

Yeah I just joined the SLX sub and I’m learning how to resize them, thanks!

1 Like

@Julix3748 here is the SLX Discord. This was very helpful for me.

We have published a new version of the Mod. Iberians have now been added.

Romae ad Bellum Release v66692.2.0 (Latest Version)

Iberians Civ Selection:

Additional Notes about release:

• Heavy Siege Onager now uses correct destruction and decay animation.
  • Roman Empire Imp UT Diocletian Reforms nerfed heavily.
  • Spartan unique tech Kryptia bonus damage increase reduced to 33% from 50%.
  • Elite Praetorian Prefect bonus damage against cavalry increased from +4 to +6.
  • All forms of Legionaries (regular and elite, melee and ranged) -1 attack.
  • Hunnic UT Atheism renamed to Scourge of God
  • Numidian UT Maghrebi Camels health regeneration buffed significantly.
  • Ring archer armor added for Numidians.
  • Numidian UT Numidian Raiders buffed, pierce armor gain increased from +1 to +2, and now extends to Mercenary Numidian Cavalrymen and the scout line
  • Parthian UT Camel Archers renamed to Camelry Corps
  • Persian UT Scythe Chariots bonus damage against infantry increased from +2 to +4.
  • Phoenician UT Sidonian Glass stone generation rate nerfed significantly.
  • Description fixed for Elite Comite Upgrade and for Elite Cataphract.
  • Large number of bugs fixed for unintended tech trees, UU stats being wrong, and techs not having their correct effects in full.
2 Likes

To go with update 66692.2.0, we are now bringing you the Rome at War tech tree. I’ve been working on this project for several months now, and it’s designed to address the issues with the ingame tech tree not accurately representing what techs/units you actually have available. Thanks to @HSZemi for their permission to reuse the base code from aoe2 tech tree, and for their assistance with reworking some parts of the code for Rome at War.

You can find the new Rome at War tech tree here.

1 Like

the tech tree link looks pretty nice. but honestly its a huge disgrace modders have to go such length for a techtree.

they need to get the techtree json fixed asap and also allow possible additional row for additional age, make it more customizable.

2 Likes

Another beautiful screenshot from Mother on Discord.

2 Likes

Concept Forts

9 Likes

Forts sounds weird to me, it reminds me of the forts of AoE 3, in AoM and AoE Online are called Fortresses and I feel like it sounds a little better xd…