Roman Swordsmen OP?

It seems like Rome might be a little overpowered because I’ve seen their swordsmen (legions) take down other civ’s centurions 1v1. I’m I going crazy or should Rome have their swords bonus changed?

Its not op, against assyrian you die befort that :stuck_out_tongue: .

@Lithen777 said:
It seems like Rome might be a little overpowered because I’ve seen their swordsmen (legions) take down other civ’s centurions 1v1. I’m I going crazy or should Rome have their swords bonus changed?

Well their Legion are good on offensive but they still have the same problem as other legion, they’re weak on defense. Tower, Archer and Siege are all effective against them.

@Amphiprion said:
Its not op, against assyrian you die befort that :stuck_out_tongue: .

Well, the game can possibly be a DM and in that case Assyrian are quite weak.

OP? Nah, it’s their balance. Legions are easily counterable - archers, siege, etc. It’s just balance.

Besides, you are ignoring the fact that, to get them , you have to spend a good amount of resourses that you have to really considerer, usually to that point of the game, the resourses are getting limited … and of course, like our friends already said, weak to siege etc.

Not sure how can they take down centurions. if both sides have equal amount of technologies researcher from storage pit, then the centurion will win.
i just tested fully upgraded roman phalanx against fully upgraded roman legion and the phalanx won the fight.

Fully upgraded Roman centurion vs 2 fully upgraded Roman legion and the centurion won with 10 health. The centurion was fighting against the two legion at the same time.

Armored Elephant had 48 health left after fighting against 2 Legion.

One roman legion barely wins one Hoplite. (10 health left when both had all bronze age upgrades from storage pit.) I couldn’t create fully upgraded Hoplite fight duo to Hoplite changing to Centuoron when post iron age. The Phalanx still stayed Phalanx at post iron age.

EDIT:
All tests were made in upatch

Swordsmen are easy to counter. In bronze age there are chariot archers and composite bowmen and in iron helepoli.

@pate623 said:
Not sure how can they take down centurions. if both sides have equal amount of technologies researcher from storage pit, then the centurion will win.
i just tested fully upgraded roman phalanx against fully upgraded roman legion and the phalanx won the fight.

Fully upgraded Roman centurion vs 2 fully upgraded Roman legion and the centurion won with 10 health. The centurion was fighting against the two legion at the same time.

One roman legion barely wins one Hoplite. (10 health left when both had all bronze age upgrades from storage pit.) I couldn’t create fully upgraded Hoplite fight duo to Hoplite changing to Centuoron when post iron age. The Phalanx still stayed Phalanx at post iron age.

EDIT:

Here you seem to have forgotten that legions are very cheap. Two legions cost the same amount of resources as one centurion and the centurion barely won and in this case the legions still cost less gold. If the legion has any more upgrades than the centurion, it would be a cost effective fight for the legions and even with equal upgrades it’s about the same.

And elephants are very expensive. For the cost of one you would have four legions or more. The elephants’ trample damage gives them an edge in large numbers, but in small numbers the legions win easily.

I think romans are quite balanced. Perhaps we should point other overpowered civs.

Get machine gunned by mounted archers and siege, trampled by scythes, eliminated by academy. Rome are fairly weak in Bronze (no archers beyond impair) so need Iron Age bonuses.

Personally, whilst Roman Legions beat Choson 1v1 I preferred Choson on multiplayer RM as the extra hit points on Choson long swords allows them to soak more arrows earlier on in Iron (though Rome gets Tower shields)

I would go Roman Scythes in Iron over Roman Legions personally.

@Ksawery said:
I think romans are quite balanced. Perhaps we should point other overpowered civs.

Yeah, like Assyrians or Minoans…

@pate623 said:

EDIT:

I greatly appreciate this research. Perhaps Upatch made a difference, it’s been a very long time since I’ve played.

@RWNorthPole said:
OP? Nah, it’s their balance. Legions are easily counterable - archers, siege, etc. It’s just balance.

Yeah its just the balancing for Rome, and as stated above they are easily enough countered. I’ve always enjoyed that Rome has this trait with their swordsman tho :slight_smile:

@RWNorthPole said:

@Ksawery said:

Well I don’t consider Minoans strictly OP but perhaps they are a little bit OP. What do you think about minoan’s balance in UPatch HD? (Minoan: the small farming bonus ,+60 Food, was removed; Ship cost to -20% (previously -30%).)

Tool rush the minoan and wall his gold :slight_smile:

@Ksawery said:

@RWNorthPole said:

@Ksawery said:

Well I don’t consider Minoans strictly OP but perhaps they are a little bit OP. What do you think about minoan’s balance in UPatch HD? (Minoan: the small farming bonus ,+60 Food, was removed; Ship cost to -20% (previously -30%).)

I was thinking more about their insane range bonuses for their archers - nullifies towers and they can punish you HARD with a composite rush.

@RWNorthPole said:

@Ksawery said:

@RWNorthPole said:

@Ksawery said:

I was thinking more about their insane range bonuses for their archers - nullifies towers and they can punish you HARD with a composite rush.

Minoan composite bowmen are indeed very hard to counter. They even outrange stone throwers with all the bronze age upgrades. Perhaps it should be changed to +1 range in bronze age and +2 in iron.

@qweytr24 said:

@RWNorthPole said:

@Ksawery said:

@RWNorthPole said:

@Ksawery said:

Minoan composite bowmen are indeed very hard to counter. They even outrange stone throwers with all the bronze age upgrades. Perhaps it should be changed to +1 range in bronze age and +2 in iron.

Yeah - keep the buff, just lessen it…countering a good micro Minoan player is ridiculously difficult, especially since a sufficiently large group of their Composite Bows will absolutely slaughter everything, including Cataphracts.

Roman is my favorite civ, but that is because I like their balance, and I am a Roman history fan. The legion unit is certainly not over-powered. Helis, horse archers, good bowmen, and priests easily counter legions. This is the first time I heard the suggestion that they are OP.

In game? Balanced
In real life? OP
They helped create the greatest Empire ever existed.