Romania/Wallachia general post

Not even Balkan civs? Boy, tough crowd.

Not when Europe is already overrepresented
Iā€™d sooner see 10 new African civs

Maybe if we got more Non-Euro civs Iā€™d be more receptive

2 Likes

I may sound harsh. But I donā€™t think we will gain anything out of this civ introduced officially. Itā€™s a very easy to make civ with the help of mods. Instead of investing hundreds of hours on writing pointless posts just start making mods.You have everything to start your work with. Poenari Castle is there, Draculaā€™s hero model and multiple other models for East Europe are there. It is a very easy civ to make. You even have a campaign to tinker around with. Just get the scenario files from HD and change it as you like. Official DLC for civ that do not need any assets is a cash grab. You guys are trying to help devs get away with easy work by demanding such civs.

6 Likes

I want a renaming name dlc for 9.99 /s but it would be cool if they made a dlc that reworks some, changed the names of some and gave everyone their unique castles.

2 Likes

Would actually be cool for a Halloween event. Of course not in ranked.

Western Europe is overrepresented. Yes, Iā€™m aware that comparing Western Europe & Eastern Europe vs All Africa is not a fair comparison in terms of scale, but Western & Eastern Europe always got different treatment. And especially the Balkans who is the Eastern Europe of Eastern Europe.

Let me guess: Slavs into Ruthenians?

Saying ā€œI may sound harshā€ like you donā€™t mean it, when given our other discussion your intention was always to sound harsh, is just fake as hell. Every civ is easy to make with mods, I donā€™t see your point why this one would be different? The posts are useful for people who are interested in the history of Romania & developers who may want to use it as inspiration for a Romanian civ, it may be pointless to you for personal reasons but not to other people.

I love how youā€™re trying to take advantage of the Victors and Vanquished by insinuating a Romania DLC will be a cash grab as well. Convenient, isnā€™t it?

• Nevermind that Draculaā€™s campaign will still be non-DLC (Remember Gurajas?) so they still have to make 3 new campaings (such as Ruthenians/Slavs, Maygars and Turks). It would be perfect.
  • Nevermind that the civ design will at the end of the day have to be made by the devs alone and special units such as Viteji or Portars will be made by the devs alone.
  • What multiple other models for East Europe? itā€™s like saying ā€œetcā€ because you ran out of examples. You have Draculaā€™s campaign which is an invalid argument because wonā€™t be part of the DLC.

I would put 3 Balkan civs at least: Serbs (Stefan Dusan), Croats (Tomislav) and Vlacs (Dracula)ā€¦ then in a single player dlc I would put 3 campaigns for Turks (Mehmet II), Magyars (Matthias Corvinus) and Slavs (Ivan III)ā€¦

The Gaels with U are from AoE 1 (who were Celts from France), unless you are referring to the Gaels with E (who were Celts from northern Britain), which I agree with renaming them that wayā€¦

Of course I agreeā€¦

I got so used to that one guy suggesting a new Wallachian campaign when thereā€™s already Dracula that I thought you were doing the same

No, I meant Gauls with an U. They donā€™t fit in AoE2 but neither does the Woad Raider (or the Gbeto for that matter).

Anyway, you mean a 3-civ-5-campaign DLC? Iā€™d pay for that (even if probably only on discount).

No point in adding a civ that already have a campaign, while there are 20+ civs with no campaign?
I may sound harsh but your statement is not very logical :smiley:

Also you used wording like ā€˜ā€˜such civsā€™ā€™ (passive-aggressive) as if civs that are already in the game are more important then this one or as if you are entitled to decide who is good enough for this game.
I can name you at least 10 civs that had half of the impact that Vlachs had in history of Europe, being the middle point between Ottoman invasion and Christian Europe, stopping the invasion many times. Even the Pope named Stefan The Great: The Athlete of God that saved Christianity, not even mentioning Vlad the Impaler and many other rulers that stopped the huge Ottoman army with cunning and skill.

Vlachs need to be in the game no matter what. Playing the Dracula campaign with other civs is a blasphemy.

1 Like

ā€œSuch Civsā€ means Civilizations that need minimum to no new graphical assets to be made by the developers. It can be created majorly by reuse of scenario editor models. For Example: Romans Civ in RoR.

I agree, not very logical.

Perhaps you can make a DLC where you add the 1 civ that has a campaign but no civ. And add 3 other campaigns for civs that have no campaign.

That seems to solve both ā€œissuesā€ at the same time, doesnā€™t it?

Since thereā€™s already a Dracula campaign, the Romanians would already have a campaign.

They could fix some things in the Dracula campaign, such as:

• Always playing as Romanians (except for mission 1 in co-op, where player 1 could be Dracula Romanians, player 2 could be Mustafa Hassan Turks)
  • Add heroes in the campaign:
  • Vintila Florescu, Champion (pro-Dracula boyar from mission 1)
  • Neagoe de la Strehaia, Paladin (pro-Dracula boyar from mission 1)
  • Giacu Balaceanu, Arbalester (pro-Dracula boyar from mission 1)
  • Prince Stephen, Hussar (Draculaā€™s cousin from mission 5, not yet voivod)
  • Stephen III of Moldavia, Paladin (Draculaā€™s cousin from mission 5, voivod)
  • Commander Gales, Knight (general in service of Dracula in missions 3 and 4)
  • Make it a co-op campaign
  • In mission 1, player 1 could play with Dracula as Romanian (loyal Wallachian retinue) and player 2 play as Turks (Mustafa Hassan gave him the Turkish troops).
  • In mission 2, Prince Stephen could be the co-op partner. (real person)
  • In missions 3 and 4, Commander Gales could be the co-op partner. (real person)
  • In mission 5 Stephen III of Moldavia could be the co-op partner. (real person)

And the heroes could be new unique models since Juggernaut8704 is complaining that not enough new models will be used. I have no issue if they look generic, but if they donā€™t it would fix his ā€œno new graphical assetsā€ issue.

More here:

But other than that, Magyars, Slavs/Ruthenians and Turks are notably missing campaigns. Who else lived next to Romanians/Vlad the Impaler and interacted with the Romanians a lot? Magyars, Slavs/Ruthenians and Turks.

2 Likes

It make sense after all the Slavs have been split. Having Slavs is like having Indians. Iā€™m just asking for consistency from the developers. If groups have been split, the legacy names should be gone too and if there is unique castles for some but not for all, that is weird. If we changed the Vietnamese to East Asian, there should be no reason the Persians canā€™t be changed too.

5 Likes

I agree. Having Slavs made sense when there was no Bulgarians, Poles or Bohemians. But nowdays is like having Bengalis, Dravidians, Gurajas and Indians in the game. It lacks consistency.

Moreover, it is clear the Slavs in game are actually the Ruthenians.

Iā€™m okay with only the Dracula campaign, but the reason I wish for Stephen the Great as well (at least in Draculaā€™s missions 2 as crown prince and missions 5 as voivode; as helper) is because objectively Stephen the Great was far better than Vlad the Impaler, but he isnā€™t popular because he didnā€™t impale people.

If you remember Draculaā€™s story, after he lost his throne, is brother Radu the Handsome loyal to the Ottomans became prince of Wallachia. Who dethroned Radu the Handsome? Stephen the Great, and put Basarab Laiotă on the throne (who later betrayed Stephen and allied with the Ottomans, only to also be beaten by Stephen).

But donā€™t take my word for it that he was a great commander, here are the facts, judge for yourself:

• Stephen the Great and Vlad the Impaler were first cousins and contemporaries, one ruled Moldavia and the other Wallachia, sometimes they helped each other in battes.

• Stephen the Great is less popular than his cousin in international history, because being a religious man is less cool than impaling the opposition. However, when it comes to military & economic success:

• Stefan Mușat lived 71 years and ruled for 47 years. (the average reign of a Moldavian & Wallachian ruler was about 3 years, Vlad the Impaler ruled for 8 years in all his 3 reigns combined)

• He took the throne of Moldavia from his uncle who killed his father to take the throne with help from Vlad the Impaler.

• He was a faithful man and for every victory he would build a church in the name of God. (While you probably know about Vlad the Impalerā€™s dark tendencies)

• He had 44 victories out of 46 battles, his only defeats being at the hand of the Ottomans (Chilia & Valea Alba). (This is insane for any military ruler in my opinion, especially when you consider he was outnumbered in most of his battles)

• Sometimes he didnā€™t even have time to rest, he would beat the Tattars outnumbered, and then again with the same troops beat the Ottomans outnumbered.

• The letters: After the Battle of Vaslui, Stephen the Great already famous through Europe for his victories against the Ottomans, so he took that opportunity to ask all European nations (that includes western Europe like France, Germany and England too) for a new crusade against the Ottoman Empire. He sent a letter to each, but none replied as they were too busy fighting each other.

###############################################################ine; image

And his 2 defeats:

• His most crucial victories were: against Matthias Corvinus of Hungary at Baia, against the Tatars at Lipnic and against Suleiman of the Ottoman Empire at Vaslui, and against John Albert of Poland in Codrii Cosminului.

• In his 2 defeats: the madman was trying to siege a fortress while outnumbered, as the attacker. And in his second defeat both sides took heavy losses although the Ottoman army outnumbered the Moldavian army 10 to 1. And he still managed to inflict 30.000 casualties, against Mehmed the Conqueror.

• His reign was the Golden Age of Moldavia, both economically and in terms of being independent.

• When Vlad the Impaler was released from prison by Matthias Corvinus (who betrayed and imprisoned him; they were supposed to fight the Ottomans together), it is because of Stephen the Greatā€™s insistance that Matthias Corvinus released him, then he helped Vlad take back his throne for the 3rd & last time (mission 5 - he didnā€™t die, AoE2ā€™s story is wrong, he had his 3rd reign for about 1 year then was killed in battle).

• While Vlad the Impaler, although Christian, is seen in popular culture more like the devil or at least a cruel torturer, Stephen the Great was more of a devout Christian or at least a religious fanatic. The Pope called him ā€œChampion of Christā€ although he was Orthodox and was sometimes named ā€œStephen the Holyā€ while he was alive.

Some Stephen the Great quotes: (a glimpse of his character)

"I donā€™t like wars.ā€ - Stephen the Great

ā€œWe do not owe anything to anyone and we never oppressed anyone! We want to live in understanding with the neighbours that God gave us, as well as with faraway countries.ā€ - Stephen the Great

ā€œIf you already have so much money and power, what are you doing in my country?ā€ - Stephen the Great, to Mehmed the Conqueror

ā€œItā€™s not Moldavia of Stephen, itā€™s Stephen of Moldavia, Moldavia does not belong to me, nor to us, it belongs to our childrensā€™ children forevermore. And our childrensā€™ children will forever remember our exalted victory.ā€ - Stephen the Greatā€

ā€œDeeds speak louder than words, and in history only deeds remain.ā€ - Stephen the Great

ā€œThe strongest ally is the respect and loyality of your own people.ā€ - Stephen the Great

ā€œA king does not only win battles, but also the respect and the admiration of his own people.ā€ - Stephen the Great

ā€œThe will is the sword with which you open your own path towards destiny.ā€ - Stephen the Great

ā€œDiplomacy doesnā€™t mean weakness, but intelligence and the ability to avoid useless conflicts.ā€ - Stephen the Great

ā€œA true king is not only the ruler of the realm but the protector of the most vulnerable.ā€ - Stephen the Great

ā€œOur values and traditions are like a stone fortress, strong and impossible to conquerā€. - Stephen the Great

ā€œEvery decision is like a brick in the construction of our history.ā€ - Stephen the Great

ā€œThe pride of a woman is the man who wears with respect the crown of her soul and protects her honor with the sword of his courage.ā€ - Stephen the Great

ā€œWhile others spend their time blaming each other, we build our own future.ā€ - Stephen the Great

ā€œWhen honor and duty calls you, there is no turning back.ā€ - Stephen the Great

On February 3rd, 1531, less than three decades after the passing of Stefan III , the principle of Moldova, Sigismund I, the king of Poland (1506-1548), referred to him as ######### ille magnus (ā€œthat great Ştefanā€). Bernard Wapowski, the official cartographer and historiographer of the same king, wrote that the Moldavian ruler was ā€œthe most famous principle and warriorā€ of his time. Doctor Matteo Muriano, sent to Suceava from Venice in the summer of 1502, in order to provide medical assistance to the Moldavian principle, wrote in his report that ā€œhe is a very wise man, worthy of much praise, loved by his subjects as he is merciful and righteous, always vigilant and generousā€. Considered by his contemporary fellow Europeans as a head of state who had managed to hold the reins of the country for 47 years, Stefan was seen by the people as a symbol of stability, consistency, economic development and justice and, at the time of his funeral, Moldova was ā€œin mourning, and everyone was weeping as they had lost a parentā€¦ā€ (Grigore Ureche - The Chronicles of Moldavia).

Victors and vanquished would have been a great moment for this battle:

3 Likes

Some civs donā€™t have even one campaign (and I personally still want a Bari replacement) so I hope you can at least understand why people donā€™t want a second campaign for a civ that isnā€™t yet in the game (and already has a campaign to justify its existence).

Iā€™d be fine with a Dracula rework tho.

8 Likes

I understand that, I donā€™t wish for multiple Vlach campaigns, only a rework for Draculaā€™s campaign (fixing historical inaccuracies as listed in the post above) and at least a reference to Stephen the Great, perhaps having him help Vlad in mission 2 when he was just Stephen Mușat (another playable hero if singleplayer, or the leader of a 2nd army if co-op) and mission 5 when he was already Stephen III of Moldavia (same, secondary hero in singleplayer, leader of a 2nd army in co-op).

I think he deserves at least a reference given his deeds and character from the previous post.

4 Likes

It doesnā€™t have to be one civ, hereā€™s my idea:

DLC name ā€œCarpathian Phanoriatesā€

• Moldovans (New Campaign on Stephen the Great)

• Transylvanians (New Campaign on Michael the Brave)

• Wallachians (Reworked Campaign of Vlad the Impaler)

Letā€™s have 3 new civs and 2 new campaigns and 1 reworked campaign. It is a very reasonable number to achieve for the devs.

Also it would be great to have 1 civ for Return of Rome as well

• Dacians (New Campaign on Decebalus)

Hereā€™s a Poster Art for the DLC

Youā€™re the only one who wants more than one civ to represent Romanians as far as I know

This is the guy I was talking about btw, not Player870583437

Well, I think I still prefer the Balkan DLC with Croatians, ROMANIANS and Serbs civs + Byzantine Architecture Set (which is the least likely, and could otherwise include Caucasian civs).

I like it. The Balkan DLC could also add Illyrians and Thracians (+ potentially Greeks spilit into Athenians and Spartans) alongside the Dacians for RoR.

3 Likes

Serbs, Croats and Albanians can be introduced later in another DLC. Unless the devs can create a massive DLC to pack them together with Wallachians, Moldovans and Transylvanians. Hopefully, we will also have another DLC with Umbrians (Papal), Genoese and Venetians later. Then we can move to cover North Europe.

Albanians could be represented by the Venetians civ, since Venice dominated Albania and adopted their fighting style - Stradiot cavallery for example. Stradiot could be a cool UU for Venetians civ (but itā€™s too early for that).

A similar situation is with the Finno-Ugric peoples (Finns, Karelians, Estonians and SƔmi), who were dominated by the Kingdom of Sweden. Here too, one Finno-Ugric UU would be sufficient to represent in Swedes civ.

I think it will be cool to have Albanians civ separate just so we can have the legendary warrior Skanderbegā€™s Campaign. Venetians can partially cover the Arberesh.