Royal House Unit Rework

They can keep some religious elements while still scrapping the really dumb stuff. Don’t even bother trying to move the heroes to a temple, just totally get rid of them. The Zen Temple already covers Sohei monks, and the Shaolin Temple could cover Shaolin monks (Rattan Shields would be better as a mercenary anyways). A Confucian Scholar and Kannushi could be added to China and Japan to cover the healer and shrine building roles.

India also needs at least a couple more maps, but at least they didn’t just leave giant blank spots on the map. They are heading in the right direction by adding Punjab and Bengal to make it have 3 maps covering it.

1 Like

I think Conquistadores should be mercenaries (or outlaws) as well. Idk what should be the replacement for them in the Jesuit temple tho.

I think Conquistadors are actually really a good fit for Jesuits. Although the Conquistadors were primarily motivated by capturing wealth, spreading their religion was definitely still a high priority for them. The Jesuits and Conquistadors were usually the first Europeans to be active in foreign lands, so if you’re going to assign a military unit to the settlement, that’s pretty much the only option.

I see.

Did they ever make then available to Spanish tho? Through cards or something, I mean.

Yeah, through the Reconquista Card.

Also, there were Portuguese Jesuits as well, so I wish they had a Portuguese-speaking unit in addition to the Conqs.

Now that Germany can replace this unit, could a royal house be able to adopt the war wagon?

In my opinion, the Luxembourg Royal House would be the best fit for the Lands of the Bohemian Crown (Czechia, Moravia, ####### and Lusatia). This Royal House could inherit “War Wagon” with the changed name “Hussite Wagon”.

1 Like

Perhaps the British Longbowman could also settle into a royal house.

In general I like your suggestion, was wondering about the lack of scoto-britiah royal house myself.

Bourbon: I believe this house units do represent them well, but unlike the others it’s units represent 17-18th, while others post 18th.

That said, Musketeer model could be used too as the mounted unit. A type of unit like hakkeplit, ranged cav unit with good melee damage.

Now the suggestion about changing its pistol attack to a charged melee, I don’t agree. I feel that pistol and musket is too much, but changing it to charged melee is no for me.

Why? Well musketeers it’s name come from musket, most series show flashy sword fights, but they weren’t the only of the time that fight “duels” in that way. It was more due the recharge times at the time than other thing.

What about removing the pistol attack and instead add a “chief” unit that represents the legendary 3 musketeers with the pistol attack. (Max 3 build limit).

To derail a little to things you already know, gameplay-wise AOE3’s War Wagon is just a strong but slow ranged cavalry, has nothing to do with how Wagenburg tactics worked.

Meanwhile, tactics similar to Wagenburg were widely used by regions east of Bohemia - by Ottoman empire, Babur, Moscovy, Cossacks, and Ming Chinese, with Ottomans learning it from Hussites, and Babur from Ottomans. It’s not inaccurate say in an AoE3 that tries harder to draw from historical tactics, the Janissary, Streltsy, and Chinese infantry units would all be built around supporting wagons.

So far, we’ve only had an AoE2DE DLC that attempted replicating Wagenburg by using an AoE2 engine’s minor feature - “unit height”, and responses had been lukewarm. As the BANG engine offers a much bigger toolbox of mechanics, perhaps there are ways to do a more accurate Wagenburg implementation - like a wagon unit that gives ranged resistance to infantry near it.

In a way, I guess South African Trek Wagon is already the AOE3DE team’s answer?

They do mimic the function of actual war wagons even though the way they do it is very different from how they actually worked. In real life, the Hussites used them as a wall to prevent heavy cavalry from charging their troops. In the game, they are light cavalry with melee resistance, so they counter heavy cavalry just like their real life counterpart.

Those were mainly the supply train, and nearly every army in history had them. That level of logistics might just take the fun out of the game. I think they should only include them as units when they had a notable combat role.

The Tabors of the Cossacks are one good example. I’d love to see a Ukrainian/Cossack revolution option that would give some kind of Cossack war wagon unit.

Trek Wagons are more like a mobile garrison point, not really an effective military unit.

1 Like

Yeah, I don’t know too much about royal houses (especially ones that could represent Czechs) but I was thinking the War Wagon should be moved to a minor civ and the Germans should get something else to represent Czechs.

Potentially add to game Hussite Camp (like Holy Site type of Minor Civilizations). Hussite War Wagon add to Hussite Camp.

In place War Wagon add to Germans civ Ritter - heavy armed cavalryman with lance.

They just say that in recent times everything that is added has to be reworked by the fans, at this point can’t you first not add so you save time and don’t work for the reworks?

That doesn’t really fit into the Royal House framework.

The Royal House system is a creative way to cover Europe but in some ways it’s too much while also being too restrictive. One alternate way I thought of having European minor factions could be using the three estates as the framework. It would allow representing a much broader cross section of society. Maybe it could be an option for an AoE5. It could have settlements like this:

1st Estate - Clergy (people who pray)

Hospitaller Commandery

• had both Catholic and Protestant branches
  • would make more sense than a whole civ based on this
  • Hospitaller Knight could be the unit

Papal Basilica

• would be more consistent and simplified than Italy’s system with pseudo mercenaries
  • units such Papal Zouaves and Swiss Guards

Orthodox Monastery

• could have Boyars as a unit

Protestant Faction?

• many are a bit too regional
  • Hussites are also a bit early
  • Huguenots may be widespread and militant enough

2nd Estate - Nobility (people who fight)

Royal Palace

• a more generic version of current royal houses
  • units that were royal guards such as Trabants

Noble’s Estate/Manor/Villa/Fief

• represents the landed estates of the nobility
  • a huntsman or warden unit could represent their hunting privileges
  • a heavy cavalry unit such as a Man-at-Arms or Demi-Lancer would also be fitting

3rd Estate - Peasants & Merchants (people who work)

Hansa Kontor

• represents the merchants of the Hanseatic League in Northern Europe
  • Reiters could be the unit

Merchant’s Quarter

• represents the Italian merchants of Southern Europe
  • Schiavone could be the unit

Manufactory

• initially cottage industry
  • has an Industrial Revolution option similar to the Victorian Era one
  • possibly produce and artillery unit
  • other units could be based on early labour revolts such as Luddites, Enragés, Communards, and revolutionaries (like in 1848)
  • maybe an uber economic unit like a steam shovel
1 Like

The solution is to make it high quality from the start. For the most part they did a good job with the royal houses but there is a lot of room for improvement. Lots just need a rename for the units but some like Habsburgs are just entirely bad.

2 Likes

The passive abilities of the royal houses start charging from the first time you build the TP, and they continue to charge even if the TP is destroyed. That is to say that once you rebuild the TP, the ability is charged as if the TP had not been destroyed. Although it is not manifested in the interface, these are still loaded.

That’s why I propose the following: Why don’t these abilities start charging from the start of the game without the need for you to build the TP? That is to say, from the beginning of the game.

They could start load 50% slower, but it normalizes once the first round is complete. This would make better use of the abilities of the royal houses.