RTS : About multitask and strategy -Deep thoughs-

I see a lot of complain, or ideas about modernity.
While I understand that “realistic” stuff sounds cool to suggest, and that eveything that prevent us from doing effort, seems cool, there is many reason why we should worry about some of the Ideas proposed.

First, age of empire is an RTS. The difference with a 4x like civilization, its because the game is not only about strategy. There is also the “RealTime” part : TIME. This is really important.

Why ? because a big part of the strategy is what will you do of your time ?
_How will you organize
_How will you prioritize
_How can you increase the efficiency of the TIME
To get closer to victory.

How will you organize:
is pretty simple. It consist to anticipate the actions that you will need to do, so you never get overcharged by it, and you can Use your APMS in an efficient way.
Example : if you know that planting farm with require somes precious seconds to you, don’t launch an attack when there is only 10 food left in your farms. Or you will be not producing/not watching your army.

How will you prioritize:
Sometime, stuff you can’t anticipate happens. you get attacked, and at this moment, many point of the game require your attention… you won’t be able to handle everything so it means you will have to do something :
MAKE A CHOICE.
Will you decide to sacrifice your army ? (if not big), or will you sacrifice your economy having iddle farmers/fishing boats, resulting in no production , so no army, in the next minute ?

As part of a strategic game, I think that the most opportunity like this to “choose”, the more “deep” and interesting the game become.

How can you increase the efficiency of the TIME
Simple. Like all the pro player know, by doing more action each second.
so, By increasing your APM, that is a personal ability on which you can improve over time.
The fact you can improve something about yourself, a physical and psychological ability, is what bring a lot of fun to the game, to IMPROVE yourself and get better in order to win => its the core spirit of a game.

Thats all those mechanics that make the overall game enjoyable.
And that explain while, in some modern game with a lot of comfort/automatic option, the game becomes boring.

So the main problem here is to always have a lot of stuff to do, in order to organize your time, prioritize your action, trying to improve your APM.

if you remove stuff to do, you remove thoses 3 aspects of the game.
Why organize if in the end you have plenty of time to do everything.
Why prioritize, if you can do both actions ?
Why improving your APM, if you are idle half of the time ?

Congratulation your game , without you realizing it, has become linear, repetitive and boring.
=> thats the failure of many RTS game, and people doesnt understand why.
They have many great comfort option, the game is beautiful, but still… they are bored when playing it.
they dont feel the little frustration that you can do better, or that things can happens differently, the little thing that make you relaunch another game .

Some successful modern game have understood it, and if they indeed have simplified some mechanics, they have added others mechanics so you always have way more stuff to do than you actually can.
Starcraft2 for example has a very simplified economic, but has a very important army micromanagement, and scouting/exploration mechanics, a deep counter units mechanics and a very big technologic tree, that you need to anticipate because you may need each and every type of unit in a game, depending on the anwer of the ennemy, so the mind is always busy.

But in a Age of Empire1 remake its impossible.
The counter units mechanics is poor, most of the time the units you decide to create are the strongest of your civilisation and you don’t really adapt to the ennemy composition, the ennemy base scouting is useless because you can’t deduce anything or a counter strategy from ennemy’s base like in starcraft…

All you have to do is micromanage a tons of economicals units, and producing a ton of army.
If you decide to remove some mechanics, you have nothing to replace it with that doesn’t already exist in the game.
For someone who can manage to handle everything in age of empire1 removing something, even if it is a boring action, just means : the game itself will become boring, because you will be a little more idle than you were, no more dynamics “time”-related choices , because now you have more time.

While some may enjoy playing more casual and reducing the game with good player thanks to that, for me its the death of the game.

Farms
So while there is good suggestions for comfort :
_walkable farms (even if im very happy to have my farm to protect my villagers from direct contact in a toolrush, so i can escape)
_right click, to rebuild farm instead of B+F

I’m not aggree with some others option like Automated-rebuild Farm / infinite farm
Because it remove something concrete to use your APM, or dynamic-strategic mind.
If you push the idea so you can undestand me : Lets say the moderns games now are not only about queue but about full automate.
you want auto villager production,
Auto villager assignation
Auto farm rebuild

You basically have an “auto economy”, and you just lose 50% of the game interest.
I won’t get into the villager queing, but its the same idea.

Gates:
Same for gates. Its a nice realistic ideas, that bring a lot of comfort and seem pretty logic.
But the fact is that in age of empire1 a wall is a strategic choice. It means sometime its good, sometime it is not. you have to choose wisely.

A wall without gate is a jail. You can’t help your ally, you cant explore, you cant attack and defend at the same time.
No wall means you are in danger. everyone can come to your base but you are totally free

So you have a real choice there. Something to sacrifice, something to win.
Choice means strategy => we are in a RTS that what we want

The game get deeper because you don’t know if the ennemy will choose to wall or not.
so you take risk you have to take decision too.

Now lets say you have gate :
There is not more counterpart to making wall.
Everyone make a wall.
No more decision about it, so no more strategy on this particular detail.
And as everyone make a wall every game, its a lot of counter strategy choice that disappear, you know from the beggining that your opponent will be walled.

No more choice, no more strategy about it, the game gets poor, no more fun.
But… you got realism and comfort…

Thats basically two example but what I want to express is that when you ask to add or remove something to the game you have to think to the deepest of what it will means for the game, the strategies, the player, and don’t stay to just the basic idea “woa automated farm its modern, its cool !”.

"Real"! RANDOM MAP
Another aspect of the game is the RandomMap.
And thats what I like, because in Realtime strategy you can also think “strategy in real time, strategy at each moment”.
That exactly what real random map is.
=> you cannot plan your strategy before playing.

Thank to random map :
you have to first witness if you find your food right away or not. If you find your food maybe you won’t find your wood, or it will be very far
So you cannot decide your strategy before playing you will have to ADAPT
ADAPT = to rething the Strategy at every moment.

That kind of stuff doesn’t happens on starcraft, the map are already decided and you know that at 2mn27second you will be constructing the X building.

in age of empire, ■■■■ HAPPENS.
And yeah sometime its crap, you’re pissed. but the ennemy have the same % of chance to having badluck at some point too.
Its like Poker. Bad luck happens, not every player have the same cards, but you have to deal with it.
And the best always succeed anyway, because of ADAPTATION capabilities.

Moreover age of empire1 never was a 1v1 contest RTS. it was more a 3v3 or 4v4 big, fun and unpredictive games. Don’t try to copy X other RTS, let aoe1 be aoe1.
if you want to have a totally symetrical, predictiven, monotask strategy game, play chess.
Age of empire is the total oposite

And sometime you’ll have some good surprise, like your allies that didn’t find his gold but has found a LOT of stone, and has just totally destroyed the ennemy army with a unnplanned defensive strategy of 10 defensive towers in his base and accross the map.

Or an ally that started the game on an island and that comme to your rescue with a lot of boat armies from the coasts , that you never expected to see on a land battle.

So I won’t force you to agree on X or Y proposition, i just want you to go for the correct question.

but my final world would be :
Its strategic, unpredictive, Fun, what else do we care about ?

Age of empire 1 : Don’t try to copy others half assed RTS, be Yourself and be Proud , you’re the more fun to play of All !!! You could be ashamed of your graphicals but now your time has come, Assume your own style !

Thank you for reading until the end.

@Tgaud Big Like!

You forgot to write about those “but it’s old” comments :tongue:

Well that’s a very long topic, but I totally aggree, I’ve never thought about that before

@keepintouch75 said:
Well that’s a very long topic, but I totally aggree, I’ve never thought about that before

Some say that AoE 1 comes from an age where they didn’t know what made an rts good.

I think they got it first shot.

@Zsombro said:

@keepintouch75 said:

Some say that AoE 1 comes from an age where they didn’t know what made an rts good.

I think they got it first shot.

Exactly.
but The graphics would be better ^^

AOE2 was good too, but for different reason. More units, more army stiles, better graphics.
But it was also missing something.

@Tgaud said:
How will you organize:
is pretty simple. It consist to anticipate the actions that you will need to do, so you never get overcharged by it, and you can Use your APMS in an efficient way.
Example : if you know that planting farm with require somes precious seconds to you, don’t launch an attack when there is only 10 food left in your farms. Or you will be not producing/not watching your army.

Isn’t this taking it a bit far? Do you actually think about and check these minute details in the heat of the moment?

How will you prioritize:
Sometime, stuff you can’t anticipate happens. you get attacked, and at this moment, many point of the game require your attention… you won’t be able to handle everything so it means you will have to do something :
MAKE A CHOICE.
Will you decide to sacrifice your army ? (if not big), or will you sacrifice your economy having iddle farmers/fishing boats, resulting in no production , so no army, in the next minute ?

Prioritization can be manipulated with things like queued farms.

How can you increase the efficiency of the TIME
Simple. Like all the pro player know, by doing more action each second.

Quality > Quantity. APM is absolutely not the only foundation of a good player. Using that APM in an intelligent manner, however, is.

Thats all those mechanics that make the overall game enjoyable.
And that explain while, in some modern game with a lot of comfort/automatic option, the game becomes boring.

This is subjective, and this is your opinion. I don’t think little QoL changes would ruin the game, or make it boring. If anything, it would make it less tedious - farms in AoE drive me up the wall, and yet I still play RoR daily.

So the main problem here is to always have a lot of stuff to do, in order to organize your time, prioritize your action, trying to improve your APM.

if you remove stuff to do, you remove thoses 3 aspects of the game.
Why organize if in the end you have plenty of time to do everything.
Why prioritize, if you can do both actions ?
Why improving your APM, if you are idle half of the time ?
Congratulation your game , without you realizing it, has become linear, repetitive and boring.
For someone who can manage to handle everything in age of empire1 removing something, even if it is a boring action, just means : the game itself will become boring, because you will be a little more idle than you were, no more dynamics “time”-related choices , because now you have more time.

Utter hyperbole. Removing/changing a few things like the farming mechanics will not make you “idle half the time” or make a player stop prioritizing. Please look at AoE2 for a good example of vastly improved (imo) mechanics, and a very high competitive skill ceiling. AoE:DE will not be repetitive, nor will it be boring. If something as small as, let’s say, queue-able farms does make you so bored, and is indeed ruinous to your gaming experience, then I don’t think you’re playing the game fast enough (since you seem to focus on that aspect way more than anything else).

If you push the idea so you can undestand me : Lets say the moderns games now are not only about queue but about full automate.
you want auto villager production,
Auto villager assignation
Auto farm rebuild
You basically have an “auto economy”, and you just lose 50% of the game interest.
I won’t get into the villager queing, but its the same idea.

I profoundly disagree. You’re using hyperbole to prove your point, which makes no sense. Who ever asked for an automatic economy? Queuing farms is not the same as an “automatic economy”.

Gates:

Look at AoE2. Seriously, if anything, gates and reseedable farms in AoE2 prove that little QoL changes aren’t the death of a game. Besides, you’re acting like we can’t just create impromptu holes in the walls as makeshift gates in AoE, which we definitely can, and which is part of strategy.

Thats basically two example but what I want to express is that when you ask to add or remove something to the game you have to think to the deepest of what it will means for the game, the strategies, the player, and don’t stay to just the basic idea “woa automated farm its modern, its cool !”.

I don’t think anyone’s made that point, but fair enough, I agree with it.

moreover age of empire1 never was a 1v1 contest RTS. it was more a 3v3 or 4v4 big, fun and unpredictive games. Don’t try to copy X other RTS, let aoe1 be aoe1.

Where did you get this idea from? Plenty of AoE matches, both casual and competitive, are 1v1.

And sometime you’ll have some good surprise, like your allies that didn’t find his gold but has found a LOT of stone, and has just totally destroyed the ennemy army with a unnplanned defensive strategy of 10 defensive towers in his base and accross the map.

Or an ally that started the game on an island and that comme to your rescue with a lot of boat armies from the coasts , that you never expected to see on a land battle.

These are all random events, though. I think you might be attributing too much of your nostalgia to the game’s randomness over the actions of your allies/opponents.

but my final world would be :
Its strategic, unpredictive, Fun, what else do we care about ?

Yes, but little QoL changes like farms (or gates, which won’t be in the game, but I digress) won’t ruin this, or change it negatively. Thanks for your post, anyway :slight_smile:

@RWNorthPole said:

Like Tgaud’s said, AOE2 could have automated farms because it has a lot of other stuff to keep you busy both economics and military.
did you read his post ?

You seem to dislike everything about age of empire1.
Maybe it’s simply not a game for you ?
You seem want to make it something it’s not.
If you have a different RTS vision, maybe you should go on age of empire3 forum and ask for a remake, or for an age of empire 4, and I would follow you. But here it’s about age of empire 1 dude…

Sorry dude, but you know when you go to a chinese restaurant, it’s to eat chinese, not italian.

Thank you. This was a very good read. You hit the nail on the head.

Thank you, best topic read today. Very informative, I will think over those facts.

@keepintouch75 said:

@RWNorthPole said:

Like Tgaud’s said, AOE2 could have automated farms because it has a lot of other stuff to keep you busy both economics and military.
did you read his post ?

If you have a different RTS vision, maybe you should go on age of empire3 forum and ask for a remake, or for an age of empire 4, and I would follow you. But here it’s about age of empire 1 dude…

Sorry dude, but you know when you go to a chinese restaurant, it’s to eat chinese, not italian.

Like I said, I play RoR daily. I am most definitely a fan of the game, and have played it for a very long time. I dislike AoE3, and I don’t really need an AoE4. AoE2 had plenty of things to do, but in my opinion, not much more than AoE1. I did read the post, hence why I responded to it…I’m not asking for italian here, I just want chinese without the old limitations and annoyances. Farms are something I want to be at least improved, not changed.

I’m not asking for anything but AoE1. I want a better AoE1 - little changes won’t make it not AoE1.

@RWNorthPole said:

@keepintouch75 said:

@RWNorthPole said:

did you read his post ?

Like I said, I play RoR daily. I am most definitely a fan of the game, and have played it for a very long time. I dislike AoE3, and I don’t really need an AoE4. AoE2 had plenty of things to do, but in my opinion, not much more than AoE1. I did read the post, hence why I responded to it…I’m not asking for italian here, I just want chinese without the old limitations and annoyances. Farms are something I want to be at least improved, not changed.

I’m not asking for anything but AoE1. I want a better AoE1 - little changes won’t make it not AoE1.

Little changes would make it AoE 2 instead of a better AoE 1 :smiley:

@Zsombro said:

@RWNorthPole said:

@keepintouch75 said:

@RWNorthPole said:

did you read his post ?

I don’t really think so. I think that this is the inherent power of nostalgia - I do understand your point about it not being AoE1…I really do. But I also think that little changes are necessary to attract new players and make the game a viable purchase for anyone outside of us old-timer fans. I can play without the small changes - I have for a long time. But I would welcome them in to the game, too. Besides, we know there will be a Classic Mode, so to each their own.

@RWNorthPole said:

@keepintouch75 said:

@RWNorthPole said:

did you read his post ?

@RWNorthPole said:

@keepintouch75 said:

@RWNorthPole said:

did you read his post ?

Your little changes are about removing parts of AOE1…

@BoucleOrange413 said:

@RWNorthPole said:

@keepintouch75 said:

@RWNorthPole said:

did you read his post ?

@RWNorthPole said:

@keepintouch75 said:

@RWNorthPole said:

did you read his post ?

Your little changes are about removing parts of AOE1. But what to replace them ?

I’ve already talked about this in the old “Auto-farms” post, but I agree with @LegoVogel 's ideas there. He said:

"Right-click replenish option: Dead farms should appear on screen for a long time, and makes it easier to rebuild.
or

Farm queing at the granery: But that depends a bit on the following questions:
How much bigger maps (bigger than gigantic) will there be? and more importantly, will there be an higher population capacity in singleplayer games?"

@RWNorthPole said:

@Zsombro said:

@RWNorthPole said:

@keepintouch75 said:

@RWNorthPole said:

did you read his post ?

I don’t really think so. I think that this is the inherent power of nostalgia - I do understand your point about it not being AoE1…I really do. But I also think that little changes are necessary to attract new players and make the game a viable purchase for anyone outside of us old-timer fans. I can play without the small changes - I have for a long time. But I would welcome them in to the game, too. Besides, we know there will be a Classic Mode, so to each their own.

New players would find this game new if they didn’t knew it was a remastered version of a 20 years old game.

@RWNorthPole said:

"Right-click replenish option: Dead farms should appear on screen for a long time, and makes it easier to rebuild.

Everyone agree to that

How much bigger maps (bigger than gigantic) will there be? and more importantly, will there be an higher population capacity in singleplayer games?"

What does it change ? more complexity means more choices, it will be the same problem for every player so it’s fine.
And i’m not sure you will go far more after the usual 200 pops.

@Zsombro said:

@RWNorthPole said:

@Zsombro said:

@RWNorthPole said:

@keepintouch75 said:

@RWNorthPole said:

did you read his post ?

New players would find this game new if they didn’t knew it was a remastered version of a 20 years old game.

New players who would find themselves probably annoyed at outdated, ancient mechanics initially brought about by hardware/engine limitations that applied two decades ago, which have been solved in most games since - I think a large crowd of new players will be people who got into AoE2, which was the far more popular game of the two, and it would be a real shame if these little kinds of things turned them back to AoE2. I personally can attest that more or less all of my friends would get annoyed by things we’ve all learned to deal with in AoE1 - it’s not 1997 anymore.

@BoucleOrange413 said:

@RWNorthPole said:

Everyone agree to that

What does it change ? more complexity means more choices, it will be the same problem for every player so it’s fine.
And i’m not sure you will go far more after the usual 200 pops.

More pop and larger maps also means more things to manage. I’m not sure what @LegoVogel was getting at here, exactly, (mind telling us?) but it might have to do with the amount of management that would go into manually replacing farms. With the 50 pop limit it really wasn’t that bad, but with ~25 - 30 farmers the time and management needed really grew exponentially until it became unwieldy. Not impossible, but annoying.

No one was playing 50 pop. Even in 1998 people were playing 200 already !
Anyway we get off topic.

@BoucleOrange413 said:
No one was playing 50 pop. Even in 1998 people were playing 200 already !
Anyway we get off topic.

That doesn’t change my point at all.