Rumour: Age of Empires IV is currently targeting Q1 2022 release window

First of all they should of course take their sweet time in order to craft the best possible RTS game so we can enjoy it for many years to come, however my only issue is the lack of communication from Microsoft or the Dev team in general.

Since the announcement for this game back in 2016, we’ve waitied most of that time without any information and that is a bit worrying to me. I understand that they can’t share information about unfinished ideas etc, but some sort of Developer update each month would be nice to get in order to keep the hype up and us the players calmed down that something is happening with this game.

I think having big period of time with only silence hurts the hype and I’m sure the non-hardcore fans of AoE has already forgotten about this game since the reveal trailer back in 2016 due to lack of communication. And I also think that it’s crucial in the production it’s right now, assuming it is a few years to release if we the player base could offer our constructive feedback on the game at it current state they have time to change it if they feel it’s the right decision but keeping us in the dark is a mistake.

8 Likes

I agree.
I think reason of the lack of news is they rushed to announce the game.
Remember AoE4 announcement trailer,are you understood what is the era of game?I didn’t understood.probably devs didn’t decided to even era of game.

And yes,many non-hardcore strategy gamers are forgotted the game.
Becuase aoe4 footage showed in x019,and most of show is about little budget,spin off xbox games.so many people don’t watch the show.

I don’t know games is good or bad.But indie games make better marketing

4 Likes

I agree they rushed with the announcement of AoE4 and they’ve failed with the marketing aspect of it as well.

I think many of us understood the announcement trailer with “A new age is upon us” to be a time period after AoE3, but it’s AoE2 medieval time all over again. Don’t get me wrong I hoped for either Ancient time or Medieval time as modern time wouldn’t work in AoE franchise in my opinion so I’m happy they went to this time period but it’s misleading to say the least.

8 Likes

Literally my thoughts

2 Likes

If they started 2017, release for 2022 sounds similar to SC2 development of 5 years.
SC2 Gameplay was presented after 2 years 2007 and 3 years were for balancing release 2010.

Well Starcraft 2 was released 3 years after the announcement, and a lot of this time was used to interact with community to actually develop the game.

3 Likes

Who are you? And how do you know all this?

1 Like

There will be AOE3 DE news for sure. I read somewhere the Age Rating label was registered in Brazil or something. Normally this type of activity is seen near a release of a game. AOE3 DE did have a pretty long beta period, and unlike how quickly Age I DE and Age II DE were released after they had their beta test, I am feeling kinda OK for AOE3DE. Original AoE 3 game still has audience and a thriving community. Definitely more than Age 1 DE and Celeste (Age online project.)

2 Likes

Yes,ikr.
Also AoE3 DE rated in Australia after Brasil

1 Like

Thank you for sharing that dude. So, no AOE 3 DE in the Xbox show today. ■■■■ it, i hope Gamescom or some other show can give us some more info on that.

2 Likes

When is Gamescom this strange year?

1 Like

Oh it’s online. Starts on Aug 27 and goes for 3 days. I believe since it’s all online, everyone can check it out. Normally (physical setting) you need pass to get in. One of the partner is Xbox so I think hopefully AoE 3 DE??

6 Likes

I hope they engage more fans in the development soon; or at least release more specific details about the game soon, lest they get so far along down a not-so-good gameplay path that they’re stuck with delivering what they thought people would like, but learn (too late) people don’t really like it.

The development of “Thief” (2014) was kept quite secret for several years, and then when info was finally released, the graphics and aesthetics looked pretty good, but gameplay, game mechanics, movement limitations, and a number of design decisions were pretty ‘ugh’. But it was so far along and set in its ways that changing anything would have been a nightmare for the devs at that point, no doubt. On top of that, there didn’t really seem to be any desire to listen to fans/potential customers… so they went forward and released the game shortly thereafter anyways – just delivering their vision. The final game was… not that great. At all.

Based on this experience, I’m a little worried about Age IV gameplay/design plans being under wraps for too long. Granted, Microsoft seems a LOT more receptive to hearing feedback and doing things, in general, to please the fans/gamers, rather than inflexibly dictate what they think people might want to play – so that’s good! But based on Thief (2014) and maybe another game or two, I can’t help but have a little worry if the silence goes for too long :wink:

I think Microsoft said they got a good foothold on Age IV mid- or late- last year; like they were really ramping things up, if I’m not mistaken. So there’s still a bunch of time. But if development goes for another 6 or 12 months without any substantive info? Or if info finally comes out but the game is launching in 3, 6, or 9 months? My worry meter goes up :slight_smile:

I remain cautiously optimistic, though.

5 Likes

Dawn of War 3, another RTS title, failed due to that.

3 Likes

Agree. I understand they wanted to work in peace during the first years of developement.
But it’s more than 3 years ago they started working on Aoe4 and we saw gameplay 9 months ago, so likely they already have a playable version.
Also they’ve got enough feedback on Definitive Editions, Relic can consider for Aoe4. Even from Aoe3 DE Beta testers.
Gradually they should begin askinig the community for feedback on Aoe4 itself. Especially because this is Relic’s first Age of Empires game.

7 Likes

Also it is relic’s first traditional rts.

8 Likes

Haha, priorities, 2020 is a difficult year. But there’s not much to leak now that the game has been revealed anyway :wink:

2 Likes

Yeah man 2020 is pretty ■■■■. It seems to me as we go forward we will keep raising the bar. Quite sad, I hope you and everybody here and all your families are doing well. Have faith (not religion) but faith as in humanity, everything will be fine.

Take care, be seeing you :smile:

5 Likes

So just to be clear, there was no news about AOE4 at gamescon this year?

1 Like

Yes, there was no news for AOEIV this year.

4 Likes

And probably no news until Age3 DE release (15th October).
Next realistic chance is around the Xbox Series X release. I think they make a release event for the new Xbox and new games. Last Aoe4 gameplay was also shown on November (2019), why not this year again? I hope for it :slight_smile:

2 Likes