Rushing it (No pun intended)

We all remember how AoEo dropped from somewhere around 100k players to 10k players in the first few weeks due to lack of Age related content. Something like this again would be a devastation to the AoE franchise and because of that, I believe it to be important that the AoE 4 developers take their time with the game. DO NOT RUSH ANYTHING. I want to hear what people think the game should be released with so that we are sure there is no shortage…including new ideas!

We of course need the following:

1. Skirmish (cough cough AoEo)
  2. Multiplayer (Assuming there’s no equipment system like AoEo, then we won’t need a noncompetitive version AND a competitive version)
  3. Some type of learning campaign like William Wallace (Thought they did a good job with this)
  4. Campaigns- Should it be more AoE2 style where there are multiple campaigns to different conquerors or AoEo style with quests and such
  5. Scenario builder- a big thing I loved about AoE as a child was the ability to make epic games and battles in the scenario editor and would love to see this with a modern AoE game finally.
  6. Plenty of Civs— dont just have 2…

Suggestions:

1. I liked how in AoEo, you could travel to different lands out of game and each location (ex: Greece, Rome, etc.) had its own campaigns and things to do in that land. It really felt like you were playing a historical game. But of course this would eliminate a main menu like in the previous Age games in some way.
  2. Although the gear and crafting system in AoEo was controversial, I enjoyed it as it brought a different, exciting aspect to the game out of actual gameplay.

any ideas?

i feel like skins for units would be cool(like gear in aoeo, but it doesnt make ur units stronger), but please not for real money. give us points like IP in league of legends, to buy skins with in some kind of shop. and i guess u could add a money pricetag to it as well, for the people who dont have much time.

@bubble said:
i feel like skins for units would be cool(like gear in aoeo, but it doesnt make ur units stronger), but please not for real money. give us points like IP in league of legends, to buy skins with in some kind of shop. and i guess u could add a money pricetag to it as well, for the people who dont have much time.

Come on dude. Don’t you think we had enough of these loot boxes in games already. I would personally hate micro-transactions.

@bubble said:

Serious question, which direction do you want to take AOE? Can we have one game without the loot boxes/unlocking system which you can buy with real world money? Forget about that, can you tell me how are you going to implement loot boxes in the game? What approach do you think would work? And how does loot boxes fits into a RTS game?

@Mehkind said:

@bubble said:

Serious question, which direction do you want to take AOE? Can we have one game without the loot boxes/unlocking system which you can buy with real world money? Forget about that, can you tell me how are you going to implement loot boxes in the game? What approach do you think would work? And how does loot boxes fits into a RTS game?

If you played AoEo, you would know how it works and how much fun it can be… I probably spent just as much time out of game as I did in game just messing around with my equipment and home cities; and then seeing your reward in game with the gear is amazing.

Yeah…I have not played Age Online. But still man. That game was meant to serve specific crowd. And Age IV looks to me like a proper RTS game. Well, if they do implement it, then it better stay in the multiplayer portion of the game. Or other wise single player experience will be ruined. For me at least.

@Mehkind said:
Yeah…I have not played Age Online. But still man. That game was meant to serve specific crowd. And Age IV looks to me like a proper RTS game. Well, if they do implement it, then it better stay in the multiplayer portion of the game. Or other wise single player experience will be ruined. For me at least.

AOEo was a good multiplayer game. I don’t know why lot of people skipped that one. That game, even if it was flawed, inspired lot of todays popular game such as Clash of Clan, which is now a freaking 10 billion dollar company.

because outside of the game people need some kind of accomplishment system that they can grind out to keep playing besides a leaderboard. plus everyone loves to roleplay with cool new clothes on their units. aslong as it doesnt affect the stats of the units im fine with it. they can do it like the league of legends riot but with a twist: u can buy all the stuff with AOE points(that u gain from playing games, could include a win of the day bonus like in league.) But for the people that dont have time and wanna sink money into the game(whales) they can do so. it’ll be good for the game because that means they can keep adding new civs to the game, new maps(all for free) and keep adding new patches to spice up the meta. I want them to make aoe4 a longterm esports like league, where metas change and for the casuals theres cool campaigns and skins.
idk how its a bad thing if u can buy everything for free with aoe points that u gain from winning/losing games. aoe is a lot less frustrating than league. because you dont have to choose a 5v5 game mode where u depend on ur team. u can grind on ur own in 1v1, or if ur a teamplayer with a buddy in 2v2 ranked. and clan members can also play with each other in 3v3. its a lot more fun. so adding a system like this outside of the game is really cool. They should also add a level system outside of the game like WoW(but with infinite levels, which league of legends is gonna add to their game) and u get new and cool rewards based on ur level. Also ranked 2v2/3v3 quicksearch play could be locked to lvl 20 for example. So you dont get absolute beginners in ur game.

@Mehkind said:

@bubble said:

Just to make an answer for the devil (as I am for banning all the BAD finance suits that ruined the gaming industry with these kind of The division, games for asians (sorry I am not using this word for racial meaning but because asians love and have grown with League of legends, Dota etc) they could implement this by calculating over variables and making a loot box come and be earned when a match ends… the more u play combat well the better stuff u get… But this shld be just estetical stuff… just like it works on Steam for Background and showcase (NO DISCOUNT for other stuff).

This wld be a way but hell… if u do that you will put a cross on AOE forever from the already small 1% of total whole world players that play these games. (RTS)

They should introduce “skins” of troops etc that can be created in game by players so that everyone can design ultra light Shiels skins armor skins for himself. NO MONEY , nothing. and u get your greek tribe dressed as u want.

That’s all. Folks. Remove the microtransaction money stuff from videogames… u risk some groups and I hope they will (hack game studios and offices that indulge in this type of corrupted criminal policies —since years).

@Mehkind said:

You’ve never played AoEO. I’ve played every AoE game. AoEO’s multiplayer is better than anything you’ve ever played.

@Mehkind said:

@bubble said:

Just to answer for the Devil (as I am for banning all the BAD finance suits that ruined the gaming industry with these kind of The division, games for asians (sorry I am not using this word for racial meaning but because asians love and have grown with League of legends, Dota etc) they could implement this by calculating over variables and making a loot box come and be earned when a match ends… the more u play combat well the better stuff u get… But this shld be just estetical stuff… just like it works on Steam for Background and showcase (NO DISCOUNT for other stuff).
This wld be a way but hell… if u do that you will put a cross on AOE forever from the already small 1% of total whole world players that play these games. (RTS)
They should introduce “skins” of troops etc that can be created in game by players so that everyone can design ultra light Shiels skins armor skins for himself. NO MONEY , nothing. and u get your greek tribe dressed as u want.

That’s all. Folks. Remove the microtransaction money stuff from videogames… u risk some groups and I hope they will (hack game studios and offices that indulge in this type of corrupted criminal policies —since years).

@“Andy P” said:

@Mehkind said:

You’ve never played AoEO. I’ve played every AoE game. AoEO’s multiplayer is better than anything you’ve ever played.

Yeah, few of my friend called me often. But that cartoony graphics throw me off. Now I want to really try it, and there is no way to play it. I regret that decision.

@bubble said:
because outside of the game people need some kind of accomplishment system that they can grind out to keep playing besides a leaderboard. plus everyone loves to roleplay with cool new clothes on their units. aslong as it doesnt affect the stats of the units im fine with it. they can do it like the league of legends riot but with a twist: u can buy all the stuff with AOE points(that u gain from playing games, could include a win of the day bonus like in league.) But for the people that dont have time and wanna sink money into the game(whales) they can do so. it’ll be good for the game because that means they can keep adding new civs to the game, new maps(all for free) and keep adding new patches to spice up the meta. I want them to make aoe4 a longterm esports like league, where metas change and for the casuals theres cool campaigns and skins.
idk how its a bad thing if u can buy everything for free with aoe points that u gain from winning/losing games. aoe is a lot less frustrating than league. because you dont have to choose a 5v5 game mode where u depend on ur team. u can grind on ur own in 1v1, or if ur a teamplayer with a buddy in 2v2 ranked. and clan members can also play with each other in 3v3. its a lot more fun. so adding a system like this outside of the game is really cool. They should also add a level system outside of the game like WoW(but with infinite levels, which league of legends is gonna add to their game) and u get new and cool rewards based on ur level. Also ranked 2v2/3v3 quicksearch play could be locked to lvl 20 for example. So you dont get absolute beginners in ur game.

I really like your view. But I am pretty cautious about the track you are suggesting. League track might not be good idea. Because then it will Age of Legends or AgeStorm… I hope you are wrong. Let’s see some gameplay and examine what exactly relic will be doing. I am looking forward to the discussions afterward.

I’d love to be able to buy my units little outfits. I will grind all day to do that.

@“Andy P” said:
I’d love to be able to buy my units little outfits. I will grind all day to do that.

I liked the complexity of things you could buy in AoEo though… you could not only buy gear which changed the look of your troops and gave them bonuses, but you could also buy things for your buildings and collectors items to make your home city look amazing… And you could actually craft things and make schools to make more items and get consumables… I loved it all!!!

I agree, dojo, but people here who never played AoEO get grouchy. So I am staking out a very inoffensive position so as not to startle anyone.

@Mehkind said:

@bubble said:

Just to make an answer for the devil (as I am for banning all the BAD finance suits that ruined the gaming industry with these kind of The division, games for asians (sorry I am not using this word for racial meaning but because asians love and have grown with League of legends, Dota etc) they could implement this by calculating over variables and making a loot box come and be earned when a match ends… the more u play combat well the better stuff u get… But this shld be just estetical stuff… just like it works on Steam for Background and showcase (NO DISCOUNT for other stuff).

This wld be a way but hell… if u do that you will put a cross on AOE forever from the already small 1% of total whole world players that play these games

Please do not copy and paste your own posts from earlier in this thread. Had anyone wanted to read what you said on October 7, they simply could have scrolled up a little and read it.

As expressed elsewhere, I’m fine with grinding/transactions for cosmetics, but I’d really prefer to keep the RPG elements as far away from this game as possible. If you need grindy levelling to make the game interesting, then the core concept of the game has failed.