Russian prince?

The other day when I first read one of those editorial qualification recognizing the traumatic side of history, my mind also immediately started going into that Whataboutism direction. Honestly, I’d be surprised if there is a single leader mentioned in any Age game that didn’t do horrible things.

I have no idea what the Devs’ internal standards are for deciding which leaders have earned themselves an official qualification. Perhaps over time we will get a better sense of that.

But just because other people don’t get singled out as being horrible doesn’t form a reason not to single out others. But, yes, if there is some kind of latent bias where the leaders of certain sides of the globe get identified as being horrible and leaders from other sides do not, that would certainly bubble up into a problem. I think it is way too early to pass judgment but not too early to mention the concern. This stuff doesnt go away if we dont talk about it. We must discuss it.

But this topic has all the trapping of a good old fashioned forum flame war, so please everyone tread lightly and remember to leave this place better than you found it.

Also, per the code of conduct, please do not “discuss controversial topics, such as religion or politics in a way that is not directly related to the Age of Empires games and their historical context.”

Colin Powell is not directly related to ancient empires.

11 Likes