Saladin Campaign is very difficult - here's why

i will never understand how someone can be complaining about the classic campaigns being too difficult playing on moderate/hard. If it’s too hard just stick to standard difficulty or play on slower speed. In general the campaign AI is still as bad as before, without any real improvements. Why didnt they boost the AI and make it at least somewhat comparable to the AI in the forgotten campaigns? Imo i think the campaigns are actually easier now, since you have higher poplimits (around 125), while the AI is still stuck at 75 pop.

1 Like

I don’t remember Atila m1 Persians killing the horses on Moderate before. Correct me if I’m wrong.
But I’m very sure the Saladin campaign is made harder at least in m2.

I’m just sharing my opinion on the game, and I think I can…

And as I said, this will frustrate newer players (while I’m not one of them and maybe the very difficult was a bit of exaggeration) But it is certainly made more challenging.

AFAIK, Dracula campaign is nerfed. M1 is way easier and M2 is made easier too.

Just played it on hard dunno.

Teal attacked me with one ram. He did defend with mangonels though. Blue attacked me once with like 5? cavalier and 3 onagers + a treb. I never saw a single Paladin. Red just sits around after early game, the units guard some resources.

I think if you don’t optimize the early resources it could be a lot harder, I pushed deer into the TC and pretty much all villagers to gather food from them and rushed castle. I didn’t bother defending the trade routes in the meantime. If you make a mill then make it near the fish.

Once teal is done I don’t think there’s anything particular to worry about, fire ships control the water easily and if you control the water, the transport ships cannot land. Even then the assaults were rather meh. Imperial Age units for sure but it’s not like Saracens lack options for dealing with Cavalry.

2 Likes

if were on Saladin mission 2 still theres also a lot of sheep around the map you can gather up. I went sheep first,then deer and only then went to farms.

Thanks for the advice. All this aside

I was chilling a bit when it attacked, so I could do better but I did not expect this kind of attacks though.

Like, I played Sforza too and it’s made harder too

Havent played through Sforza on DE yet but ill have to try.

its weird though cause even in old game id play and handle it easily and then again and itd be really hard …so im wondering if its less they changed something specific and more they cleaned up the AI so those times the AI wasn’t being smart is cut down less. Sometimes they AI is weird…like confrag above had a treb which ive never seen blue use in either edition yet lol

2 Likes

The low Pop caps are the true difficulty in these missions.

3 Likes

Just replayed Saladin 2 which was the main complaint. Blue doesn’t attack you with land units until 40+ minutes (although he is Imp while you are locked in Castle Age)

Teal from the main picture you should have been able to deal with though. 38 minutes in you should have had something.

The AI doesn’t cheat resources in this mission so you only have to deal with a couple attack waves total

1 Like

First wave was 20 min, I took a screenshot in min 38 with the second wave. (And since I never got two attack waves from Teal back in HD even on Hard, I was caught off-guard)

I didn’t say it’s impossible to do, but very difficult.

1 Like

I completely understand your frustration! I played on the moderate level difficulty and barely won, with close to 30 HP on my wonder. New AI goes too hard in this level of the campaign.

2 Likes

The AI behavior is inconsistent now. Sometimes they play well, and sometimes they are bad in DE.
Thing is, the good to bad ratio is 8:2, and i do not want to depend on my luck to win a game. That doesn’t feel rewarding at all.
The thing i cannot comment on is if having predictable AI is a good or bad thing. The campaigns were traditionally known to have Predictable AI behavior and Triggers in game, and would be a fun story mode thing at times to sit back and relax for casual players like me.

Ever since we posted this in November, the Devs have overhauled most of the the campaign missions…EXCEPT the Saladin Missions which is a huge bummer for OG fans.