Saved games pre-nov. 2023 don't work anymore! (which is heartbreaking)

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

:point_down: These details are CRITICAL; DO NOT skip them or your issue may not be reviewed.

• GAME BUILD #: 15.30007
  • GAME PLATFORM: Steam
  • OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

:point_down: DESCRIBE THE ISSUE IN DETAIL (below). LIMIT TO ONE BUG PER THREAD.

Saved games from pre-november 2023 don’t work anymore!!

As I already said on an AoE II - since then luckily solved - bug report, “Saved games are extremely important to me. I replay saved games that I particularly like many times over.” (see Saved games: can't delete already existing stuff post-Indian dlc update - #6 by AoE2and3fan)

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

:point_down: How often does the issue occur? CHOSE ONE; DELETE THE REST!

• 100% of the time / matches I play (ALWAYS)

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

:point_down: List CLEAR and DETAILED STEPS we can take to reproduce the issue ourselves… Be descriptive!

Here’s the steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Load a saved game from before the november 2023 update 15.3007.
  2. Witness the heartbreaking failure…

:arrow_forward: EXPECTED RESULT

:point_down: What was SUPPOSED to happen if the bug you encountered were not present?

Load the saved game.

:arrow_forward: IMAGE

:point_down: ALWAYS attach a PICTURE (.jpg, .png, .gif) or VIDEO (.mp4, YouTube link) that highlights the problem.

:arrow_forward: GAME FILES (SAVE / RECORDING)

:point_down: Attach a SAVE GAME (.aoe3Ysav) or GAME RECORDING (.aoe3Yrec) of the match where you encountered the issue. Link it below if using an external file service.

Saved game from October 2023, the month before the saved game-breaking update:
Dutch, Plymouth, fun left X).age3Ysav (10.1 MB)

Sadly enough I won’t be able to update the game anymore, as updates keep breaking saved games, and saved games are decisively important for me. I build up a reserve of cool games (“fun left”), and every update since a few months consistently wipes it all out, which is depressing.

In AoE II updates don’t break saved games and yet in AoE III they do. Why? And even for AoE III, it wasn’t a problem for years. Until last summer (2023) I had saved games from the launch month (2020) and I was able to open them.

This means I also won’t be able to buy anymore DLCs, which is a shame, cos I liked them all so far (except the extremely different US and Mexico civ dlcs).

1 Like

They can’t make a system that is cross version compatible. But IRC, there’s the option to go through steam and download a previous version to play them.

IDK if there’s the possibility to install the game with two versions, probably not.

Because aoe2 and aoe3 are completely different games, build on different game engines.
If they added something completely new ( engine wise , and gameplay ) savegames will obviously break. Also it’s simply the way savegames are being handled.

1 Like

For years AoE III updates didn’t break AoE III saved games. And the earlier updates changed much more than the later ones. The (for me decisive) problem started more than three years post-launch.

1 Like

I think this issue is legitimate. Savegames are generally supposed to be compatible unless there’s some big breaking change - and such changes should be avoided or limited to minimum for this reason.

1 Like