Scenario Editor Shortcuts

This discussion was created from comments split from: AoE:DE Community Wishlist.

Created By: @rhrmn

I made a video a while ago about the editor shortcuts :slight_smile: I wonder if there’s anymore?

Thanks for posting that video, Penelinfi! I knew about three of these shortcuts (Ctrl A, G and S) and they were already game changers for my design.

And now I learn what Ctrl R can do… wow :o :slight_smile: That means my biggest wish for the editor has already come true: Trees and shrubs growing into water. Flooded cities. Water palaces and fortresses. A different, a new type of swamp with grass clumps rather than desert patches. This editor is 10 times more powerful than I thought! It allows us to really paint with the editor, so much more than just placing units… the possibilities for map design are endless.

How come AoE: DE does not have a crazy fan designer community yet? New maps with creative and atmospheric designs should start pouring in by now. The lack of dev support is not an excuse for that…

Just out of curiosity: how did you find out about these shortcuts? Did you just find out by trial and error? Did someone tell you or does the game have some documentation somewhere?

Ingo

Wow you have been living under a rock Ingo! We have had these abilities (and more) in the original game for many many years now :wink:

@AoE Community Team: How about a proper response to all that has been said in the previous months since release? I think the community deserves a good explanation why there has been zero support and no communication.

And please, don’t tell us “We are aware of the issues and working on fixing it”.

Hahaha, PhatFish, you’re right on about the rock I’ve been living under, considering I’ve been absent from AoE since about 2004/5. Until that time I didn’t see these being used anywhere in custom scenarios. My question still stands though: Who’s using it now? :wink:

And yeah, some communication and updates on support from the developers would be great…

WoW, they are alive ^^

@Penelinfi @“PhatFish AoEH” @Danicela The original post by @AoE%20Community%20Team is automatically created when comments are split into their own topic. I’ll edit this and all future splits to “Created By: @rhrmn”.

If you are thinking about commenting on an existing thread but the topic is unrelated, please go ahead and create a new thread on that topic if there is not already an existing thread on that topic.

Ok thanks, then they are not alive :smiley:

@KraeheBrot6655 said:
Thanks for posting that video, Penelinfi! I knew about three of these shortcuts (Ctrl A, G and S) and they were already game changers for my design.

And now I learn what Ctrl R can do… wow :o :slight_smile: That means my biggest wish for the editor has already come true: Trees and shrubs growing into water. Flooded cities. Water palaces and fortresses. A different, a new type of swamp with grass clumps rather than desert patches. This editor is 10 times more powerful than I thought! It allows us to really paint with the editor, so much more than just placing units… the possibilities for map design are endless.

How come AoE: DE does not have a crazy fan designer community yet? New maps with creative and atmospheric designs should start pouring in by now. The lack of dev support is not an excuse for that…

Just out of curiosity: how did you find out about these shortcuts? Did you just find out by trial and error? Did someone tell you or does the game have some documentation somewhere?

Ingo

Those shortcuts or at least the functionality was implemented on the old uPatch and even before then with very cumbersome methods - think replacing files each time you wanted a specific function!

Tbh I just pressed control and tested all the alphabetic keys until something worked after hearing that such functionality was still there. I then tested exactly what each shortcut did by trying overlap, grid, or terrain placement.

Seeing as “shallows” behaves more like water now, I don’t think you can pick up the individual shallows blocks that you used to be able to. It’s not really needed as you can simply use grass clumps etc to simulate that effect.

@Penelinfi said:

Seeing as “shallows” behaves more like water now, I don’t think you can pick up the individual shallows blocks that you used to be able to. It’s not really needed as you can simply use grass clumps etc to simulate that effect.

Thanks Penelinfi! I noticed that too, shallow tiles don’t exist anymore. I used them for a couple of tricks in RoR (e.g. walking on water, land terrain that looks like water but allows you to build on it), but the loss is not so big and there are workarounds. I’ve been using grass clumps along with desert patches for swamps for a few weeks now, I’m glad that the short cuts allow us to do that.