Score explanation from a top aoe2 player

I assume nothing. I dont know what’s your experience.

Because the game is for everyone it needs score displayed. For Team Games experience, FFA experience, viewers in Twitch experience (pov streamers, not observer ).

You Said no to score with a false argument, you said score is a magic tool that gives free information XD.

Wich is not. If you did not play age2. I understand why you think that. But now I explained what the score is

4 Likes

Yet you still write in a way that make someone believe that you are assuming things, and you still haven’t answered to my reply.

Are you even reading what I’m writing to you? We have a solution to this problem, it’s done no more discussion needed. It’s up to Relic to implement this or not in the game depending how they view this whole debate surrounding the scores.

Ok, yes sometimes I can be passionate with things that I like. Iam Sorry for that. I apologize.

What about rankeds ? Or you propose that for rankeds and custom lobbies? It Can be a good way to let players decide.

1 Like

There is no harm done I understand where you coming from we are all passionate and want the best for this game, but I think an toggle on/off option to show the in game score would be a good idea for both ranked and custom matches.

Why remove choices from the players? Now how Relic feels about this is a whole other question so we just have to wait and see I guess. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I can be wrong. But I think that players that does not want score just dont know how it feels good to have it like a compass or power numbers in dragon ball.

And at the end if players that activate the score are the minority, I will admit that I was wrong. But I truly think that once you started to play with score you just cant play whithout it specialy in team games and FFA.

I Hope Relic will think about it

1 Like

Hello,

I am a casual and I have to admit you bring a lot of interesting points that I did not consider first.
I am in favor of having the score too.

I found it often to be a good compass when I try to know if I am doing well or if I fall behind : you have to do your own review and the score only tells you if you are kind of right or completely dreaming. It helps in reassuring me in my decision or making me more careful as to what will be my next move.

Do not forget all the players get the score so it is quite fair. You can also rely on the passing of the ages that is anounced ; reading the market prices to get information about what the other players are buying or selling from the comfort of your base.

Learning to read these little indicators give a lot of depth to the game and it feels good learning about the subtleties of the game.

1 Like

There is no good reason to add score back into the game. If you just want it because it feels good to have it then you should learn to play without score. At no point should you know whether you are standing better or worse than your enemy just by looking at some numbers. I am happy that this feature is gone because having score as a visual certainly changes the way that you approach the game (in my opinion negatively).

18 Likes

Why ? I’m not trying to be difficult, I just don’t understand why you shouldn’t know ?

My main argument for it is that if I’m so far behind that the probability of a comeback is slim to none I’d rather just tap out and move onto the next game than waste any more time on a game I’ve already lost. I don’t want the game to waste my time unnecessarily.

1 Like

But do you really need the score to do that? I mean usually you can tell pretty well when a game is lost even without looking at a score.

3 Likes

I would personally argue yes …

Theres been quite a few games in aoe2 where I’ve felt like I’m doing “ok” but then looked at the score to realise how far I am truly behind. Likewise theres been times where I’ve felt I’ve miles behind and might as well give up only to look and see how close the score is which has encouraged me to carry on playing to see it out.

I mean sure most of the time you can get a feeling of how you are doing but the score enables you to confirm your suspicion and enables you to either give up on games that are futile or carry on with games that are actually close.

5 Likes

But this is what I don’t really get the game can still be fun because you don’t know that you are far behind. I might become less fun once you are able to see the score because then you might just give up.
On the other hand yes you might give up games that are actually close because you don’t know that they are close but that is also just part of the game. Why should you know that the game is close eventhough you feel like you are losing? It doesn’t make sense to me.

It feels like that is just a system that you got used to and now you don’t want it to change. Instead of just accepting that AoE4 does it differently and learning how to play without a score.

2 Likes

I already learned how to play, as I said, I have 150 hours+ in age4, I played the best players of the ladder. Went in quarter finals in the first tournament, I did a good first build order in youtube for beginners.

You are telling me to learn what? It’s because I know exacteley the game how is he going whithout score, that’s why I want it back for age4, like age1, age2 and age3.

There is one information that score can gives : Landmarks, they can remove it from score. And that’s it. Everyone is happy.

It’s not ABOUT ME, I have a success aoe2 streaming, I can stay there after 3 months of age4. But I liked the game more than I expected, and I want more than 2 months of hype. And score is extremely important for the reason I listed in the first post.

Of course there is other features that the game needs, like Hotkey’s etc…, but I cant fight everywhere. I will try my best to explain score to everyone.

2 Likes

My main argument is about respecting player time. And I guess this is potentially subjective but I don’t want to waste my time on seeing out a match that has already been decided. Likewise I don’t want to give up on a close game prematurely which would be a good / fun use of my time. Having the score allows me to make a more informed decision on what I’m spending my time on.

To be honest I must stress that I see this as a minor issue compared to a lot of the other problems with the game and I don’t really mind either way if it’s there or not; but given the choice I would prefer it to be there.

3 Likes

Making an informed decision on score?

Watching vipey winning matches with 3K points in score behind … well …

Other RTS work plenty damn good without score system. CoH and SC2 as known examples.
Just dont be lazy and use ur scout to see where ur enemy is and what he is doing, it is not that difficult.

If you feel the game is already decided than just gg out of it. Nobody is forcing you to play something out.
Reading the intel you see, knowing what is happening, and also knowing if you are behind or not are skills which imho is a part of player skill.

Only thing i want is having the player names and player numbers + current age and civ in the bottom right corner to actually not have to open the player tab to get an overview in a team game …

6 Likes

Score does not gives you informations about what your opponent is doing. Seeing Viper winning with less score is entertaining, his viewers are like WTF, withtout the score they coudnlt understand the game. in 2021 we build a game for players, and also viewers. Score does not affect strategies, but it’s important for viewers like you said, for Viper game. Score is not a reliable information. That’s why it has not impact about strategies.

“Learn how to scout”, so for you aoe2 players are not using their scout to explore? Did you really watch Viper playing?

The grand final HC3, Viper vs Hera, Viper used his scout from second one to the latest fight that decided the game. Hera was walled, and because of the scout Viper decided to not stay in his base. It was to risky.

The score give zero informations about exploration, it’s not about that. When you say “Learn how to scout” that means that you dont know what you are talking about, age4, there is no scout learning, it"s the most easiest thing to do.

2 Likes

Of course you can. It’s called making a boat.
Most RTS games manage just fine without telling you what the score of the other player is. It’s an archaic hold-out for AOE II only at this point.

1 Like

u rewarded with “age” of opponent, castle age/imp age.
why “age” is good, but score is bad?

1 Like

So you will paid a boat ? Did you see price of boat in age4? XD

So I will stop making fish the first minute when it’s the most important, to paid for a boat :joy: ? Better to resign instantely

Do you understand what you are saying?

In a competitive game, you have to prod fish non stop. They are op, otherwise you are instantely behind.

We can remove Landmarks from score, it’s NOT ABOUT THAT. People that want score, does not want to use it as an exploration tools. But as a thermometer

For me, the score doesn’t tell very well what happens in game. I saw the post-game and the score was messed. If they enable this ingame, it would give wrong affirmations

4 Likes

And non of them are as popular as aoe2. Oh… if u reference “most RTS” as only sc2. Than sc2 has other mechanics to scout, scan flying units. Also sc2 are mostly game of tactics not strategies. (like arena on aoe2, where ppl learn every possible build).
I so hate that “random” comparison with “some other” RTS.

PS arena would be ded, any random cheese strat would ruin arena gameplay.
20 elephantos to destroy opponent - easy. How to scout? u cant. Just gamble.