Search Radius is capped at LoSx2 [Edit]

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

• GAME BUILD #: 101.101.51737.0 7126076
  • GAME PLATFORM: any
  • OPERATING SYSTEM: any

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

As the title says, the Search Radius of units (maybe buildings too) is for some reason capped at the value of LoS times 2. I tested this in the Scenario Editor with a few modded crossbowmen, shooting at militias from different distances (image), and from 12 tiles + the crossbowmen wouldn’t fire at them anymore, despite having enough range and a high enough Search Radius.
Relevant crossbowmen stats:
-Range: 25
-LoS: 6
-Search Radius: 27

I just recently tested this again after having increased the Crossbowmen’s range from 6 to 7, and after that the first Crossbowman also automatically fires at his militia.
My plan is to give archers high range, but low LoS so the enemy has to be scouted by other units first. Not only does this make the game a bit more realistic, but it also prevents archer-only army compositions. Now I can’t really do that because I always have to give the archer the LoS of
[Range + 2 = Search Radius] / 2 (+2 for Search Radius so they also notice units out of their range).
But this will work for now. The real problem isn’t noticable up to a range of 41(/39). Since the maximum effective LoS is 20, the maximum effective Search Radius is 40. This is really bad for Trebuchets, which I want to give a range of either something a little above 40 or 60.

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

• 100% of the time / matches I play (ALWAYS)

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

Here’s the steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Mod crossbowmen or basically any other ranged unit to have the same stats I provided.
  2. Set up an arena of some sorts where you can observe the Search Radius for yourself.

:arrow_forward: EXPECTED RESULT

Ranged unit automatically seeks to fire at any unit within both LoS and Search Radius.

:arrow_forward: IMAGE

1 Like