Seriously? 6 months for this?

A gameloop can be enjoyable at its’ core while the game can still be buggy or barebones.

Only cause the civ concepts are great, doesn’t mean that the client isn’t buggy like crazy.
Only cause the counter system and gameflow with assymmetry in civs is good, doesn’t mean that controls aren’t a big mess.

Only cause the playernumber are twice as many as AoE2:DE right now, doesn’t mean that AoE4 has more features/is less buggy than the competitor.
It just means that there is a demand for new RTS/AoE games.

Those things can exist at the same time…
Simple patrol/unit stances was done in 1999 games and is classic basic control layout in RTS games since.
Having them missing makes the game more incomplete than it is already (lack of gamemodes/mod support/ranked with greyed out menu keys and profile information still makes it look like a beta).

5 Likes

There’s also a general consensus that many lifelong diehard age fans do not enjoy AoE4 and do not play it. General consensuses are difficult things to pin down. They are everywhere and nowhere and they depend on who you ask. Most people who self-select to play a game or join its forum are disproportionately from the group of humans who enjoy the game. :smiley:

6 Likes

I agree. The first patch took more than two weeks to roll out, and only some trivial bugs were fixed. During this period, the developers did not make any news about the update, which makes people feel that even the first This patch was reluctantly released because of the pressure on the forum.They did not want to improve the game.

The future roadmap feels like it has been under too much pressure to make it reluctantly. This negative mentality makes players afraid, afraid that developers will abandon the game because they have made money. I hope to see developers more actively respond to the game in the future Update, make this game perfect, not ruin it.

3 Likes

Zoom is not bad. May be need a little tweak. Hotkey, player colour, balance changes and graphics changes are my list.

1 Like

lmao I really don’t get what people get out of saying things like “it’s good enough already!”

don’t we all want age 4 to be the best game it can be and revive the RTS genre??
you either 1) let the devs know what kind of features we need added and expect in the game
or 2) dont say anything
commenting on the forums “actually I don’t want this additional option that a lot of other people want” does literally nothing to help the game

Not to mention, it should literally take less than a day of work by a single dev to implement the OPTION to zoom out more. In fact players were able to do it in the console with commands in the closed beta, so it’s literally a matter of changing a value.

please stop accepting mediocrity, for the sake of the success of the game.

6 Likes

For sure! This is why I only focused on the general success of the game itself, by the only metrics we have to go on. Anything else gets into increasingly speculative territory - at least on any measure of consensus, like you said.

Though slight disagreement on the self-selection. I’d argue its people who are passionate about the game or franchise. Not necessarily about the specific game. I saw this with the Dawn of War community too, over the years. Anecdotally of course :sweat_smile:

The camera panning issue wasn’t trivial.

1 Like

Did you even read the blog or just want to be the drama queen? There are a ton of things they mentioned. Patrol command is just a part of it. Hotkey changes are also something they are looking at. Zoom is something they never agreed to add anyways so stop crying about already. It’s not a priority and most people are getting used to it.
And also go watch the post-launch stream, they talk about a lot of other things they are looking at. They also mention why it takes time. I think they talked about most of the pain points and I was satisfied by their responses.

3 Likes

The thing is we all understand that there are things that needs to be addressed to make this game even better than what it is currently, but we now have a road map and they have communicated with us also had a live stream were they talked more in depth regarding the road map and other stuff as well that isn’t included in it such as working on giving us the option to change colors and random civilizations.

Even though with the issues this game has it’s very much playable and smooth experience, especially the launch was really well done. All of this are signs that the developers knows what they are doing and I think it’s safe to say that the game is in good hands. We can be disappointed that we have to wait a certain time to get specific things we want personally to see addressed but this is all subjective opinions mostly, and it’s impossible for them to please everyone’s opinions on what should be fixed first.

Let’s keep providing them with our feedback, and they are listening to us so it’s only a question of when we will see it implemented. This should be enough to have faith in them that they can do it. Now perhaps in a few months I’ll eat my words on this if they should fail to deliver, that’s also possible but as of right now I can’t see anything that says otherwise so until I do I’m going to be optimistic with this game as despite its issues it’s a very solid game.

4 Likes

Hm it’s funny , people complained about the small patch because it didn’t contain anything and then they post this to show to their community what they will add and them they complain lol , half of this community is brain dead seriously.

They at least are adding it , we didn’t new this was coming , what did you expect a patch that contained all of the things the game would come with ? No.

They are also making things on the way , making ugc tools , editor and more , they can’t put all of their resources on making a single patch.

Don’t complain that it is sparse , at least they are adding things we weren’t sure if they were going to add , you are just mad at life bro! Don’t be mad at things you don’t need to be mad. Be happy like we are! Also seems like you didn’t watch the stream , they are gonna add a lot of things and balances changes , the meta will change drastically , patrol movement is really important in the feudal age when exploring , you could have a really small army leaded by an army

Zoom is fine by now and the general community like it (except a small percentage of people)

5 Likes

Until they charge you for it. AoE 4 was not priced like a AAA Title … oh wait it was :rofl:.

@RadiatingBlade edit: Please stay on topic. If you have concerns about moderator actions please message @moderators.

1 Like

we are basically paying for a AAA title to beta test it.

4 Likes

It was a AAA game and we got what we wanted , now they are adding things they can’t add in time , You don’t know how Microsoft push their employees to follow the game release date , they obviously would delay the game if they didn’t had time to finish it .

@RadiatingBlade edit: Please stay on topic.

2 Likes

Because everyone who doesn’t like it has stopped playing the game now? I guess I’d better join them then. It’s not on the roadmap, so unless they add it, I’ll assume they agree with you, and I won’t bother with the game any more. It had over 3x the player numbers of AoE II DE, now it’s down to not even having 2x.

I don’t understand why anyone would be against being able to zoom out more. It would be an option, anybody who is fine with the current zoom could continue to play at that zoom. All you do by insisting people don’t want to zoom out more is throw away player numbers.

4 Likes

Player feedback doesn’t matter for the most part. And a lot of people that are against it- can’t come up with reasonable, cohesive arguments anyway.

Before release I’d say it’s mostly (bad) creative decision on the Dev side. After release, looking at performance hiccups and other engine-related bumps on the road and know issues I am fairly certain game performance is a deciding factor in limiting zoom range the way it’s limited now.

Zoom always has been that - you manually increase it in vanilla AoE III and even on strongest CPUs, 16years later game will stutter. It’s just not designed and optimized to work that way.

And I would even could say ‘fine’ if the game had something to show for it. And when it comes to technology (and a lot of visuals in general) there’s nothing impressive about IV, as a AAA game released in the year of our Lord 2021. We’re not working with complex structure destruction systems, great physics, dynamic terrain terraformation on a light level (formation of bomb craters/ dynamic mud generation due to the dynamic and impressive weather system, impacting unit movement etc), advanced water engine, or anything.

Game can look picturesque, terrain looks pretty nice, the season map modifier is certainly an interesting idea, but when it comes to tech- it’s just not impressive enough to justify that.

I’m sure this would be unpopular, but if this engine can’t make it, I’d rather see the max player number reduced to 6 if the general presentation could be elevated one level. Due to the nature of ingame camera, structure scale, how recruitment works etc. games with max players sometimes end up being a tiresome mess in a way AoE2/3 weren’t, not to this extent.

3 Likes

I don’t know why either. I’m among the group that’s fine with it, but I have absolutely no reason to actively dismiss the ability to zoom out more. Like you said, it could just be an option. Either way I don’t care all that much, but I know there are people that do.

People (on both sides) are also saying the ‘majority’ or ‘consensus’ when we have no statistics to even reference. If people care that much to use those words, why doesn’t someone at least make a poll?

5 Likes

I’m not against the developers extending the zoom, I mainly respond to people going “I can’t believe there’s a single reason why they couldn’t”. There are always reasons. It’s on Relic to balance what the players want against the resources they have, bearing these reasons in mind.

I did make a poll sometime before launch.

Then again, this only represents a small population of even this forum.
But 285 responses isn’t that bad either.

Plus the questions might have ruined the quality of the poll question.

5 Likes

“I like blue, so they should not add color choices.”

3 Likes

Ah yes, a very real thing that a real person has said, and definitely not a strawman.

2 Likes

I said it. I am a real person, and that’s a very valid comparison.

More zooming is not requested by everyone.
Implementing more zooming takes time.
More zooming is not a top priority and they should focus on more important stuff.
You do not know what the developers consider as top priority, but as they have not added more zooming, that’s definitely not of top priority.

By the exact same logic:
Color selection is not requested by everyone.
Implementing color selection takes time.
Color selection is not a top priority and they should focus on more important stuff.
You do not know what the developers consider as top priority, but as they have not added color selection yet, that’s definitely not of top priority.

1 Like