Serjeant shouldn't automatically upgrade in Castle Age

Also Eagle scouts gain +3 attack in castle age, just to add to the list.

1 Like

how many times we need to tell people this videos are a pile of garbage and mean nothing to recommended unit usage… pikes would never be used, teutonic knights are like the best unit in the game according to those stupid vids

if you go sic champs vs enemy champs you will lose(the only exception is malians), they will beat you with eco and/or military bonuses.

you can use heavy scorpions or arbs (unless they’re malians then use your own champs or even serjeants) or even heavy cav, and then use your own serjeants to slow the enemy from reaching your arbs/scorps. then their high armour will actually be even more useful, as they just need to hold the enemy and/or get them to bunch up to maximise scorp damage

this is incorrect, huskarls lack the final armour upgrade, so serjeants are only 2PA behind them, i dont know why people keep forgetting the champskarl already exists. instead of making comparisons to huskarls, make comparisons to the unit they actually compare the most to… the malian champskarl

very few infantry are meant for raiding, their lack of speed makes almost every infantry not meant for raiding but rather a concentrated and or persistent push since you can rarely withdraw. the high melee and pierce armour actually means serjeants can ignore a lot more incoming attacks so they can maintain their very decent attacks on buildings (vs the champ line for example)

they are literally a jack of all trades: a battering ram, counter archer, counter trash, unstoppable repair/builder, they are worth their price. for the same gold they are doing more than double the dps to buildings than a FU paladin does.

so only the longsword and champ tech would apply? otherwise what would the first serjeant look like?

either make it cost nothing if it needs a castle, or allow it from a donjon if it costs anything

3 Likes

Thank you, Phoenix. This is exactly the kind of intel I enjoy in these forums, and is the reason I post.

You’re right. Better players often choose civs with economy bonuses so that they don’t get outmassed. Additionally, they mix in some rear military composition, such as scorps, arbs, or even monks. And, unlike the head-to-head videos, they use micro and mobility rather than brute force mobs.

3 Likes

First of all I think devs will nerf First Crusade, the 50 Serjeants thing is fun to play but insane.

The unit itself is not far from balance, the auto-upgrade is helping them but not game breaking. You can see it as a Bulgarians free Militia-Line upgrades bonus type.

I would just reduce their auto +2/+1, like +1/+1, to mark their weakness against LS or Knights a bit more.

Some adjustements ideas :

Serjeant :

-1 MA in Castle age (for a 6/8 full upgrade)
Increase their training time by 6s (20 to 26s from Donjons)
-5g cost (for a 60F 30G)

First crusade :

Each TC, up to 5, spawns a one-time group of 5 Serjeants (pop. space is needed to research the tech)
Serjeant creation time is 33% faster
To give it some long term effect, like Burgandians Vineyards with the slow gold generation. The timing research will matter more.