Settlers, courer-de-bois, and native scouts, on European maps

I have been saying it all along, European maps don’t belong in AoE3…

Please don 't touch the CdB, it’s the only thing in the game that still fit the colonial theme.

1 Like

The colonial American theme, which have already been discarded by TAD back in 2007.

I do not think the colonial theme is anything special or a big selling point. “Hey bro let me recommend you a game about the entire early modern world where all other nations are themselves but Europeans are represented as American colonies”.

1 Like

I have to remind you that TAD was not developed by ES, but by Big Huge Games. A last move to add three very different civs, without too much care about the overall homogeneity of the game (because the support was over).

The conquest/colonisation of the America, the colonial wars and the successor republics is a very intresting themes (to my eyes). That’s why I bought the game at is release in 2005.

1 Like

I agree somewhat. The “Native Scout” could simply be re-voiced and re-textured for different map types, like the Trading Posts are.

But Ceurer de Boi NEVER made any sense. They were illegal poachers, they shouldn’t be the default economic unit of your settlement on any map.

It’s very interesting indeed but would be better if the game is not limited to that one theme. I see no benefit of that. What other expansions to add after TWC if you still constrain the game to the colonial American theme?
You can still play American colonial history now. Just choose American maps.

And considering that TAD already happened, 15 years ago, that theme is in effect discarded, despite why TAD happened.

1 Like

I accept that the game is changing and shifting back from its initial theme. But things such as CdB, which are in the game since the start and one of the only distinctive traits of the french canno’t be changed (in my opinion).

You can call them coureur des bois, voyageur (travalers) it’s the same things at the end. Someone with wilerness survival skill who trade with natives to fuel the fur trade. In 1680, it is estimated that 40% of the adult male population of New-France were CdB. It makes perfect sense in an american colonial context.

2 Likes

I didn’t mean to remove them completely. I’m talking about giving them a aesthetic variant depending on the map, along with native scouts, just like trade posts.

1 Like

The question is how to change them to make sense but without changing the gameplay.
They are the most unique thing France has.

A simple reskin and/or rename will do…just like how trade posts are different on different maps.

1 Like