Should charging units have an indicator?

Any game using: “stop - attack animation - go”, which does not use it?

Sometimes(or even often) animation should be smoother and faster.
But how u can remove it? And be RTS with responsive units.

2 Likes

Relic’s own CoH has both tanks and foot soldiers (among others) fire while moving. Only specific units which need to deploy (mortars, machine guns) are forced to stop to attack.
The super old Battle for Middle Earth games also come to mind. In those games even melee infantry can attack while chasing retreating units without stopping.

I’m sure there are a ton more but those are the two that I can recall right now.

2 Likes

Dawn of War 1 and 2 from Relic both have units with chase attack and fire on the move capability, plus active abilities.

1 Like

The more I think about it, the more I come to the conclusion that devs really didn’t put too much thought into it.

There’s just no “bigger picture” behind this game’s design and a lot of things just fall apart and don’t make too much sense after better examination.

They “streamlined” the game by hiding multiple important game mechanics just to confuse the player who’s higher than 500 ELO and actually tries to understand how the game works.

Same goes to melee/range auto switch.

You can clearly see that person behind this game is a Command & Conquer guy. All dead games and none really competetive btw.

2 Likes

Call of Duty never gave the player a sprint bar but you get a sense of when you can sprint pretty quickly. With how much crap they have to fit on the UI already I don’t think a sprint bar for your spearmen is really needed.

Also with Knights their lances disappear after they charge and replenish when they can charge again.

2 Likes

Yeah man… they should add audible breathing sounds for all units so we can distinguish which of our 120 units is able to sprint and which isn’t.

I think your arcade FPP shooter isn’t a good example.

Okay you don’t know what you’re talking about.

The “audible breathing” is used to indicate when your character is low on health and when their health starts regenerating.

Nah, bruh. You are just giving the most ridiculous examples from totally different genre where you focus on a single character instead of multiple groups of units controllable at the same time.

So you want to read the stamina bars of 50 units at a time instead of using your natural ability to tell a rhythm?

@EricGonzalezM I completely agree with your posts. I was very excited in the previews to see charging cavalry (the video cuts out to the title of the game right before they clash for dramatic effect), and thought Relic would implement some of its creative tactical elements from their other games to Age, more like charge-through mechanic from cavalry from Battle for Middle Earth as you mentioned.

Having individual units rather than squads and lack of ragdoll physics might make the charge-through mechanic difficult, if not impossible, implement. I guess we should be glad there is a charge mechanic at all?

That’s my sentiment. Given the clear lack of inspiration when developing this game, I will take whatever there is as a plus.

My impression is a little different. I feel they’ve put a lot of attention to detail in the game, but applied it in the wrong direction: trying to make everything as simple as possible, hiding any faint sign of complexity, for the player that may say “300gold/second??? wtf is that? this must be a math game. nope, that’s not for me!”. Hiding mechanics, removing micro, lowering the bar, making everything as lean as possible, and basically making most pro players feel they’re playing a game that’s 2 standard deviations below their skill level.

3 Likes