Should Elephants cost more than 1 population space?

More simple, impossible…
I would add nerf the training time to equal Kt’s TT or a couple of secs more

I think the low ## ## kinda attempted tweak to make them more usable in the midgame.
Doesn’t seem to work but idk where the state of eles in the midgame would be with a longer training time.

1 Like

Elephants are slow units. They are easy to die vs halberdiers. I think they are fine. The only problem Khmer ballista elephants. If you have 50 of them. You can easly dominate the game. They are slow but so good to kill. Easy to resist bombard cannons (not like scorpions). Ballista elepants > All elephants in the game.

Those are the problems, and, when combined with their high cost, makes them not fine. They need to be made more viable for 1v1s, not TGs.

2 Likes

I think Elephants should cost 1.5 population space and should have their cost tweaked. If they cost 2 population space they are not population effective vs paladin in late game. If they stay at 1 population they will always be overly population effective in team games, and without a cost tweak they will be underused in 1v1s.

Elephant should count as 2 garrison slots in transport ship and castle but not pop space

4 Likes

What would be the logic?

1 Like

Aoe logic. Use a sword to set up fire and use a hammer to put out fire lol

1 Like

I mean, the gameplay logic…

Team game favors a lot for pop-efficient unit. While elephants are too expensive for 1v1, they are extremely pop-efficient units and work well in team game. So at least they should shrine in team games.

As for transport capacity/ garrison slots, I just pretended to agree with the title to certain extent.

the system works as rock paper scissors.
Stables
Hussars :
damage +
hp +
armour+
weakness vs halberdier —

Knights:
damage ++
hp ++
armour++
weakness vs halberdier –

Elephants
damage ++
hp +++
armour++
weakness vs halberdier ----

i think this make sense. I dont see any issue for stable elephants.

Then what about cavalry camels and chariots?

The issue is that proportionally Eles take more damage from halbs adn can’t run away from them.
Knights and Light cav can do it.

4 Likes

Yes this is the exact reason why elephant need to be move faster or remove cav armor class so that it can be a bit better againist hal

They need a weakness. All you have to do mix in some other units to defend them from counters.

1 Like

so if they dont get the base speed increase, then devs can add the “mahouts” tech to stables +10% or whatever it is, and divide it amongst certain civs (like khmer wont get it) (and dravidians can get it)

we already addressed this, their weakness is rats. you train them from the granary, i mean mill

some civs, can train pigs instead, that will be a regional UU, flaming pig (trust me, its real, unbelievably)

1 Like

I think mahouts can be the second upgrade of Husbandry. Like Masonry and Architecture.

Flaming pig and Flaming cow will counter both knight camel and elephant and maybe Scorpion. So just make rat to counter elephant would be better and ofc rats will be countered by Eagle and maybe Jaguar

2 Likes

Leave war elephants as a team game only unit, please. I don’t want my elephant spam gone!

Adding additional pop space to elephants nerfs them massively. They would need to have over 1000 HP to be useful. Like Age of empires 4.

And possibly automatically regenerate and do double the damage. When I employ elephants I want them to feel like mumakil from the lord of the rings.

Elephants don’t need any change, they are fine as they are.

1 Like

I full heartily agree. Increasing their pop space sounds like a ridiculous change to me.

1 Like