Should there be some new architecture in DE?

When it comes to architecture, this is how the Civs are represented in AoE:
(Have in mind I’m no expert in ancient architecture)

East Asian: Yamato - Shang - Choson
Central Asian: Babylonians - Persians - Hittite
Middle Eastern: Egyptians - Assyrians - Sumerians
Mediterranean: Greeks - Minoans - Phoenicians
Roman: Romans - Macedonians - Carthaginians - Palmyrans

In my opinion, I think some changes wouldn’t hurt the feel of the game, especially when it comes to the “Roman” factions (I am pretty sure the Carthaginians don’t appreciate the Roman architecture…).
My changes would be as follow: Macedonians would use Mediterranean architecture and the Carthaginians and the Phoenicians would get a new architecture altogether “Punic architecture” or something more suitable.

What do you think? Would this hurt the classic feel of the game far to much?

Nice idea, but suspect it might be a bit late in the day if they are close to beta. The original had mods that changed how the building sets looked on your pc so perhaps it might be a community change

If mods are allowed, then it would be easy to swap around architecture, however, making a completely new one (let alone for just one civ) will be harder - devs probably don’t want to do that, most things are going to be kept the way they are to an extent.

It would be nice to have the most efficient architectures according to the historical context. I remember seeing some developer in an interview talking about research done to improve the historical polish, but at the same time did not change the heart of the game, if I am not mistaken was the art director. I do not know if this would fit into this question because it was not a very specialized question so it could cover a more general approach.

But a good question, I can not wait to know more about this game, I’m so into HYPE!

I think Buildings need to be a bit Bigger to match unit Sizes, or maybe units a little bit smaller, just like AOE2 dimensions. its kind of dumb a horse is bigger than a house

@Penelinfi said:
If mods are allowed, then it would be easy to swap around architecture, however, making a completely new one (let alone for just one civ) will be harder - devs probably don’t want to do that, most things are going to be kept the way they are to an extent.

I doubt mods will be allowed due to it being in the windows store only, and not on steam, they already confirmed this, so mods i dont think will happen sadly, unlike AoE II HD.

@Torgrimmer said:

@Penelinfi said:

I doubt mods will be allowed due to it being in the windows store only, and not on steam, they already confirmed this, so mods i dont think will happen sadly, unlike AoE II HD.

There were mods for the original AoE1 and I don’t think they would remove that possibility from DE. You don’t need Steam workshop to be able to mod a game.

They should make Sumerians have the Mesopotamian architecture style and the Hittites have the Egyptian/West Asia architecture style.

It’s weird that in the original Age of Empires, the very people who created the ziggurats–build pyramids rather than ziggurats as wonders.

That fix alone would make me happy with the architecture in Age of Empires: DE.

Then again, it might also be nice if Gaia architecture wasn’t automatically Asian, but customizable to whichever architecture style you ask for in the scenario editor (like Age of Empires II’s scenario editor).

This is actually a though decision. It would certainly be nice if the architecture would lean more to the specific civilization, but on the other hand it would change too much and AOEDE would loose the feeling of the original one.

The game don’t pretending be accurated.

@Otani64 said:
This is actually a though decision. It would certainly be nice if the architecture would lean more to the specific civilization, but on the other hand it would change too much and AOEDE would loose the feeling of the original one.

I don’t think it would affect the “feel” too much, I mean, the original architectures will still be there. Remember we have 4 factions using Roman architecture and 1 of them (Carthage) are the mortal enemies of Rome. I think DE is the perfect opportunity to do justice to Carthage by adding some flavour to their faction, also the Phoenicians being their predecessors have a perfect excuse to share this new architecture with them.

mythdracon also gave another idea in this discussion, adding faction specific wonders (maybe without even changing the architecture). Really now that I think about it Sumerians building pyramids and Carthaginians building colosseums sounds really silly…