Siege engine crew, workhorses

butttt they have golden ghost crew lol

1 Like

Cause they wanted to copy Age of Empires 2 too much.

Then you are holding the series back.

2 Likes

adding human would bring more questionable stuff
 like why not just kill the human to disable the siege machine

3 Likes

Why questionable though? Those things existed in the genre for years. And yes, they did introduce some new things in AoE4 but in reality most of them already existed in the genre, it was AoE that had stayed too far behind all these years that make some of these things now feel fresh like the new walls.

Check this out, a historical based RTS by some russian developer back in 2007. The setting is the ancient times and had extended siege gameplay as aoe4 is now advertised.

You could man all the engines by selecting their crew one by one:

Siege Towers (just now introduced in AoE4)

550x440

Man the ships, and be able to board and capture enemy ships

Man your chariots

Even man your elephants:

Soldiers on walls (just introduced in AoE) and even scales to climb on them.

LOTS of Blood despite that the game was Pegi 12+. And some really interesting physics especially with rocks falling onto soldiers, soldiers falling on the ground, chariots kicking soldiers away and more.

Top notch graphics and great animations for its time. Thats 2007. By a publisher and dev that could never compete Microsoft’s resources. You could even customize your soldiers by selecting their weapons or gather enemy weapons from dead corpses in the battlefield but I won’t post more photos.

I know that there was no competitive scene there and I am not saying of course that AoE4 should be like that as it had other kind of issues and that was indeed a too graphics heavy game for its time, but how come it looks far better than 2021’s aoe4 and had all of those things that so many people ask today and they are not delivered for some very weird reason.

Good Graphics
Good Animations
Interesting mechanics.
Blood
Good proportions
Crews

17 Likes

It has all these features and I still never heard about it or played it.

I think AoE4 should implement crews for siegeweapons. But other than CoH they should be just a visual asset.
I understand that CoH has a really cool feature killing the crew and capturing the equipment. But CoH needs the same apm to be competetive but you field 10-15 Units and not 100! So there is a big difference on how much time you have to micromanage a individual unit. And I don’t think that feature with benefit AoE4. As Archers would be again a really strong option against Siege. Something we already saw in AoE2 shouldn’t be the case.

But the Graphics and Animations need to be good. Without looking janky or feeling out of place when you do a 180° with your mangonal (considering this is still possible in AoE4)
I think the Siegeweaponanimations of Stronghold Crusader would fit quite well.

1 Like

That depends if you are just wanting it as a cosmetic or for the people operating it to be killed independently of the seige engine etc. If it’s just cosmetic it’s not holding the series back. I just think they look better without people pushing them.

They can’t be serious with these ground textures

I the game running o low settings in this picture?

7 Likes

“It has all these features and I still never heard about it or played it.”

The answer is marketing. MS has the money to do it.

Indie devs struggle with it.

You can make a pretty solid game, if you don’t have the money to market it properly, well
 Good luck with that.

1 Like

yet still everyone knows about AOE and not this game
 thats the difference

The people behind Among Us aren’t a very big company(poor marketing, I don’t think I’ve ever seen an Among Us ad)yet that skyrocketed, because the gameplay was so good and fun that a bunch of youtubers played it, spreading it. Now I will admit that rts is a dying industry but there are still rts youtubers out there, if you play rts and it was good then it should’ve been known in the rts community

You mean people are more aware of a billion dollar industry’s game compare to a small studio? At least other games were providing innovations even if they weren’t as largely recognized. This is 2021, there should be no excuse as to why you’re not able to program crew members on siege weapons; that’s literally your job as a game designer and a programmer to come up with a solution.

The team should try to build onto the legacy that Ensemble Studio lefts behind, not trying to replicate their game on a 1:1 without innovating anything new to the gameplay. (Yes I am aware that they’ve included several new gameplay mechanics such as bracing against cavalry charge, and ambushing from the treelines, but come on, still no siege crews?)

7 Likes

Does it have anything to do with the mobile market being hundreds of times bigger than the RTS market?

Do youtubers who play on PC generally play on their phones when the game is on steam?

edit: it has a peak of 440k players just on steam, that has nothing to do with mobile market

You can’t dismiss the popularity that ALSO releasing on mobile brought.

There is a possibility that it wouldn’t be a big hit with just a steam release. Marketing and popularity usualy have exponential growth.

But I’m getting off topic, sorry.

It became popular because youtubers showed it cause they liked it, not because it was a mobile game. It was barely known until youtube brought it into the light.
If I was microsoft I would push the game deadline back a year to fix things that some of the community is upset about, if they want to revive the franchise with this game. If it flops(good luck bringing it back then) and if it sails than we get a whole new surge of Age players

Regardless, you’re missing the point.

If some indie could do it years ago with that technology, Relic can do it now.

1 Like

It’s not about what Relic can do, we all know their potential, it’s what microsoft is telling them to do

That’s speculation, but still very possible.

I wouldn’t be the least surprised if that was the case.

1 Like

The siege weapons look unrealistic and awkward to me without operators.

8 Likes

Do you know what that game is called?

I think I used to have it. Or played a very similar version of it, but I do not remember all the features

I didn’t play it much because it was a lil too complex and customizable
 took a lot of time to load up the elephants and horses (I think you could even capture horses or had to train men to then get a horse at the stable) but that sea war fare looks soooo cool
 thats what I want out of a modern RTS
 big ships with boarding and other tactics

3 Likes