Simple Abus Rework

That is not what I meant. I didn’t explained it because I feel it is weird for me to reply to someone’s balance idea and having to give more details than the OP himself.

I think double damage and double hp is worth more than double population and double cost. This is because double hp make them tank better against counter and virtually provides double the production speed. Double the hp also means that the damage output does not “drop to half” when the unit get only half speed.
The only drawback is in “medium microed” skirmishes, where the enemy one shot your units one by one, as he would have a lot of overkill against regular skirms.

Jaegers are basically double skirms with +10 hp (250 hp), +10% pierce armor and +1 speed. 200g is similar to 100f/130g due to gather rates. Yeah these boni are very good; speed helps for kitting; pierce armor and hp helps in skirm wars, but I still see the Jaeger as similar to a double skirms, as being a merceary comes with drawback (upgrade, weakness to spy-like units).

For this reason I see a double skirm much more like a Jaeger than a Dutch skirm.

I agree with that.

I meant here that I do not see a problem asking for an increase of the multiplicator of abus against light cav. I do not know how well it goes with the “actual civ balance”, but for me it would be a fair buff.

If you think it is fine if abus are underwhelming as long as they can do their job, then we are on an agreement.

Sorry about that, I edited the message right after posting it, as I was being a little emotional while posting. Didn’t think you would reply on the non-edited message.

It is not what I meant. I just think that aoe3 is a very complex game and at this point it is very hard to know how to balance things, as everything has so many implication. So it would be easier for devs to say “abus are a little weak against light cav, let’s buff that a little bit”, than “let’s redo the whole unit and hope we do not oversee any big implication on any matchup”.
I think that devs of aoe3 do a great job at balancing the game and offering content (even though some of their design ideas bring a lot of polemic such as for mexicans and hausas), but I do not think they have the time to make a complete analysis for every single balance change. They use PUP for that.

Nice ! Thank you for the link, I didnt follow there is a new tournament ! And this time Mitoe is participating.

I was refering to this tournament, where Ottomans got 10 wins out of 12 games:

For the current tournament, I notices Ottomans in one mirror match up, one loss against Lakotas, and one loss against Haudenosaunee. I feel at this state there is still nothing to worry about. Especially as Lakotas got bow riders in age 2 that are very good against Ottomans.

didn’t have time to watch the games, but I will surely watch a bunch of them.

These are also different changes from the double skirm idea. I do not like the idea of adding 2 units to the ottoman roster.

If Ottomans need a buff against light cavarly, I would rather think about increasing the abus gun multiplicator, and maybe give them a fortress age shadow tech.

It is still hard for me to see if Ottomans really need buffs, as some civs are known for having glaring weaknesses, like aztecs vs skirms/artillery, china against heavy cavalry, swedes/ottomans against light cav. But I currently do not see a problem with a small buff to abus against light cavalry.

I just saw this tier list video for supremacy 1v1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laOcZT-WWaU
Ottomans are highly rated, so I do not worry about them. Even though it is surprising to me to see China, Germans, and Ottomans that high. For ottomans, it is possible that they get very good rushes/trades early so that the opponent cannot transition to light cavarly well enough and janissaries are enough to deal with them.

1 Like