These details are CRITICAL; DO NOT skip them or your issue may not be reviewed.
- GAME BUILD #: 100.12.11148.0
- GAME PLATFORM: Steam
- OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Build 19042)
Game crashes without an error dialog every single time I try to start a Skirmish. Main menu works. Scenario Editor works (but playtesting from the editor causes the same crash). Same crash since October. No update has fixed it.
FREQUENCY OF ISSUE
- 100% of the time - I have never once been able to play a game of AOE3:DE and I purchased this back in October! I guess it’s one way of making sure I spend less screen time
I have put probably a good 10 hours into trying all the different suggestions to make this work. I’ve checked my specs (16GB of RAM, i5 Quad-Core 2.3gHz, GTX 960m). I’ve uninstalled and reinstalled. I’ve tried installing it on both my SSD and my HDD (both have abundant space). I’ve disabled Windows Defender, my only antivirus. I’ve updated my graphics drivers. I’ve tried AOE3:DE on both my integrated intel graphics and Nvidia GTX 960m. I’ve verified files in Steam. I’ve installed the recommended Visual C++. I’ve tried running the file directly. I don’t have another monitor connected. I’ve done it all And I’d love to be able to play, but I also recognize this seems to be a minority issue so I’m just putting it out there, again, hoping something can get fixed. Thank you devs for all the work you guys are doing! I know there’s lots to do.
- Start up the game from Steam or the .exe file
- The Main Menu appears fine, go to any single player mode (The Art of War, Skirmish, Story Mode, etc). Probably the same on multiplayer but I haven’t tried.
- Proceed through the menu and click Play/Begin/etc.
- The game freezes with the music continuing for a second before cutting out
- The game remains open a second longer in silence before crashing to the desktop without error
- Event viewer reports an error code: 0xc0000005. Visual Studio Debugger expands upon that error to say:
Unhandled exception at 0x00007FF6E757902E in AoE3DE_s.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x0000000000000000.
I submitted a support ticket about this back in October and they responded nicely but this was never fixed. I’m assuming it is an issue that affectes a minority of users because I have not seen other posts about it. But please fix this issue, or at least fix the issue in your code that is allowing an unhandled exception to fatally crash the game without creating any error dialog. Thank you guys for all your work
It was supposed to start a Skirmish.
ALWAYS attach a PICTURE (.jpg, .png, .gif) or VIDEO (.mp4, YouTube link) that highlights the problem.
As a new user I can’t upload files so here is a link to a folder including two videos showing when the game crashes. The videos cut right when my desktop would appear. I’ve also uploaded a screenshot of the crash when I ran it under the Visual Studio debugger: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiVzA_cXCdknh4MPglN9VBqMjAJHjQ?e=UEfk8v
GAME FILES (LOGS)
I’ve put the two log files from AOE3:DE and my dxdiag in the shared folder: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiVzA_cXCdknh4MPglN9VBqMjAJHjQ?e=UEfk8v
EVENT VIEWER LOG
Faulting application name: AoE3DE_s.exe, version: 100.12.11148.0, time stamp: 0x5fdc0154 Faulting module name: AoE3DE_s.exe, version: 100.12.11148.0, time stamp: 0x5fdc0154 Exception code: 0xc0000005 Fault offset: 0x0000000002a1902e Faulting process id: 0x7f0 Faulting application start time: 0x01d6e6b47be0597e Faulting application path: D:\Programs\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\AoE3DE\AoE3DE_s.exe Faulting module path: D:\Programs\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\AoE3DE\AoE3DE_s.exe Report Id: 335cde68-ce4c-415a-aecc-37087ae29ff3 Faulting package full name: Faulting package-relative application ID: