Slinger talk

There are many solutions, but at the end something has to be done to slingers , as for axers they are easily stopped by walls , they still need a shield upgrade though it will make them stronger vs slingers , and that will bring bowmen back to the game as axers counter.

It is pretty redundant to have slingers ingame anyway.

The fact that there is a rock/paper/scissors mechanic with racks>stables>archery makes the existence of slingers redundant.
Bowmen blobs will still struggle against heavy wall ins and towers.

The fact that slingers just stand above everything makes this game less dynamic than it is already.

Agree, I think they could’ve just balance tool age by nerfing bowmen by reducing their hp, reducing their attack, or removing leather armor for archers. Or they could’ve just increase hp for villagers or make them faster than bowmen or axers. They introduced slingers for marketing purposes to increase the sales for RoR, but I dont think they were needed actually. And to make the new unit viable , they just gave it too many bonuses that they overcompensated unfortunattely.

Just to intersect here, this is not how it works in tool. Bowman counters Scout, not the other way around. Basically Scouts are only good for mobility, chasing things down.

Again, isn’t this prooving my point?

There is only one certain thing that’s right and the game already gets decided at this one rack/club move while going for toolage?

1 Like

so slingers are counterable at the highest level while being a nightmare in low level, and u suggest to nerf him for the high level only? or did I get this wrong?

Again: I don’t see it beeing a problem “on higher level only”.

The fact that the argumentation is based around “you have to play this one thing to prevent it or lose (which prooves the point instead of oposing to it)” and “don’t let him get to this point”

You can argue for any kind of completely overpowered uncounterable thing in a game that way.
“Just don’t let him get there” is no arguement for the actual balance of the unit itself.

Imagine there is a free 200 army of elephants you get for free when you hit bronce age.
“Just don’t let him get there” is no argument for a balance state.
It’s completely out of proportion to the context of the rest of the game.

At this point I am more convinced in deleting the unit completely from the game for the sake of better gameplay.
It’s the non-plus ultra tool to reduce games to a “one unit one blob only” game really early on without a counter or tool in your back to buy time with.

You cannot touch them with meele, they reduce all ranged damage to 1, and roll over any kind of tower/wall in plays.
That’s pretty much countering all the mechanics there are.

PLEASE change something about them.
Take their bonus dmg against towers/walls and don’t let them get the damage increase is a start.
I personally don’t mind completely deleting the unit since it’s mechanic/usecase is pointless anyway without beeing insanely op like in this instance right now.
There are alot of good things that rise of rome added to the game and slingers just undercut everything of it and ruin the complete gameflow of every single 1v1 I play.

It’s boring to run 19/20 1v1 games per day into this lame slinger only harass.
It completely kills the competitive nature of the game and in me.

2 Likes

Bumping up the topic, since there is no official respons.

Here is a new suggestion for the devs for a more balanced tool age

Increase the hit points of slinger to 35
Reduce the pierce armor to 1
Stone mining increases the range only not the attack
Give all infantry a basic pierce armor of 1

No, it is not a good idea. Just that he has little HP is his only weak point to kill him even with villagers. Increasing the Pierce Armor of ALL infantry will bring much unbalance.

1 Like

Move stone mine upgrade from tool age to bronze age.

1 Like

How is this even a topic!? Slingers are easily countered by Axemen; just stop trying to Age rush and play the game how it was meant to be played. Axemen cost 50 food, Slingers 40 food + 10 stone, they both require (to be good) an upgrade that costs 100 food. I can almost guarantee that in equal numbers Axemen prevail.

In small numbers yes, axers win, once the slingers reach a critical mass I would say nine maybe? They become unstoppable in tool.

It’s not just axers vs slingers only, it’s about all the units in tool.

Imagine that a single upgraded slinger needs only 7 hits to kill a bowman , while a bowman needs 25 hits to kill a slinger. That’s a ratio of 3.57 which is overkill imho , and that’s why bowmen are rarely used nowadays.This ratio has to go down, what I wrote in my last post is one way to do it.

That’s why I am asking many times to fix the slinger because I think that’s the missing part for this de game to be a great game.

3 Likes

In small numbers yeah, when slingers get critical mass no.
Slingers can kyte and oneshot axes at a certain point where axes are never able to touch them anymore due to heavy losses and pathfinding/blocking problems.
Bowmen aren’t getting spammed nowadays cause you can wall against them, towerplay against them and there is a destinguished counter (slingers) that no matter how you mass them, are getting countered in equal numbers.

Slingers have no downside here compared to bowmen, they are good against wall ins and towers, only get 1 dmg from towers/bowmen, and have no counter above them except when you reach bronce, which is close to impossible to reach when the slinger player tightens the grip early and forces a tool age heavy game.
Slingers are just an uncounterable unit at this stage of the game and one should look into it and change something about it.
Early game focussed games always become huge slinger blob vs huge slinger blob.

2 Likes

Totally agree. This balance change needs to be in the next patch

Bump.
7643 days since RoR release and slingers still overperform.
There is a reason why competitive game is pretty much “bronce age fight rules”.

Official respons?

Is there any dev reading this forum?

1 Like

Asking this to myself every single day.

2 Likes