Slingers in Stone Age?

I know it sounds crazy, but I think this is how it should have been.
I think the original idea of the slinger was to have a good defense against early tool rush, not completely kill the bowmen.

The idea is to have the slingers in Stone Age with the same hp and range but with a basic attack of 1+2 vs archers and no piercing armor! At the same time reduce the hp of a bowman to 25. This way slingers are available very early to defend against archers even if a player is a little slow to reach tool age, and at the same time they are very weak to rush villagers in stone and club men easily can club them to death. They should cost 50 food only I guess like villagers and clobbers because food is so important early in the game.

Maybe they should keep the range and attack upgrade from stone mining if it’s done this way.

Another idea is to have wood shield in tool age for 1 piercing armor to improve all the infantry in the game, and maybe remove the tower shield or make it only available for Iron Age academy units.

What do you think guys?

I don’t think it’s a good idea to remove one of the advantage axeman have against the slinger, as the tide change once massed.

I understand, but if the slingers basic attack was reduced to 1, I doubt they would cause serious damage to axemen or even clubman even in masses. But with attack bonus against archers and a reduction in bowmen hit points it would be an even battle between slingers and bowmen. It’s as if you’re fighting bowmen vs bowmen but with Stone Age units.

If it’s the case you would just go back to AoE (without ror) where it was just full archer with assyrian supremacie.

Actually I am thinking more of a balance between the original Aoe and RoR. The original game although it was unbalanced and everybody seemed to play Assyrian, Yamato or Shang , it was a lot of fun, I personally enjoyed it more than RoR, it just needed some balancing.

Anyway, With these tweaks I don’t think it will be anywhere near what it was in the original game. The idea of a wood shield in tool age I think will make the game more balanced.
Slingers in Stone Age are about equal to bowmen, but in tool age they get better with stone mining and wood shield.
On the other hand , axemen also would get the wood shield so slingers would remain weak against them, but axemen would not be as weak as they used to be vs bowmen in the original game

I hope I made my point clear :slight_smile:

I don’t think it’s a good idea. I think it’s good how the game currently works, the Slinger being a very little used unit, and that with the advance to bronze is no longer useful.

1 Like