Smurf Smurf Smurf!

All people I now personally, who are smurfing, have either financial problems or mental health issues.
It is what it is.

Currently there is no way as a user to deal with that, there is no way to play ladder.

It’s just so annyong ultimateley. Playing around 1800 Team Elo with a friend on the same elo we often face matchups with one player 2400 and another 1100-1300 with the latter having just a few games played but playing with a skill obviously superior to ours.

Yesterday we played 3 matches, 2 of them against smurfs. My friend and me reached a point where we instantly check the enemies elo on aoe2net when the game starts and we resign when we see the enemy team are smurfers. Their unsporting behaviour won’t be rewarded anymore from us

It just bothers me, that the devs/mgmt don’t even try to change something, or confirm that this is an issue. Same with the alt-f4 map dodging.
Let’s wait for the upcoming DLC.

Spoiler

The DLC will cost 10 to 20usd, bloat up the civ pool even more, and won’t fix the technical problems of the game.

Maybe an interim solution is prematched games, matched by users themselves - to start/join a Clan/group of players that you can trust are not smurfs & are at your own level
 with sufficiently large clan, one can get a good game more often.

This can’t be a problem limited to AOE-2 alone
I wonder how other games handle this
(I have never played other games & am not much of a gamer, so don’t know)

That is what I am doing, but it’s hard to cover the full tg elo range.
Also there is no way to make a tool which automatically starts a lobby/evaluates the results, because there is no API/interface.

Imagine you queue up Counter Strike and the matchups would be so poor xD. Nobody would play that.

Other games at least prohibid the obvious and easy to fix exploits.
Which are in case of AoE2:DE multiusing, rank reverse boosting, no penalties on resign without team consent, no penalties on matchup dodging, not adjusting the player rating with a reasonable amount of games played.

Personally i consider the game to be released in an unfinished state. Especially if the GUI bugs, crashes and performance drops are also taken into account.

Reddit has recently started rate limiting all VPN users, in an attempt to prevent the use of VPNs to get around IP bans. On Reddit there are some serious disadvantages to this (since many people access Reddit from countries where it is not available normally, or use it to discuss politically sensitive topics), but for Age of Empires there would be no reason to allow VPNs. Just block them entirely.

IP bans are still tricky for a variety of reasons (dynamic IP addresses, shared public IPs, etc.), but they can still be a powerful tool for preventing abuse.

Please don’t do this so that some Chinese players can’t view the Age of Empires Discord community when playing Age of Empires.

Because in China, players can only use discord via VPN.

1 Like

Some people use vpn for stability reasons in gaming don’t they? If it’s really worth it is another question, though.

vpn usually breaks everything, either you are not private, or you have a terrible pingtime.

Team Ladder is broken by smurf, I hope the dev will do something about it. It’s breaking the game.

1 Like