Snowy Terrain

Now I might be wrong… but I believe the original AoE did not have snowy terrain, or at least, I cannot remember that it did. What I would love however, is for this version to include more terrain types (such as snow). Do we know if they are going to introduce more terrain types / features?

+1 would love to see it too! imagine any mountainous map with this.

And Crossing the Alps.

Especially Crossing the Alps.

That would highly depend on the Locations of the Civs in that timeline, If they didn’t developed in those conditions, then , that won’t happen xD …

The Choson were definitely north enough to experience snow regularly. Many other civilizations also extended to some northern or mountainous areas where it would sometimes snow, so having snowy terrains would not be completely out of place. I think it would be a nice addition and would add to the variety of available terrains.

As for other terrain types, you can already see from the screenshots that there will be several new terrain types.

@NinjaPret said:
Now I might be wrong… but I believe the original AoE did not have snowy terrain, or at least, I cannot remember that it did. What I would love however, is for this version to include more terrain types (such as snow). Do we know if they are going to introduce more terrain types / features?

Age of Empires II: The Conquerors Expansion was the first time snow maps were introduced in an Age of Empires game.

While we haven’t seen any screenshots with snowy terrain or heard from the developers about snowy terrain being added for the definitive edition, I think it’s a possibility. @Alexastor of Forgotten Empires is the most qualified to answer your question.

It would not be out of context to bring snow lands to the game, many civilizations present in the game had contact with snow regularly. It would be a great improvement to put in forms of terrains that would not be in the original game and that even then would not leave the context.

It wouldn’t be difficult to do; there were even “snow” mods for AoE/RoR.

Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t the random maps in RoR only have one terrain ‘set’, grass, dirt, and the 3 forest types mixed together, deciduous, coniferous and palms?

Either way we need more variety.

@Raw1812 said:
Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t the random maps in RoR only have one terrain ‘set’, grass, dirt, and the 3 forest types mixed together, deciduous, coniferous and palms?

Either way we need more variety.

Yes. There were only two terrains in RoR: grass and desert. But you can already see in the new screenshots that the new version will at least have two types of grass, two types of desert, two types of dirt plus gravel and stone path terrains. That’s already much more than there were in RoR and there can of course be some terrains that are not yet shown in the screenshots.

Judging by the screenshots, the tree types are still limited to the three: pine forest, palm forest and regular forest.

I’d like to see it, plenty of civs experienced it one way or another (Alps and Britannia spring to mind). Also this gets me wondering if the map editor will make a return.

@MysticHex said:
Also this gets me wondering if the map editor will make a return.

Yes, the Definitive Edition will have a map editor.

Expanded variety of terrain tiles could also be likely content that appears in DLCs, which I assume will be coming.

I would love to see snow maps :smiley: whether it’ll make it in the base game we will have to wait and see but it’s a solid idea and one that I think is very much a possibility for the dev team :slight_smile:

Snowy terrain would indeed make sense in the DE, since the lack of such terrain assets were glaringly obvious in the original game. My understanding is that this has always lead to some annoyance in the map-making community, as snow has always needed to be subsidised with white beach articles, discoveries or ruined walls in the extended editor. I´ve always found it to be a creative constraint to not be able to properly design maps with snowy terrain elements. Hope the DE can remedy that! I´m itching to get my hands on the new editor!