[Softlock] Pressing ESC key while resigning softlocks the game

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

:point_down: These details are CRITICAL; DO NOT skip them or your issue may not be reviewed.

• GAME BUILD #7314341
  • GAME PLATFORM: Steam
  • OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

:point_down: DESCRIBE THE ISSUE IN DETAIL (below). LIMIT TO ONE BUG PER THREAD.
In games upon resigning, if the ESC key is pressed “too early” (seems to be during the “Defeated” animation), the game enters a softlock state, i.e. :

• HUD disappears.
  • ESC key, Function keys are not respoding.
  • The only way to exit that state is to ALT+F4, which prompt the “Are you sure” dialog.

Clicking “CANCEL” in the “Are you sure” dialog brings the interface back. However from that point onward, once returned to the main menu, none of the menu items are responding (e.g. it’s impossible to join the ranked queue again, nor it is to actually exit the game). Thus, the only way out is to ALT+F4 and reload the game.

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

:point_down: How often does the issue occur?

• 50% of the time / matches I play (FREQUENTLY) (i.e.: 100% of the time I perform the actions listed before).

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

:point_down: List CLEAR and DETAILED STEPS we can take to reproduce the issue ourselves… Be descriptive!

Here’s the steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Start a skirmish or a ranked game.
  2. Resign.
  3. Press ESC as soon as one has resigned.

:arrow_forward: EXPECTED RESULT

:point_down: What was SUPPOSED to happen if the bug you encountered were not present?
The UI should remain onscreen and the game should remain responsive to user actions.

:arrow_forward: IMAGE

:point_down: ALWAYS attach a PICTURE (.jpg, .png, .gif) or VIDEO (.mp4, YouTube link) that highlights the problem.

:arrow_forward: GAME FILES (SAVE / RECORDING)

:point_down: Attach a SAVE GAME (.aoe2spgame) or GAME RECORDING (.aoe2record) of the match where you encountered the issue. Link it below if using an external file service.
Video clip of the bug :

Lastly, I want to thanks the devs for all the hard work put into the game and continued support. You folks are legends !

1 Like

Hi @RaggedyBowl7570 !

Thank you for your help! And also, thank you for your nice words :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

We’re now tracking this issue!

1 Like

No worries !
Btw, I’d love to know whether you folks have been able to reproduce the issue on your end !

1 Like