I have been fairly consistent that I hold the opinion that Spies are insufficiently good at countering mercs. My opinion on what to do about that, and what issues could occur if various other changes were made have shifted. I intake new info, read others’ posts, and change my opinions based on reexamination. If I was objectively incorrect, or feel I was only partially right in retrospect, I will shift my opinion or rephrase. That’s called being an adult.
I pointed out you played poorly, you are surprised I have friends. Projection much? Also…
I don’t know what that means and I’m not sure you do either lol. What do Marxist economics have to do with any of this other than being a personal attack? I guess according to you I’m a commie with no friends lol.
Halbs have the Heavy Infantry Tag, meaning their main counter gets a 2-3x vs them even when they get a 50% RR in cover mode. Spies don’t have the HI tag anymore, so their CM is far more powerful. They also reach 60% RR due to their base RR.
Is my math wrong? Please enlighten me. If I miscalculated I’m happy to be proven wrong. When adjusting for Pop and RoF Hussars are a far weaker counter to Agents than to Skirms. I fully admitted here that regular spies are within a normal counter range right now. If you double their base damage they might or might not be within that range still, my main problem with that idea is that they will still have serious issues vs some mercs with the lack of a ranged attack (and no, I don’t count occasion charged attacks). Agents is also a bit concerning as it seems to push Spies out of a normal “countered” range in relation to Hussars which is mostly an issue due to Snare and Cover mode. Spies had the HI tag once, so cover mode had basically no risk of being an issue at that time. Times have changed.
I forgot a stat on an underused unit. As for the expert claim…
At least recently, I denigrated my own previous rank, I said it doesn’t mean much and only brought it up after you did. Unless you have improved a lot, I’m probably still better than you, but whatever. Players of poor skill can hold correct opinions, you just rarely do imo. Based on what I saw of your 3v3 Malta gameplay it was pretty bad. Things that work at that level will be fairly far removed from what works at higher levels. Bad input generally equals bad outputs. It’s not really even your fault.
Even to this day you haven’t stopped with the complaints about Rods. Pros like them, but they can micro better than either of us. You also didn’t seem to care about their opinions much in that thread…
(Edit, so you seemingly aren’t too keen on changing your opinions either.)
Speed is good with good micro. That’s part of what you’re paying for. If you don’t think they perform well late game you have Pikes, Dragoons, and probably best of all Unction Musketeers.
Ranged units take fuller advantage of Lancaster’s Law, melee units don’t. This matters more as more units join the field. Notice how after someone suggested spies need a ranged attack I started pushing for that? I don’t think the only anti-merc super-specialist should fall off hard in huge battles. Buffing melee units to work in huge battle is really really dangerous because the game has snare and melee units (with some exceptions) work just fine in 1v1s.
Circling back to here, I respect my time enough not to bother replying to you every post. All you seem to want is for spies to work better against standard units which is bad game design. To point out my issue with that using the math from early, spies (unupgraded) have 5 hand attack with a 20x vs mercs for a whopping 200 damage every 3 seconds vs mercs. That’s a lot higher than our pop and RoF adjusted numbers for Hussars which have a similar range (0) and speed (only 0.5 higher). Of course spies cost a tad more than 0.5 Hussars, but the damage is just so much higher. A unit with such high anti-countered unit damage probably shouldn’t get cover mode. The unit necessarily must have limited counters to be able to counter a class of units that ranging from Swiss Pikes to Harqs to Jaegers, but that also means it can’t be made too good against other things.
This video was from when Portuguese Spies were bugged. They got the full +10 from Constable even in cover mode (it’s +6 and +3 in CM now post nerf/fix). Ports didn’t even get around to sending Agents and it’s worth noting that Otto only used like 6 merc cav. He wasn’t spamming mercs at all. When I was complaining about risks that spies could get out of hand earlier vs normal units this proves both that I was slightly more worried than is fair and that I had a point, just slightly less of one.
Myself and Plat don’t always agree, but even if I think he’s wrong or visa versa, I don’t recall anytime either of use have found discussion not to be worth it. I think we’re both around similar elo, just high enough to understand what’s above us, even imperfectly, but also low enough to see some of what one can get away with at lower elos. (Edit, we’re looking at roughly the same facts and sometimes coming to different conclusions, which is very productive and interesting)
I think adding a ranged attack on spies with 12 range and 10 attack with a 12-16x vs mercs and a 4-5x vs heroes and removing their cover mode would probably be the best option. Assassins adds the charged longer range rifle attack and Agents could use a little reworking probably. Maybe drop their speed a bit given the range, like to 5.75 maybe.