Steam or Microsoft?

Hi guys!
I will buy the game on its launch day but I am not sure what version to buy.
Steam or here at Microsoft page?
Any sugestions?

Don’t know if it was solved but Avast is blocking MS Store’s version unless you put the folder in exclusion list.

Wrong point is that folder name changes at every update, requiring you to update your Avast list each time.

This seems to be a very stupid decision of MS Store, and I think Steam’s version isn’t concerned.

So I would say Steam.

2 Likes

Both. MS store for personal use and Steam for family use. I’ll start with the store version as I own AOE DE already there.

1 Like

@CrissyMesquita I assume you are talking about Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition. Your topic is posted in the Age of Empires: Definitive Edition category.

Personally I would recommend buying Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition on Steam, especially if you own Age of Empires II: HD Edition (recently renamed Age of Empires II 2013). There is a $5 discount for Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition on Steam if you already own Age of Empires II: HD Edition on Steam. There is no discount for Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition on the Microsoft Store if you own Age of Empires II: HD Edition on Steam.

Something else to consider is that for many months I have experienced and seen how users have struggled with downloading, installing and running Age of Empires: Definitive Edition from the Microsoft Store. I have not seen as many issues with Age of Empires: Definitive Edition on Steam.

Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition will also be much easier to mod on Steam because the game files are not locked into a Windows Apps folder by default like they are for Microsoft Store games.

If the game becomes available at some future date on another popular platform without DRM, then I would recommend it over Steam. Right now the only options for buying the game on release day are the Microsoft Store and Steam.

2 Likes

Thank you all!!!
Let me explain a little bit more about the games. I played when All the game were launched for the first time. Love them all… AoE and AoM. One month ago I decided to install my old copy and start playing… it was instantaneous! I loved all again… and even getting older, I really had fun!

Then I discovered that they will relaunch the games. What I like is to play in a Lan Game with my husband and friends (back then was sooooo new the idea to play in a LAN! Other that I loved but HAD to use cheat codes was DukeNuken… hated those monsters lololo got really scared! lololololo).

So if you say Steam is for family maybe would be better for me. Is that means that I can purchase only one copy and play LAN games without havind to buy other licences? And if I decide to play on the Internet with you guys :stuck_out_tongue: Then I must buy more then one copy if my husband wants to join me?

Thank you VERY much for the replies!!! Will help me a lot to choose the best option (specially cause I am not that younger anymore and dont know how all works in the game world nowadays :stuck_out_tongue:

I want to buy AoM too but I think AoE I and II have more civilizations to choose from (I will be able to buy only one at this time, so I must choose wisely! :p).

I saw a promotion at Steam to buy the I and II (on November 14) that I think is a great deal (probably the one you refered to me RadiatingBlade).

Well I guess I explained a lithe better now! And once again, thank you all for the replies!!!

Can see I will have a wonderful and funny time playing again! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Btw! What does it means AOE ‘DE’

Ahhhhhh definity edition? :slight_smile:

1 Like