Steppe Lancer buff

Lancers need a niche and I think vs ranged makes sense since knighters are all round, hussar are for raid and late game, UU are generally vs melee like Boyars and Cats so makes sense. Also the range is good for hitting fleeing ranged units. So I’d say boost their P’armour. +1 and +2 for standard and elite and if that’s not enough maybe +1more in the future and maybe drop hp to compensate

I have an idea about steppe lancer buff. Make the existing scout cavalry upgrade into steppe lancer. If you have more scout cavalry while upgrading, the higher the cost, say, the upgrade cost is capped max at the cost 30 units. So, if you have 30 scouts in feudal age, you can convert it to steppe lancer via an upgrade which costs 300 food and 300 gold (let’s say).

If you have less scouts to be converted into steppe lancer, the upgrade cost is less and you can play steppe lancer. Voila! (I took this idea from Rise of Nations and modified a bit)

I wouldn’t do that, I agree they need a buff, but it should be something else that doesn’t make them more like heavy cavalry. Maybe like more attack, or less cost, or a bonus vs spear line.

Something like bonus vs archers too, which makes them glass cannon type of unit. They are weak to archers when they are at a distance and kill them once they reach the archers.

You are wrong, they are the best at

1 Like

I support this. Giving it a small bonus against spears will make it a great option.

Rof should go back to 1.9 and cost should be reduced to 65f, 35g

That would be too much of a buff, especially considering the training time, extra range, and stacking

I used to have PTSD about SLs and think they were still good until the fateful day I tried to practice that stand ground patrol micro. And turns out even trying to defeat a bunch of Malay knights in the scenario editor was waaaaay too difficult for what’s supposed to be a fully-fledge castle age unit.