Steppe Lancer civilizations should lose Knights

I agree. They need to define their niche a bit more

1 Like

The 1 range makes them like a high attack Cavalry unit, even if the Attack stat is averageā€¦ as more units are actively targetingā€¦You know what im talking about

Thatā€™s why Kamayuks have only 8 attack and yet they wreck non-Cavalry units like Champions.

they already have. every civ that gets them, has some sort of benefit for scout cavalry that doesnā€™t apply to Knight.

all of those benefits also apply to SL.
therefore the SL comes across as a Scout Variant, not a Knight Variant.

should it be buffed to better fill that role? yes.

except you know, the long delay between attacks

they also have equal or more health then most infantry, and better melee armor then most infantry as well. which all adds to them doing decently against them.

1 Like

Yes Iā€™m talking about the SL which has that crap fixed, as no one disagrees on fixing the fire rate

No matter what you do to them, the SL being a High damage Gold Cavalry with no defining MAJOR bonuses (like Camel anticav etc) will always end up filling the same role as Knights

even with fixed rate they still wonā€™t be a heavy cavalry.
no melee armor, low health, faster speed and creation time and higher los. all that screems SCOUT CAVALRY VARIANT.

2 Likes

Altohough they miss the conversion resistance bonus of the scouts, but i can live with that

they also have higher attack then scouts and better range. its a trade off. for all i care add teh conversion resistance back in to make them true scouts.

1 Like

All the 50 different Combat Stats are only as important as the Unit Price.
Itā€™s the Unit Price which has the highest contribution in deciding whether they are Knight-like or LC-like.
And as it stands, they cost as much as 45 Gold. Last I heard thatā€™s nowhere close to 0 Gold.

i said scout variant. not scout.
it has higher attack and range and is created much faster then the scout, and costs less food. obviously itā€™s going to have to offset that somehow. all they need to do is give it a clear edge one way or another over scouts.
scouts can be the monk killer and give SL bonuses vs siege or villagers.

1 Like

A lot of people would argue its actually what made them broken along with the cost. I wouldnā€™t hold my breath over them buffing the attack rate below 2.2

3 Likes

The Steppe Lancers need to be fixed as soon as possible.
At present they are just a useless mechanic.

3 Likes

I really like this idea of giving stepe lancers some use, and a variaty of units in castle age.
Cummans should receive a stepe lancer unique upgrade, so the lost of palandis its not that terrible.
Balancing this wil be quite hard, but it is posibleā€¦I mean Meso have the same problem with eagles and Asians have Elephants and they managed to balance them. Also the 3 civs have unique diferences for their stepe lancers so making them the only option for a heavy cavalry should make it interesting.

Meta would not chage THAT much neither in 1v1 or team game, as its not introducing a game-changer unit ( in 1v1 the unique cuman upgrade will probably not be used for its cost and team games rely heavily on camels riders rigth now , and neither tatars or mongols rely on heavy cavalry for their meta game strategies).

I think that trying yo balance the lancers as a cavalier o paladin is a mistake though, they should have something that makes them really different in their strengths or weakneses, or this whole change would be in vain.

The most success Iā€™ve seen with Steppe Lancers is as a follow up to a big military cleanup in favor of the Steppe Lancer player. This gives the Steppe Lancer a lot of time to mass and raid without worrying too much about leftover defending units due to the numbers advantage from the earlier big military cleanup + the Steppe Lancerā€™s faster creation time, especially after the Elite upgrade. Try seeing and using Steppe Lancers as a way to continue momentum instead of as a way to start momentum like Knights can do.

Yes, more Knights can also continue momentum after a big and favorable military engagement. Steppe Lancers can also do it better due the faster massing time from the lower total resource cost and faster creation speed in comparison to Knights, in addition to an Elite upgrade thatā€™s cheaper and faster than Cavalier + Paladin.

Wow, so nice to hear that! The Steppe Lancers are good and worth their price after all!
Therefore, the unit is totally balanced and requires no changes. Isnā€™t it?

1 Like

Slight tweaks at best to flesh it out, but definitely doesnā€™t need to be overhauled and it still sees play.

3 Likes

There was a game in KotD round of 64 where one player went almost full SL with mongols against britons iirc. I donā€™t remember who. I donā€™t understand the deepest aspects of strategy and decision making, so I want to ask here to anyone that watched that game. Why did he go SL instead of knights? Maybe it was a situation where SL role fit better. What was that situation then? An analisis of a pro level game like that could help to better understand their role.

I feel like SL are like a gold version of hussar being extremely good at raiding instead of analogous to the knight.

It was LaaaaaN against Goku, and oddly enough, SL was the right call over knights, since he needed to mass units quickly. Maybe thatā€™s the (small) niche they have

Yes. Thatā€™s correct. Iā€™m glad you agree. Maybe you should try to play them like this sometime?

i personally think beefier sl is fine but cumans could adapted knights from their migration

also the 2 quotes i set are in my personal belive signs of ignorance