Still Late Game Lag - unplayable

I feel for you brother! I will try to help you more if you don’t mind. I have this theory that the reason for the stuttering is the game using the maximum power of AMD I hope you try it and let me know. Download MSI afterburn and underlock your AMD by -50 on clock and -50 memory (Click apply and save but do not reboot)
underlock

If it does not bring about any improvement try -100 clock and - 100 memory (Click apply and save but do not reboot)

1 Like

I don’t mind. If you could help me you would make me very happy.
Got a newer version of afterburner it seems.
So on core clock stood 2699 and i changed it to 2649.
And on memory clock stood 2000 couldnt go down more.

Look up an AMD guide to underlocking (avoid undervolting). Anything related to reducing volt don’t do it. The rest is totally safe in fact it extends the lifespan a graphics card when underlocked.
i’m sure you’ll find something. Get back to me we try more stuff.

I used AMD Ryzen Master to underlocking my CPU. I didn’t notice any difference.

Ok! Can you set 20 GB on your virtual Memory then reboot your pc. Run AOE2 DE to test

If the problem persist. I have an idea you might like a lot. Download DE Replays Manager then use the downgrade manager to switch to any version before anniversary update
Downgrade AOE2

then check which one does not lag for you. If you do find it, That’s your lucky day I can go to the steamdb website and possibly find which file or files were changed.

Then again if you none of the versions before anniversary fix the problem then my friend it must be a windows 10 update that messed up things not aoe2 de update. Anyways let’s push this first and see where it goes.

Good Luck!

I changed virtual memory to 20gb - no changes.

I downloaded DER Manager. I tried to downgrade to different versions. It always says current version: 56005 on the right and on the bottom after i clicked downgrade now! there always stands successfully downgraded to current version: 56005 independent from which version i choose.
And ingame on the bottom stands always the same game version so it seems nothing changed?
What do I wrong?

Right click aoe2 de in steam library list > Properties> Language: change it to English then try again. Also regardless whether it says 56005 on the app You need to run the game to check the version at the bottom game menu.

Anyways switch the game language as i told you and that should fix the problem.

1 Like

I did change the language. I run DERM as administrator or normal. I had steam open. I had steam closed. I checked the settings - game path is correct. Game version won’t change :x :frowning:

Wait are you using a Beta version preview?

Uncheck select and keep on none

Come over discord we try things over a screen sharing session.

Nope - none already.

I’m not used to that new school stuff - how?

Download discord desktop app and sign up an account. Sign into the desktop app. Join this channel: DE Replays Manager and type something there so i notice you

So ladies and gentlemen - first I wanna thank GregRising alot for the help and effort he put in. We gathered some informations.

And it would be nice if someone of you guys could reproduce our stepps and test it - so we can see if the problems lies there.

You need to download DE Replay Manager - GitHub - gregstein/DE-Replays-Manager: Manage Age of Empires 2 Definitive Replays

Our target is to conform the two patches. The one without lagg and that one patch were the stutter begin.
At my system is was that the patch of 21 October 2020 runs smoothly. After that with the patch of 17 November 2020 the stutters start to appear

To make the Replay Manager run correct and able to downgrade - you need to install that here too

The Replay Managers has a downgrade function with were you able with your login data to downgrade AoE 2 DE. Ofc after that you can patch back with the steam function.

I always double check ingame - I tested if the benchmark is stuttering and if the game itself laggs. I tried with 4on4 Deathmatch mode (so its faster/more commands etc) with AI on very hard. So the AI is putting alot of effort into the game.
Ofc you can also test online but I wanted not to disturbe any more people - because I already did and dont want to destroy any more gaming expierence just because I have to test things.

So if you have some problems feel free to contact. I have already collected some expierence now. Would cool if one or two could reproduce my steps and confirm if our suspects will beconfirmed.

Thank you for your time.

n1ceking,

I have 100% thesame issues. My CPU is a 3800X and GPU a 6700XT. It has got to be the most frustrating issue I’ve ever encountered. For a while there I bought a $50 Nvidia 1030 which ran fine…however now that one has also started to give me grief. I am about ready to give up on online-playing, but hope there is a fix out there somewhere.

If you patch it back, are you able to play with other users online?

1 Like

Yes and no. I was able to host after patchback and start a game. But there was no other user to test with. If you willing to patch back - we can test it if you want.
I tried with greg but greg always crashed because he has a different problem with aoe right now.

No, you’re only able to play with people that are on the same patch as you.

I DONT KNOW WHY EVERY PATCH SOMETHING BREAKS

Gotcha. I honestly do not have time to troubleshoot this issue…I think i’d rather drop $500 on a mediocre second PC to run this game on than spend any more time troubleshooting.

Thanks for putting in the time though–hopefully someone fixes it soonish.

Hi all!

Do you still have lag in the new PUP?

https://steamcommunity.com/app/813780/discussions/14/3193615072210780824/45
https://steamcommunity.com/app/813780/discussions/14/3193615072210725461/38