Strelets, Not dealing well vs what they counter?

If you struggle to counter carolean, get counter infantry rifling asap… That’s it. And playing turtle as russia is not viable since you eco kick off way later than most other civ and you have lost by the time you get the benefit of faster settlers training time.

As a more blatant example, it’s like trying to play WC civ (except incas) and complaining you cannot follow up on resources. The civ design does not allow for this playstyle. Russia is meant to play as a containment civ and do excel at it. Trying to play with a non optimal playstyle will have non-optimal result. If you buff range on strelet now imagine the nightmare of defending vs that… If they need a buff, it’s to their anti cav.

Finally, your strelets never outnumbered the number of carolean at any point in the game you showed. They invested more military that you did, they should be winning engagement. As Russia you should always outnumber your enemy to win fights because of reduced stats on your infantry.

3 Likes

What happens when the game gets to 200/200 pop? Or the enemy manages to have same army as you? Who are you going to outnumber?

1 Like

I think at that point u can overwhelm your opponent by your remass potential and instant inf units and blockhouse map control.

But I do see ur point that Russia needs a buff because it seems every other civs got a buff and Russia being left behind in DE

Giving 16 range to streelets when upgrading them to veteran seems to be a reasonable thing to do to be fair as they scale pretty bad on fortress!!
Abus guns go from 18 to 20 range so I don’t see why that would be an issue!!
I am totally against buffing them on the colonial(commerce) age as russia is already a bit too strong when it comes to age 2 play imo!!

1 Like

I also think strelets should get more range later in the game, surely not age 2 where strelets are already very strong vs musketers, sepoys and japan musketers are not a problem at all for russia in age 2 contrary to other civs and russia should be weak to goons while being in age 2, by design they are a civ who try to punish ages up. But later in the game they sucks very hard vs goons type units (especailly the genitour port goons they just cannot counter them) . I am not asking 18 range but more likely 16 range would be nice, maybe in age 4 with guard upgrade or adding it to a card like strelet combat or strelet horde. I don’t think it would make them op as in late game the pop space is awkward. M

Be confident in what you ask if you haven’t played enough with strelets you will realize how bad they are against ranged cav. They need at the very least:

• 18 range by industrial and 20 imperial.
  • or 18 range by industrial and half pop cost. To be truly effective.

Otherwise unit isn’t really that great after game reaches fortress age

In short, Russia’s answer to Ranged cav is non existent or very poor.

1 Like

Well yes i agree they need an increase in range later in the game, maybe start with a 2 range buff by late forteresse (strelet combat card) or early industrial (guard upgrade) and let’s test how it goes, if more is needed then add later. Russia is quiet strong in late game so migth be good to not overbuff them but yeah 14 range is ridiculously low in late game.
Half pop cost migth seems a bit too much of a buff, by design russia is a civ which have bad population-effective army (except cossacks).

I’ll say it again, they aren’t supposed to be late game units, they are designed to be an early game powerhouse(and they are)

Russia needs to be buffed somewhere else, definitely not the units…especially Strelets. Russia is the civ designed to have weak units and being able to mass a LOT of them…you guys want to change this design, plz don’t.

Why wouldn’t they be a late game unit ? It’s russian’s only counter to goons, so just adding a small buff of the range in late game seems perfectly reasonnable i think, maybe propose to nerf opri in late game to compensate if russian’s late game becomes too stong.

Maybe instead of half pop cost just give Russia more pop limit since most of their units are weaker.

2 Likes

I think Russia late game is not the probleme, 16 range age 3 is okey but age 4 russia is fine. They need something in the middle game because their eco are not fully established and their units are not great.

yes their late game/age 4 is fine, just small buff for strlrts range would be nice (it’s only 14 range for the moment), but it should be 14 range in age 2 and increased to 16 in some way later, i agree with that. Yeah for the middle game it’s hard for them with the semi ff meta with lots of food in base and lots of civs who don’t need map control. I don’t know how to change that tbh.