Stuttering and lag when moving camera and fps drop

The game drops in frames so quickly when moving camera

Have you tried lowering your Graphics Settings?

• Do a fresh launch of AoE 4
  • Head to Settings.
  • Choose the Graphics tab.
  • Lower the settings of Image Quality, Geometry Detail, Lighting Quality and Texture Detail.
  • Click on Save.
  • Close the game and restart it to see these changes in effect.

Have you closed all background applications that do not need to be running?

Are you syncing items to a cloud service, such as OneDrive? If so, pause syncing.

If you have multiple GPUs, then ensure that the game is running with the graphics card which will give you the best performance.

Here’s how to do it for Steam and Microsoft store.

Steam:

• Launch Steam and find AoE IV in your library.
  • Right-click on it and click on Manage > Browse Local Files.
  • In the File Explorer that opens, select the file pathway and copy it by pressing CTRL + C.
  • Now, head to your Windows Start menu and search for Graphics Settings
  • Open Graphics Settings and click on Browse.
  • In the explorer window, paste the copied file pathway (using CTRL + V) into the file pathway field.
  • Select the game’s executable application (.exe file).
  • The app should now appear in the Graphics Settings page.
  • Click on Options.
  • Change the graphics preference to High Performance.
  • Save the settings.

Microsoft Store:

• Head to your Windows Start menu and search for Graphics Settings.
  • Open Graphics Settings.
  • Click on the dropdown menu and change from Desktop App to Microsoft Store App.
  • A second dropdown will show up.
  • Select the game’s name from the dropdown.
  • Click on Add.
  • The application should now appear in Graphics Settings page.
  • Click on Options.
  • Change the graphics preference to High Performance.
  • Save the settings.

Check your Network Usage

If you are playing AoE IV multiplayer mode, you need to check your network usage so that you don’t face any interruptions while playing. You need to limit the number of devices using the same network ports as AOE 4. Plus, you need to also close any other applications which are using up the internet, like your Chrome browser etc.

Choose a Map with Lower Population

With a map that is bigger and has more population, you will face more lag and performance problems. Choose to play on a smaller map to lower the pressure on your PC.

Check your Display Resolution

In case your display resolution is higher than what is recommended, it could cause FPS drops. Change it by right-clicking on your desktop and choose Display Settings > Advanced Display Settings > Recommended.

If nothing seems to fix the problem, you may want to get an experienced person to look at your PC to find the source of the issue.

I tried these fixes before and found out lowering the image quality setting to low makes the game works fine but when making it to medium or hig it stutters even if i play on a very low resolution such 720 it gets laggy even though my pc can handle the game i have Gtx 1070 and Ryzen 7300x.