Suggestion: A change to the Murder Holes tech

Dunno whats your ELO, but thats wrong conclusion mate. Its a situational upgrade. Example, both attacker and defender are in castle age; defender has a castle and attacker has rams. Considering the overall cost made by both, its not expensive by any means, it can be say even its OP once researched cos it locks down any aggresion trown at the defender castle at that age.

“How many players even use petards?”

Just from last week.

Also, the argument you’re making makes no sense. If the tech isn’t useless then it’s worth researching. Are you suggesting 100 stone, 200 food is too great a price to help you secure a castle drop and/or tower drop strategy? Is it too much to help you secure your castle against larger numbers of infantry and cavalry? Is it too much to help with stopping rams? I really really don’t think so.

2 Likes

I totally agree with you. I allways research it playing the comp. and I think its priced right. You get a tech that covers all your Castles and all your Towers for the stone cost of 1 TC. The tech it self is useless against Petards though couse if they get close enough for murderholes to have any effect its too late anyway :slight_smile: I like to play defencivly so I also put a small force of Archers and melee units in the castle to defend against rams. This way Murderholes becomes a pretty good weapon against the enemy.

2 Likes

Murder Holes sounds the most useful in some sort of fast Guard Tower strategy. Combining Murder Holes with walling in towers slows down and heavily damages a common and early Guard Tower counter of small Knight groups, forcing the opponent into Rams for earlier tower destruction or stalling for more Knight numbers, meaning it’s likely easier to make your own follow up because you might know what to expect.

The one use for Murder Holes and Castles is against Rams garrisoned with infantry, for manually targeting infantry units defending the Rams under the Castle’s minimum range. Other than that, anything else that would fight under Castles is too strong against arrows for Murder Holes to work, like mass heavy cavalry and ram trains.

1 Like

With tankier castles (due to university techs, hoardings, Chinese UT or Byzantines), it gets increasingly more difficult to take down a castle with melee units and the Murder Holes technology can be a significant addition to that one remote castle that has to deal with things thrown at it. There’s a difference between doing some damage to doing no damage to things under the catle.

Also Kreposts come to mind.

1 Like

Murder holes is perfectly balance price wise for single player games vs ai like campaigns. It is a great tech in these scenarios.

Not everyone plays multilayer, even thought most people on this forum properly mostly do so. I think it is fair the leave murder holes balanced campaign and vs ai and maybe over prized for games against humans. It is fine.

1 Like