[SUGGESTION] Advise us when a technology is still needed to be researched

Is it this new feature, dededoritos?

If so, I haven’t had a chance to play the new build yet :frowning: Has been pretty busy here. But I did watch the YouTube video explaining some of the updates and saw a red icon in the UI. That should help a little, for sure… but did they also do my suggestion of adding something in the tooltips like, "TECH(S) NEEDED: Chemistry and Siege Engineers (at University), Bracer (at Blacksmith) for dimmed out icons?

“Display Future Items” is the name of the feature that causes a non-researched tech to be displayed at the HUD before it can be researched.

But no, the tooltips have not been updated.

That was there before; was aware of that.

What are your thoughts on the new change?

To stop the units from being shown as grayed out, you can go to OPTIONS, interface and then un-tick “Display Future Items”

1 Like

Chemistry and War Galley, yes, but there are also a couple for buildings. You need a Mill to build a Farm and a Market, a Barracks for an Archery Range and a Stable, and a Blacksmith for a Siege Workshop.

I think it would be far less confusing if War Galley, Fire Ship and Demolition Ship were three separate upgrades.

Thanks Skylarius! This has been said a few times here and I knew from the beginning. I want this option on, but UI regarding the feature improved. The latest patch may have helped a bit; we’ll see. I think there’s still a need for more info in the default game’s tooltips as my OP mentioned

@dededoritos - I’ve played on the latest patch, and I guess it’s just not my cup of tea unless and until the user interface is made even more clear. I’ve now disabled “Display Future Items” with no intention of re-enabling. It was just a potential nice-to-have anyways; I don’t really need it, I suppose. A crystal clear and intuitive UI for it might be too difficult; I don’t know without a bunch of thought going into it :slight_smile:

That would require you to think about the feature again

Not me; the devs.

Future techs possible in future ages showing alongside currently possible techs that just need a different current-age tech researched; without mentioning the current-age prerequisite in the note, and appearing with the same dim icon (unless that changed in recent patch). Perfectly clear

Regardless, I reached my saturation point on this topic and am not worried about this feature anymore. If it’s a non-issue for everyone else and not confusing for new players, then all is well. Either way, I disabled the feature since I don’t need it or want it anymore

Edit: This post and the posts below got moved here by an admin. It wasn’t my choice to put this in this thread.

----------------------------------------------=--------------------------------------------

In streams made with capture age, you can see the level of some important upgrades in a bar in the top. I think it shows the farm & wood chopping upgrades, wheelbarrow/handcart, the blacksmith upgrades, ballistics, chemistry, bloodlines, maybe a little more than that.

It would be useful to have in game too, to remind me which updates I have and which upgrades I still need to get. (It would also help me remember to get a university :joy:)

Of course if there is a mod which does this that would solve the problem, is there one? I think that the feature I’m describing would be impossible to make as a mod though, which is why this is a feature request.

It’s a pure UI feature which only provides info the player should already have access to, so it doesn’t change much. Of course it would have to be optional, many players wouldn’t appreciate the visual clutter.

EDIT: I linked to Tech Tree UI mod but after thought I don’t think that’s what you want: this mod seems to show only available techs not their current level.

1 Like

I created a suggestion about this a while back:

In the above thread, I just wanted Tooltips to be updated by devs to show the required tech info. Seemed like a simple, effective, and reasonable solution to me.

For example, say in bold red font after the cost:

• TECH(S) NEEDED: Chemistry and Siege Engineers (at University), Bracer (at Blacksmith)
  • TECH(S) NEEDED: Chemistry (at University)

Or if multiple prerequisite techs are needed, then list those out, too. This is just an example for sake for sake of argument:

• TECH(S) NEEDED: Chemistry and Siege Engineers (at University), Bracer (at Blacksmith)
1 Like

I’m actually requesting a different feature, a reminder, ie

• YOU STILL HAVEN’T RESEARCHED FORGING
  • YOU STILL HAVEN’T RESEARCHED HEAVY PLOW
  • YOU STILL HAVEN’T RESEARCHED CHEMISTRY

but maybe slightly less oppressive than that. The T90 technology bar is pretty subtle.

Similar to the idle villager indicator I guess.

The tech tree already does that by giving different colours to tech you researched and techs you can research but didn’t yet.

Tech tree takes you out of the match… out of the moment. I’m looking for better integration within the game so it doesn’t feel like you’ve taken your hands off the steering wheel to go check a map that’s stored in the glovebox for a minute, so to speak

1 Like