Suggestion QoL Deer Shift Click

I love being able to shift click now. Now I’ve noticed that specifically when it comes to animals - shift clicking doesn’t cause villagers to go to the specific animal. Especially with sheep and deer (not so much boar) it seems to tell the villager “go here and hunt” instead of “go here and hunt this specific deer.” I’m not sure what the actual logic is currently, but villagers hunting 4 different deer at once causes a lot of waste.

ME:

No clue how it works but it would be beyond lame if you could shift click 8 times and perfectly and efficiently take a whole deer patch. You gotta micro manage it.

1 Like

I already use shift click on deer to queue all actions. If i mill deer, i build the mill with the four vills, than shift click all deer one by one. Never noticed some reallly issues.

Only thing what happens is vills can get confused if the deer moves to a completely different spot and therefore is considers as ‘too far away’, than they will choose there own new target and vills can become split up.

3 Likes

I have managed to shift-click through deer groups with no problems so far

same, i occasionally have one villager skip ahead, but its easily rectified.

Shift clicking through groups of deer works very well, in my experience.

The flag doesn’t get updated to follow the deer like you’d expect, but the villagers are targeting the deer, not the area, try it out in a scenario and see for yourself.

Sorry to break your heart, but it works exactly like you describe :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

It makes me a bit sad honestly how they mess with the game. They think that by making everything easier you make the game better but this is just reducing the skill curve and nuance. It’s fun when you ctrl group the deer vills and you correct them when they want to take 2 deers at once, you’re like “no no stupid villagers, listen to me and take that one first”. And then you feel good. You babysit them to get a higher return. Now every noob can do it.

So yeah thank you DE.

yeah, and more people are playing the game and watching the game then ever before.

so yes, thanks DE

2 Likes

Nice argumentum ad populum.

And whatever has changed in DE is not the main cause of player increase. Much of it is because of marketing efforts and players returning after having played as a kid. The game was already rising long before the release of DE. And ofcourse you can’t 100% call it natural growth when they forced the whole pro community over from voobly by only sponsoring DE tourneys, even when the game is still bugged.

New players are easily impressed when you simplify mechanics, because they dont see beyond the immediate difficulty of a task. But when you have already mastered something to gain efficiency, and they dumb it down. It feels like a loss.

1 Like

literally nobody else is complaining about this, villager shift queues are probably DE’s best feature.

1 Like

I understand why you like it, but you could also understand why I don’t like it. The amount of people that complain about it is irrelevant. Same with sheep micro underneath tc, collecting relics… it’s all simplified.

1 Like

Then you might be glad to hear, that shift-clicking monk to drop relic in monastery does not work for some reason. Monk just brings relic near monastery and becomes idle. :slightly_frowning_face: I have gotten used to avoiding shift-clicking for that situation for this reason.

works for me unless i try to do it while paused.

For me it always work

It makes me a bit sad honestly how they mess with the game. They think that by making everything easier you make the game better but this is just reducing the skill curve and nuance. It’s fun when you ctrl group the deer vills and you correct them when they want to take 2 deers at once, you’re like “no no stupid villagers, listen to me and take that one first”. And then you feel good. You babysit them to get a higher return. Now every noob can do it.

So yeah thank you DE.

I disagree with it lowering the skill curve by any noticeable amount. Anyone can micro deer, even at the 700-800 rankings. What it does do is reduce amount of attention needed for this particular eco task. This frees up attention that could be spent elsewhere. Pros will take advantage of this additional attention - possibly without even realizing it. It means just that much more efficient building placement, production or combat if you don’t have to balance that efficiency with making sure your deer isn’t splitting up 11

1 Like

Then you might be glad to hear, that shift-clicking monk to drop relic in monastery does not work for some reason. Monk just brings relic near monastery and becomes idle. :slightly_frowning_face: I have gotten used to avoiding shift-clicking for that situation for this reason

Are you sure? It has worked for me. It’ll go back and forth to different relics. However I have not tested what happens when a relic it is going for disappears.

I honestly can’t, most of your arguments boil down to not liking change for the sake of keeping the game the same as it always was.

“It’s always been that way” is a terrible argument for things to stay the way they are, we can’t stay in 2003 forever and expect our game to grow.

I don’t mind change as long as I think it makes the game better. And I’m not a fan of this easy click click click click now it’s automated.

You misportray my argument.

I like to optimise these mechanics, and now it’s for nothing because a new player can do it faster without paying attention to it.

Eg; collecting relics. “relic collected sound” > go to last notification > hotkey monk > go to monastery > select monk hotkey > click monastery. Stuff like that I enjoy.
It’s harder to learn but faster than the traditional looking at minimap, select monk, look at minimap to find monastery, click monk to monastery. But now shift clicking is the fastest way and also the easiest way.

And yes these things change the focus of the game. A valid reason to dislike something.

I disagree with it lowering the skill curve by any noticeable amount. Anyone can micro deer, even at the 700-800 rankings. What it does do is reduce amount of attention needed for this particular eco task.

The skill is in learning to pay attention to it.

1 Like

I share your passion for skill based game mechanics as much as anyone, but things like these just seem weird to get hung up on, especially when you actually play with them and see how much freedom they give you to improve and get better in other areas of the game.

Going back to the classic games feels clunky more than anything else for me, at this point.