[Suggestion] We need Ranked Lobby

Hi.

So, the MM system is decent, but what if I wanted to play Regicide?

Even if Regicide shouldn’t be an option for ranked, I’d say a ranked lobby is needed to have a 1v1 with a map that you like to try ranked (Arabia match) or have a ranked game with a friend. (1v1)

I’d say that even some maps (Pilgrims, Green Arabia etc) would worth playing in ranked mode.

btw, We have the ranked ELO by viewing a profile, so if we saw someone with a way higher elo, we would just either ask them to leave or kick them.

2 Likes

We don’t need “ranked lobbies”. We need the “unranked ELO” to be shown in the lobbies. And this has been asked in dozens of threads for months now.

But before that we need the unranked ELO to be fixed. Currently it’s completely far from reality… 12xx stomping 18xx and stuff like this… this was absolutely unthinkable in HD.

2 Likes

A different topic. Isn’t it?

Again, this has nothing to do with Ranked matches.

A different topic. Isn’t it?

If you think so. But why the thing you actually asked for won’t work in reality should be obvious, right?

You are the one comparing ranked matches to unranked matches…

You are not the first with an idea like this. I dont agree with the suggestion. To make things easy to me, i just quote an older post of my. Feel free to disagree with my point of view :wink:

For some more context about this post: The original post is in this thread: Aoe 2 DE 1 min Resign for
no point loss

Maybe this isnt really about ELO in the lobby, but this showed the issue with ELO in the unranked lobby. There is already some unranked elo if you look at aoe2.com. The points i mention in my quote can already been seen in unranked ELO for the lobby. For me there is no reason to show such rating in the lobby.

I do support the idea of some other ranked game mode. In a video ZeroEmpires called it Brawl mode. Every month the game mode changes. I will contains thinks like Regicide, King of the hill, Empire wars, … Just another game mode every month.

5 Likes

You have a good point that people would just play Arabia then.

But you need to remember that if they go to MM, they can be reckt in a different map.
So, that will discourage the person to not do that

Imo we don’t need either. You can play a game with a friend if you want, it’s not ranked but you can play it as if it was. After all you are playing with a friend so, what does it matter. The current system exactly stops people from whoring elo up with friends. You can play regicide and test maps on lobby browser, so making them ranked is not achieving anything on that regard either.

And how would you go about “fixing” unranked elo? You can’t, the custom games and gamemodes are so varied it will never mean anything at all.

1 Like

this is literally the same thing as ranked lobbies, lol.

1 Like

And how would you go about “fixing” unranked elo? You can’t, the custom games and gamemodes are so varied it will never mean anything at all.

Don’t see the point. In HD it was exactly the same “issues” and it worked quite well. The reason it doesn’t work in DE must be something different. And when I see player profiles where the players lose two thirds of their games and still constantly increase their ELO, I guess the problem must be some very bugged calculation.

this is literally the same thing as ranked lobbies, lol.

In OPs opinion obviously not.

I guess it could mean that these players got beaten by way better players. The ELO system is less “harsh” with you if you somehow got in a too hard to win matchup.

1 Like

I guess it could mean that these players got beaten by way better players. The ELO system is less “harsh” with you if you somehow got in a too hard to win matchup.

May be… but if it leads to a player getting score 18xx who needs 1hour 25min to Imp (if not attacked), while on the other hand we see players with 12xx who Imp in 30 minutes there’s obviously something wrong with that calculation. (And to repeat myself: In HD the calculation worked.)

Oh, if you meant TG ELO, the calculation has been horrendous for most of the game’s lifespan, and it will take some time before all the wrong ELO are corrected by the new algorithm. Unfortunately right now we will just have to wait.

2 Likes

No because ranked elo wasn’t affected by unranked games and you could not make custom gamemodes affect rank, even if you made the lobby ranked. But I already explained, why would they even want to help you to use unranked lobbies for the purpose of MM instead of using the MM? Makes really no sense from a design point of view. Of course they are going to promote the MM for it’s intended purpose.

I know I wouldn’t if I had gone this route.

1 Like

I think he means the unranked elo, which you can view from aoe2.net which means squat. A much lower unranked elo player can beat a much higher unranked elo player cause the unranked elo doesn’t mean anything.

No because ranked elo wasn’t affected by unranked games and you could not make custom gamemodes affect rank

Dude, you talk about something entirely different!

Ranked ELO in DE = the ELO you get in Matchmaking
Unranked ELO in DE = the ELO you get in the lobbies, the way you got it in HD

Obviously nobody’s talking about situations where you woldn’t have gotten ELO in HD…

But you don’t gain unranked elo in the same way as you did in HD. You get unranked elo from any kind of unranked game, 3v5, FFA, CBA, 2v1v3v2, Diplo.

You don’t clearly understand how unranked elo works in DE currently, then. But thankfully, I just explained it to you. Now in 2 threads already.

You don’t clearly understand how unranked elo works in DE currently, then. But thankfully, I just explained it to you. Now in 2 threads already.

The way it works is different from how it should work, this is why I call it broken.

The way it should work is the same way it worked in HD.

Nah, now the part of the community who don’t play normal games is also taken into account and they get to have their funny elo.

Nah cause they need to promote the MM for its purpose instead of the lobbies. Lobbies are the fun mode.

Sorry, but this is just nonsense… Nobody needs or wants some completely meaningless ELO which is generated by winning a 7v1… or even by losing.

What people need and want is a tool to balance their lobbies. Simply the way it has been in HD.